• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first proper pair of shoes. AE right now has a sale on its website. Its McAllister Wingtip Oxfords are usually $385 but are now selling at $280 for example. Is this a major discount or does AE routinely have sales like this? I'm not in a particular rush as the job I work in now is casual so I can always hold out for a better deal. I'm just trying to figure out whether this is a particularly good deal I should jump at.

I think it's a good deal for first quality where McAllister is one of the more popular models that will go on sale here and there, but probably still around the $279 range

If you don't mind some slight defects, check out shoebank.com for Allen Edmond seconds where McAllister and other popular models like Strand are currently $219

Last edited:

RR347

Reaction score

I think it's a good deal for first quality where McAllister is one of the more popular models that will go on sale here and there, but probably still around the $279 range

If you don't mind some slight defects, check out shoebank.com for Allen Edmond seconds where McAllister and other popular models like Strand are currently $219

AE's website has Strandmok Cap-toe Oxfords for $229. How do they compare?

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE's website has Strandmok Cap-toe Oxfords for $229. How do they compare to the McAllisters?

Significantly more casual. Very cool shoes, but not dress shoes. They come on rubber red or black Dainite soles, which are great. If your job is casual, then there's no need to go into a more formal dress shoe (although the McAllister is on the less-formal side of formal because it's a full brogue/wingtip). The Strandmok is also only partially lined on the inside, rather than fully lined. The Strandmok also has a split-reverse welt, which makes the shoe more casual.

The Tan Strandmok leather is more of a nubuck/suede-style leather, sort of like a "finished" napped leather. Smooth but doesn't really take a shine and shouldn't be polished. My personal favorite. Also quite casual because of the red Dainite sole.

The Brown Strandmok is "reverse" burnished - i.e. the toe and heel are lighter than the rest of the shoe. I think this looks incredibly weird, in person. The AE stock photos don't really show just how much lighter the heel and toe are. Don't buy this model without seeing it in person. Also very casual.

The Black Strandmok is a bit of a contradiction. On the one hand, it's black, which is a formal color. On the other hand, it has a split-reverse welt and "rough" black leather, which makes it very casual.

My opinion: if you want a solid casual shoe, look at the Strandmok in Tan, or the Clark Street (also $229) in Natural or Dark Brown Chromexcel leather. Both shoes will work with jeans or khakis, but neither will be appropriate with slacks or dress pants. If you want something a little more formal that you can wear with dress pants or slacks, or a suit, you should consider the McAllister or University (both $279). My personal favorite colors are Bob's Chili (also called Dark Chili), Bourbon, and Brown Burnished. Walnut is cool but can be hard to pull off, especially on the dressier end of the spectrum.

You should really try to go to an AE store to check out the models, if you can.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Walnut Lombards today........

bbouchard87

Reaction score
Significantly more casual. Very cool shoes, but not dress shoes. They come on rubber red or black Dainite soles, which are great. If your job is casual, then there's no need to go into a more formal dress shoe (although the McAllister is on the less-formal side of formal because it's a full brogue/wingtip). The Strandmok is also only partially lined on the inside, rather than fully lined. The Strandmok also has a split-reverse welt, which makes the shoe more casual.

The Tan Strandmok leather is more of a nubuck/suede-style leather, sort of like a "finished" napped leather. Smooth but doesn't really take a shine and shouldn't be polished. My personal favorite. Also quite casual because of the red Dainite sole.

The Brown Strandmok is "reverse" burnished - i.e. the toe and heel are lighter than the rest of the shoe. I think this looks incredibly weird, in person. The AE stock photos don't really show just how much lighter the heel and toe are. Don't buy this model without seeing it in person. Also very casual.

The Black Strandmok is a bit of a contradiction. On the one hand, it's black, which is a formal color. On the other hand, it has a split-reverse welt and "rough" black leather, which makes it very casual.

My opinion: if you want a solid casual shoe, look at the Strandmok in Tan, or the Clark Street (also $229) in Natural or Dark Brown Chromexcel leather. Both shoes will work with jeans or khakis, but neither will be appropriate with slacks or dress pants. If you want something a little more formal that you can wear with dress pants or slacks, or a suit, you should consider the McAllister or University (both $279). My personal favorite colors are Bob's Chili (also called Dark Chili), Bourbon, and Brown Burnished. Walnut is cool but can be hard to pull off, especially on the dressier end of the spectrum.

JS is right about the colors for the most part, but it is regional. I don't know where the original poster lives...but here in New England and New York the walnut cap toe or wingtip with a navy suit is super popular, and I tend to agree. However with gray dress pants or suits, stick to bourbon or chili, or even the dark brown.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JS is right about the colors for the most part, but it is regional. I don't know where the original poster lives...but here in New England and New York the walnut cap toe or wingtip with a navy suit is super popular, and I tend to agree. However with gray dress pants or suits, stick to bourbon or chili, or even the dark brown.

Walnut with navy is a super popular combination right now (and I love it, and rock it myself), but for someone looking for their first pair of "nicer" shoes, I'd have to recommend something a little bit more versatile.

Bob's Chili / Dark Chili is AE's best color right now, IMO. Amazingly versatile.

RR347

Reaction score

Thanks for the information. I'm going to go to a store to figure out my exact size. Is there any difference in comfort between the Strandmok, University, or McAllisters?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
They will all fit differently, so try on everything you can before buying. The university is on the 333 last and the McAllister on the 65, so they are different shapes. The Strand, while also on the 65 fits me markedly differently than the McAllister, which is unwearable for me. YMMV

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'm going to go to a store to figure out my exact size. Is there any difference in comfort between the Strandmok, University, or McAllisters?

Quote:
Indeed, the Strandmok and McAllister are both on the 5 (65) last, and both are balmorals. The Strandmok is on a Dainite sole (and the McAllister can be bought on sale also with a Dainite sole, but is normally on a single leather sole), which some people feel makes the shoe a little bit "harder" in the footbed. I don't notice any comfort difference between leather and Dainite, to be honest. The McAllister is fully lined, whereas the Strandmok is partially lined, so with thin socks one might feel a little more "roughness" inside the Strandmok.

The University is on the 333 last, which will fit fairly differently from the 5 last, but is generally regarded as a refined, comfortable last. Several of the higher-end "Independence" line shoes that AE made (they don't make many from that line anymore) were on the 333 last, and I believe that last came out at the same time as the Independence collection did (a few years ago).

It's strange to hear of someone finding the Strand and McAllister so drastically different - I own several pairs of the Strand and the McAllister, in both calf and shell, and they fit essentially identically. My other 5 last shoes (McGregor, Neumok, Bleecker Street) all fit very similarly, with the exceptions being the Bleecker Street which is a little tight in the toes (perhaps due to the full poron sockliner) and the McGregor being a little roomier (but that's attributable to the open lacing).

I would get sized in all three and try them until you find something you like. Plus, you might find a different style on sale that appeals to you more in person.

Z-S-F

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of walnut strands and am looking for a good next pair with maximum versatility. I work in a business casual environment (slacks and a shirt each day, navy suit once a month).

With the current sale, any recommendations on style and color?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of walnut strands and am looking for a good next pair with maximum versatility. I work in a business casual environment (slacks and a shirt each day, navy suit once a month).

With the current sale, any recommendations on style and color?

I'd consider (1) the McAllister in Merlot, Bourbon, or Brown, (2) the University in Bob's Chili, or if you're looking to splurge on something really nice, (3) the Jefferson in Brown.

Z-S-F

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on the Carlyle, or waiting to see if the Fifth Ave goes on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? I like the look of the Park Ave, but it seems a little too formal.

Would the McAllister in Bourbon be too similar to the walnut Strands?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's strange to hear of someone finding the Strand and McAllister so drastically different - I own several pairs of the Strand and the McAllister, in both calf and shell, and they fit essentially identically. My other 5 last shoes (McGregor, Neumok, Bleecker Street) all fit very similarly, with the exceptions being the Bleecker Street which is a little tight in the toes (perhaps due to the full poron sockliner) and the McGregor being a little roomier (but that's attributable to the open lacing).

The mouth of the McAllister comes up higher on the outside of the shoes, causing them to rub against my ankle bone. I have multiple pairs of other 65 lasted shoes and none but the McA feature this rubbing. Its strange to me as well, but I have actually heard a few other people make the same comment. Again, ymmv.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on the Carlyle, or waiting to see if the Fifth Ave goes on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? I like the look of the Park Ave, but it seems a little too formal.

Would the McAllister in Bourbon be too similar to the walnut Strands?

The mouth of the McAllister comes up higher on the outside of the shoes, causing them to rub against my ankle bone. I have multiple pairs of other 65 lasted shoes and none but the McA feature this rubbing. Its strange to me as well, but I have actually heard a few other people make the same comment. Again, ymmv.

Interesting. I'll have to check this out and see for myself.

Z-S-F

Reaction score
Thanks! I really appreciate the comparison picture. I think McAllister in Merlot will be my next pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads