• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Clifton Blucher not for suits?

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the dress shoe thing and my first purchase so far is the Clifton from Allen Edmonds, which is discontinued from what I heard.

So the question is: Is this shoe not suppose to be worn with suits? like the business suits? or dinner suits? They look like any other dress shoes to me when paired with a suit. Can someone shed some light?

Thanks.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
Some here may say that any blucher is not appropriate with suits, but 99% of the people you'll encounter while wearing the suit/shoe combo won't notice. It's fine.

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softbakedgoods
I'm new to the dress shoe thing and my first purchase so far is the Clifton from Allen Edmonds, which is discontinued from what I heard.

mine too (excluding thrifted Florsheim shoes)...

I'd wear it with a suit because 1) the only balmorals I have are brogued wingtips and 2) nobody I've ever met in my life would notice anyway

subquestion...

black balmoral wingtips vs. sleek black blucher cap toe...does the brogueing in the former make the shoe more casual than the blucher?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x
mine too (excluding thrifted Florsheim shoes)...

I'd wear it with a suit because 1) the only balmorals I have are brogued wingtips and 2) nobody I've ever met in my life would notice anyway

subquestion...

black balmoral wingtips vs. sleek black blucher cap toe...does the brogueing in the former make the shoe more casual than the blucher?

IMO a brogued wingtip oxford is more formal than a cap toe derby. But that's just me.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to wear a shoe like the AE Clifton with suits. it's subtle, unflashy, and so comes off as fairly formal (though as Doc says, I obviously wouldn't wear it with a dinner suit).

If this is your first "real" pair of dress shoes then it's unlikely that you are in an environment filled with sufficiently conservative, traditionally fashion conscious individuals that anyone would ever notice the difference. There aren't too many of those places out there. I'm sure your shoes will look much more appropriate than the vast majority of your peers'.

Twisty

Reaction score
Damn, this topic initially scared me.

My first 'nice' pair of shoes are these said, Cliftons. Bought them last month...I thought they were beautiful. Still think so.

I don't care...I will be wearing them into the office.

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
thanks for all your inputs. The shoes will primarily be worn in the office, and probably to a wedding dinner.

I went to an AE to try on a 8.5 (my true size) but found they are a half size too big because I can still fit a finger inside the back heel. Asked to try an 8 but the salesman told me it is unavailable because it is discontinued.. Such a great shoe and better looking than the Park Avenues in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads