• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeselcyde

Reaction score
I've had this problem with a previous pair of strands where the sole stitching wears through on the bottom of the shoe and the sole seems to separate from the shoe. This is currently happening on my players:

I've had 3 pairs of AE, the previous pair that did this was returned to Nordstrom (this problem started happening after about 4 months) and this pair shown is about 15 months old. I wear them at most once a week. I'm not hard on them. They are in trees when not on my foot. Is this unacceptable? Shouldn't there be glue there to hold them together? I talked to Nordstrom and they agree with me and they said if they don't want me to have them try and fix them that I can return them. Furthermore, I've seen several people that have all the stitching worn off on the bottom and this doesn't happen to them. I'm not in harsh weather (live in southern california) and they are mainly worn indoors.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this problem with a previous pair of strands where the sole stitching wears through on the bottom of the shoe and the sole seems to separate from the shoe. This is currently happening on my players:

I've had 3 pairs of AE, the previous pair that did this was returned to Nordstrom (this problem started happening after about 4 months) and this pair shown is about 15 months old. I wear them at most once a week. I'm not hard on them. They are in trees when not on my foot. Is this unacceptable? Shouldn't there be glue there to hold them together? I talked to Nordstrom and they agree with me and they said if they don't want me to have them try and fix them that I can return them. Furthermore, I've seen several people that have all the stitching worn off on the bottom and this doesn't happen to them. I'm not in harsh weather (live in southern california) and they are mainly worn indoors.

Do not think that should be happening...just curious if all your shoes wear in the same spot...maybe you push off from that area with your natural stride or something else - I tend to sit with my right foot resting on my office chair leg putting lots of pressure on an odd point of the sole...I make a real effort not do do that as I actually caused a separation like that in an older pair of shoes.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to expand on my love for the Long Branch...the Waxy Brown leather really has softened up and I strapped this boot on yesterday at 8am and had it on until 11 pm...I was in the house from 4 pm on and it just never occured to take them off...I will also sing the praises of Wigwam and Carharrt boot socks as keeping my feet toasty in them. Also fills a little of the extra room.

Last edited:

deeselcyde

Reaction score
Do not think that should be happening...just curious if all your shoes wear in the same spot...maybe you push off from that area with your natural stride or something else - I tend to sit with my right foot resting on my office chair leg putting lots of pressure on an odd point of the sole...I make a real effort not do do that as I actually caused a separation like that in an older pair of shoes.
Yes, they all tend to wear in that spot. I can't and shouldn't change the way I walk for a pair of shoes. I absolutely love the look and comfort of AE but I'm starting to question the quality even though they are apparently known for their build quality...I'll be batting .333 on keep to return after these go back.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Agree...and if it is not happening with other shoe manufacturers you own then it clearly is a good reason to look elsewhere for sure. I wonder if a double soled shoe like the McNeil would help? Sucks anyway though.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Shell cordovan scores from the latest sale.....

Thanks to Ben @ Freeport for not only helping out with a customs issue, but also throwing in several laces, two shoe horns and a very nice handwritten note! Recommended.

Shoes are 9.5-10 condition I'd say, better once I clean them up a bit.

If you don't mind my asking, what size are the Strands? Thanks!

jfranci3

Reaction score
That is probably
I've had this problem with a previous pair of strands where the sole stitching wears through on the bottom of the shoe and the sole seems to separate from the shoe. This is currently happening on my players: I've had 3 pairs of AE, the previous pair that did this was returned to Nordstrom (this problem started happening after about 4 months) and this pair shown is about 15 months old. I wear them at most once a week. I'm not hard on them. They are in trees when not on my foot. Is this unacceptable? Shouldn't there be glue there to hold them together? I talked to Nordstrom and they agree with me and they said if they don't want me to have them try and fix them that I can return them. Furthermore, I've seen several people that have all the stitching worn off on the bottom and this doesn't happen to them. I'm not in harsh weather (live in southern california) and they are mainly worn indoors.
Two guesses 1) You walk quickly on commercial carpeting a lot and rotate your foot as you push off. 2) You walk some on damp ground and rotate your foot as you push off while walking

Buster Brown

Reaction score
I just received a pair of Bleecker Streets in Bob's Chili from the Shoe Bank. The color is much darker than I was expecting; closer to 'brown' than 'original chili' or other lighter shades. Some comparison pics are below. Is this 'correct' for Bob's Chili or might these in fact be darker than normal (and therefore marked as seconds)? For those who've had Bob's Chili for awhile, does it tend to lighten, darken or stay the same over time?

L to R: Wendell in brown, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili, Delray in chili

L to R: Promontory Point in football grain leather, Bleecker Steet in Bob's Chili, Wendell in brown

L to R: mystery AE shell monk strap, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili, Mora 2.0 in bourbon

L to R: Promontory Point in football grain leather, Bleecker Steet in Bob's Chili, Harrison in walnut burnished (which I've been darkening)

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a pair of Bleecker Streets in Bob's Chili from the Shoe Bank. The color is much darker than I was expecting; closer to 'brown' than 'original chili' or other lighter shades. Some comparison pics are below. Is this 'correct' for Bob's Chili or might these in fact be darker than normal (and therefore marked as seconds)? For those who've had Bob's Chili for awhile, does it tend to lighten, darken or stay the same over time?

L to R: Wendell in brown, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili, Delray in chili

L to R: Promontory Point in football grain leather, Bleecker Steet in Bob's Chili, Wendell in brown

L to R: mystery AE shell monk strap, Bleecker Street in Bob's Chili, Mora 2.0 in bourbon

L to R: Promontory Point in football grain leather, Bleecker Steet in Bob's Chili, Harrison in walnut burnished (which I've been darkening)

Bob's Chili is also referred to as "Dark Chili" and indeed it is much darker than the original Chili. Here are my Bob's Chili Bleeckers.

Rubik1014

Reaction score
I'm sure I may get some hate for saying this, but I just haven't been able to get into the colored lace thing. I seen others pull it off, but I dunno...

Haha, yes I hate you.

Women love it, and it makes a great way to tie in shoes to a tie.

Hate!!

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA - Navy Shell Grayson in 9.5D on sale on the bay. Seller is also on SF - I haven't looked, but he usually offers them for sale in the SF Marketplace.

Nolaman

Reaction score
Another PSA, Shell Daltons in 11B for $310 on the bay. If only they were my size!

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this 'correct' for Bob's Chili or might these in fact be darker than normal (and therefore marked as seconds)?
Bob's Chili is much darker, more of a burnished brown with red undertones.

I was in an AE store last night, and was drawn to the Rogue in this same color. Thought both the color and the style were much more impressive in person than in online/catalog photos. In fact, on the Rogue even darker than JSO1's shots above - though that may have been due to the burnishing and decorative cap as well.

I have been going back and forth on ordering Bleeckers in Bourbon or Dark Chili. Was leaning bourbon, but then saw JSO1's...

For the forum veterans... is one more versatile than the other?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bob's Chili is much darker, more of a burnished brown with red undertones.

I was in an AE store last night, and was drawn to the Rogue in this same color. Thought both the color and the style were much more impressive in person than in online/catalog photos. In fact, on the Rogue even darker than JSO1's shots above - though that may have been due to the burnishing and decorative cap as well.

I have been going back and forth on ordering Bleeckers in Bourbon or Dark Chili. Was leaning bourbon, but then saw JSO1's...

For the forum veterans... is one more versatile than the other?

Darker colors will always be more versatile than lighter. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads