• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering length of a jacket

younglaw

Reaction score
I normally take a S, but in terms of sales it is much easier to get a R. Opinions of altering the length of the jacket? Could I get away with taking 2" off? 3"?

I know it varies tailor to tailor, but general idea what it might cost me? (To give a general idea of pricing, shortening jeans at my tailor costs $20-25).

jlluch

Reaction score
it's more expensive than shortening jeans ($80 range). anything more than .75" to 1" isn't worth it because it throws off the jacket (pocket placing and such).

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I tried it once and I can only tell you to be VERY CAREFUL. Taking off too much just wouldn't look right. I ended up selling the jacket because even after taking off 1 inch in length and in the sleeves the rest of the jacket looked disproportioned.

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I tried it once and I can only tell you to be VERY CAREFUL. Taking off too much just wouldn't look right. I ended up selling the jacket because even after taking off 1 inch in length and in the sleeves the rest of the jacket looked disproportioned.
How would the sleeves look disproportioned if you shortened them too?

younglaw

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. You saved me from screwing up a jacket and wasting money
smile.gif

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain.Kia
How would the sleeves look disproportioned if you shortened them too?

It's not the sleeves that looked disprop but something about the jacket itself as a whole. The location of the pockets and where it wraps the waist as well as the buttons.

When they make Long jackets, I don't think they just add an inch to the sleeves and length but in a way stretch the entire jacket. I spend $80 on that alteration and was sadly disappointed.

SK8

Reaction score
I shortened one of my jackets by .75 and was very disappointed. The end result was a jacket that was out of balance. The button placement and pocket placement did not look right.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends.

Do you have a good tailor?
How will the pockets look? That's usually the deciding factor.
Button stance?

I have jackets that have easily been shortened 1.5". I also have a jacket that I put on the other day and my first reaction was "ah, ****, I had it shortened too much--how did I not notice this." Hopefully it was just the angle of the mirror.

Have your tailor pin it, then decide for yourself how it looks. Of course when you first try on the jacket in the store, you can get a bit of an idea.

b

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had two jackets shortened. They cost $125 per at one of the better tailors in San Francisco. The jackets were longs and I had them shortened about 1 1/4 inch. They turned out great.

-The button stance was good so shortening didn't hurt a bit.
-they both had patch pockets that the tailor moved up. Visually that made everything look "right"
-being longs, their extra length seemed to be in the lower torso, so taking them up a bit didn't throw off the proportions.

jtang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I have had two jackets shortened. They cost $125 per at one of the better tailors in San Francisco. The jackets were longs and I had them shortened about 1 1/4 inch. They turned out great.

-The button stance was good so shortening didn't hurt a bit.
-they both had patch pockets that the tailor moved up. Visually that made everything look "right"
-being longs, their extra length seemed to be in the lower torso, so taking them up a bit didn't throw off the proportions.

Regarding this, if it's a 2 button suit where should the top button be for a good button stance?

I have a L that I'm planning on shortening as well and I'm not sure where the button placement should be. Right now I believe it is a little above my navel.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtang
Regarding this, if it's a 2 button suit where should the top button be for a good button stance?

I have a L that I'm planning on shortening as well and I'm not sure where the button placement should be. Right now I believe it is a little above my navel.

It is very hard to say without seeing on you. You really want it to look good on you. That is the most important rule of thumb.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a very expensive project, costing between $100 to $200 from a quality tailor. You can rarely get more than half to one inch without it looking funny. Even if you do have enough distance between the pockets and buttons and the hem to chop off an inch without it looking weird, then everything else will just look off. The chest pockets, hip pockets, and buttons will all be too low, and everything will be out of balance.

It can be done, but I recommend against.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had it done but by no more than 1/2" and even then, the max amount that I was willing to lop off was determined by whether the distance from the top of the pocket to the hem would meet or exceed 9.5" post-alteration.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just stared at pocketsquareguy's avatar for a whole 3 minutes

this thread saved me from ruining a jacket i had bought online (mistakenly) in an L. guess i'll just wear it the way it is or sell it

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i just stared at pocketsquareguy's avatar for a whole 3 minutes

this thread saved me from ruining a jacket i had bought online (mistakenly) in an L. guess i'll just wear it the way it is or sell it

SELL IT!!

When I bought an L Jacket by mistake, Pre-SF I figured what the hell. I was told several times I looked like a clown. SF has tought me that I MUST stress the importance of FIT. "If it doesn't fit, you must aquit"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics