• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Quote:
Well, got an update. I was back and forth with the recraft manager on different options. They said they minimized the dents and would be able to work out the scuffs. They also said I could return or apply the value to a new pair. Was kinda wondering if they knew they were 2nds even with out the brand on the sole. For keeping the shoes she offered a recraft certificate, a 20% off next purchase and basically the prestige package (bags, trees, polish) So thinking I could use the 20% on a shell MTO I agreed. Got them Wed, and was pretty disappointed that it seemed they really didn't do much. The scratches/scuffs were still there and the dents were still noticable (actually found another I didn't catch before) Also I didn't see anything in the box about the 20% off. Just the recraft certificate. So asking about that as it was a big selling point to me. The good news is they didn't seem to use much product on them. I wore them Thur to start getting the cork back to form and wiped them down at the end of the day and not much came off. Followed by a good brushing. I def. missed them. Guess the honeymoon is over with them, just wish the first scratches were my own.
jBDNeOPl.png
Sorry to hear you are still getting bad experience, I have not done a re craft so this is not good to hear. I think if they were firsts, they may have done more, maybe? We all wish we are the one who pops the cherry but hope you are happy with them. On one note, I visited my trusted cobbler to get some shoe taps and he mentioned that he carries AE heels. The cost would be $25 for heels replacement compared to AE at $50. I'm going to give it a shot later this year for a regularly used Strands. I think I would still go with AE recrafting service for the full sole replacement though.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Friday so I went with the Ellsworth from the old AE Corporate Casuals collection with Friday appropriate socks and pants.

Chris

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my snuff Amok's a lot recently and am left wishing I had got pairs in all colors. It seems strange to me that AE isn't offering anything similar (unlined suede) during these hot summer months. Does anyone know if they would be likely to offer these again in the fall?

FreedBird

Reaction score
Just got these freshly recrafted MacNeils in the mail last week and am finally sending them on their maiden voyage!

Jonkr15

Reaction score

I wore my strands all day yesterday and at the end of the day my feet were killing me.

I normally only wear them for my 8 hour shift and I change into running shoes. After work we had a work party so I decided to wear them there. When I got home after midnight my feet were done.

Am I the only one who experienced the strands not being comfortable?

How many times have you worn them? Mine have always been comfortable, but after wearing them 5-10 times they fit like a glove. Sometimes I forget they're even on my feet.

In reference to cap toe creasing, I have it on all three pairs of Strands. It looks like the Park Avenues may not follow suit, but it's too early to tell. It bothers me at times, but nothing I can do so might as well embrace it.

Jonkr15

Reaction score
Weird. I wear Strands 3-4 times a week for 8-9 hours a day and never experience any discomfort unless I tie them too tight.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my strands all day yesterday and at the end of the day my feet were killing me.

I normally only wear them for my 8 hour shift and I change into running shoes. After work we had a work party so I decided to wear them there. When I got home after midnight my feet were done.

Am I the only one who experienced the strands not being comfortable?

As someone who wore pretty much only sneakers and squishy padded comfort shoes for the first 30 years of life, it took me a while to get used to wearing welted leather-soled shoes. My joints, tendons, and calf muscles were sore and achy for a good two months straight until they got used to the more natural biomechanics.

Where exactly are you having pain?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my first nice pair of shoes, I grabbed a pair of #8 shell Leeds from the recent Shoebank sale...then got down to business of refinishing them.

Fresh out of the box:

Free Strip Show!! After Saphir Reno'Mat (renomat) to remove the finish and AE added polish down to the bare shell:

After Saphir Renovateur:

After a brief Mac Method polish with a touch of Saphir Walnut wax:

After Angelus No. 600 Acrylic

This is my first attempt at anything like this, and I'm pretty happy with the result. They colors in the shell are awesome, especially in sunlight! Many thanks for all the great info from this forum.

I'm going to do the same process with a brown shell Jefferson that I picked up at the same time (you shell fans are a bad influence...). More pics to come.

- Nick
Wow Nick, that is one heck of a first post! Welcome to the shell club, looks like you have been doing your homework.

I'm having some sizing problems.

I tried on several different sizes of Fifth Avenues and Strands and they all had a bump in the foot bed that made them painful to wear. Seeing as how the 5 last is meant for higher arches, I attributed it to that and stopped shopping for shoes in that last.

Next I started shopping for Carlyle in Walnut Burnished Calf. I tried 10D. Both heals were loose and the left midfoot was tight. So I tried 9.5E and again tight in the left midfoot, but fine in the left heal. Right heal was loose. Most recently I tried on a pair of 9.5EEE (no EE available in the shoe?). Both heals were loose.

I'm starting to think the 8 last is no good for me, either. I'm at a loss right now and am considering ultimately taking the 2.5 hour trip to the AE retail store in Cleveland to get properly fitted to determine which lasts/shoes I can wear.

Has anyone had any issues with fitment like I'm having? I normally wear size 10D in other (cheaper) brands and have never had fitment issues like this before.
Bumps in the foot bed may be due to QC issues, lumps of cork that didn't level out or in the wrong location. I have a very flat foot and the 5 last fits me the best of any lasts, AE or otherwise. I would try the 5 last again and see if you can find a shoe without bumps in the foot bed to make sure it isn't the last that is the issue.

As mentioned you may have one foot larger than the others which is very common. But the 8 last does not fit my foot either, I tried every permutation possible and finally gave up on it. I totally understand the 2.5 hour trip to an AE store, I've only done it a few times. Mainly because I walk out with at least one extra pair of shoes I didn't plan on purchasing. But it is worth it IMO to find the correct fit if your not sure.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As someone who wore pretty much only sneakers and squishy padded comfort shoes for the first 30 years of life, it took me a while to get used to wearing welted leather-soled shoes. My joints, tendons, and calf muscles were sore and achy for a good two months straight until they got used to the more natural biomechanics.

Where exactly are you having pain?

My heels and the arch of my foot? The top part whatever it's called? But not my toes funny enough. Maybe I'll wear it a little more often.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My heels and the arch of my foot? The top part whatever it's called? But not my toes funny enough. Maybe I'll wear it a little more often.

Sounds like you may have the same issue that I did. Do you have pronation problems? Fallen arches? You may find that a thin orthotic insole with arch support will help you. I use one in my McTavish. I've also had a hell pad built in to my last 3 MTOs just to take strain off of my Achilles.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that for sure I have a high "instep" that I can't bar lace my shoe because it won't lace up tightly. I have a normal arch.

My BB fifth avenue's are the most comfortable with the extra support in it.

I"ll take your advice and get a insole for the strands. Such a shame because the strands are a beautiful shoe and I always get people looking and giving me compliments

ZoNtO

Reaction score

I know that for sure I have a high "instep" that I can't bar lace my shoe because it won't lace up tightly. I have a normal arch.

My BB fifth avenue's are the most comfortable with the extra support in it.

I"ll take your advice and get a insole for the strands. Such a shame because the strands are a beautiful shoe and I always get people looking and giving me compliments

High insteps are what led me away from the 5-65 last and from balmorals in general. I have had great success with monk straps because of their adjustability and elasticity over the instep, as well as nicer looking bluchers. I think monk straps are more versatile than a typical dress balmoral because they do double duty as a non-suit shoe more effectively, while still looking great with a suit (case in point: Mora 2.0).

Also remember that some of the beloved 5-65 last shoes have counterparts on the 2, 8, and 7 last at Jos. A Bank. I tried maybe five different Park Avenue sizes over a year or more and couldn't find one that fit well in various widths in the 11/11.5 range. Boardroom in 11.5D on the 7-97 last fits great though! (I measure a 12 narrow arch length and an 11 heel-to-toe on a Brannock, but no size 12 dress shoe ever works.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads