• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds dress shoe recommendations for work

hopfin

Reaction score
I currently own a pair of black AE Park Avenue dress shoes for job interviews, important client meetings, etc.

I need two additional pairs of dress shoes for the office. I will alternate between them every day.

My office is business casual. I normally wear charcoal and navy dress trousers. Sometimes I wear a charcoal/navy suit for client meetings. I need two versatile dress shoes that will work under these circumstances.

If one or both can be worn with dark denim or khaki chinos all the better.

To date, I was considering the AE Strand in Walnut and AE McAllister in Chili. I understand Merlot is versatile but it looked too purplish on the AE website.

Can you provide two model suggestions? And what colors do you suggest in those styles?

Thank you.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first recommendation would be to save yourself some money and get the Kenilworth in brown. It is currently on closeout at $197. It is a plain-toe blucher. It is versatile enough to be worn with a suit, yet could be worn with khakis or jeans. (Purists might disapprove of wearing such a shoe with suit, but unless you are dealing with men who hang out menswear fora, nobody else will mind.) If your PA's are a good fit, you will be pleased to know that it is on the same (#5) last as the PA. It is also available in black although there are those purists will tell you black shoes should only be worn with a suit. I am not among them.

The McAllister and Strand are really more "suit" shoes with their closed lacings. The broguing makes them less formal. Some might say they would be okay with jeans and khakis, but I am not among them. In any event, walnut or chili would be toxic with charcoal, somewhat jaunty with navy.

Full price shoes you might consider would the Delray, the LaSalle and the Flatiron if the lasts are compatible with your foot.

Another interesting possibility would the Fifth Avenue (also on the #5 last) in chocolate suede, if the tap sole isn't a turn-off or deal-breaker.

hopfin

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Maybe I am trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Let's forget about wearing them with dark denim or khaki chinos. I was planning on picking up black loafers for that anyways.

Let's stick solely to two business dress shoes that I can wear with suits, wool trousers, or dark colored business chinos (e.g. BB Milano). I would alternate between them every other day. What is your recommendation in (1) model and (2) color for

1. Charcoal pants/suit
2. Navy pants/suit

I choose the Strand and Mcallisters because they are upper mid level on the formality scale. And since I don't want to buy two McAllisters or two Strands, I thought I would get one of each.

My initial thoughts were also based on this chart...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal pants/suit: black, dark brown, merlot/burgundy

Navy: Same as the above, with the addition of lighter shades of brown and tan like walnut and chili although with these you are ratcheting down the formality of your look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads