• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that for sure I have a high "instep" that I can't bar lace my shoe because it won't lace up tightly. I have a normal arch.

My BB fifth avenue's are the most comfortable with the extra support in it.

I"ll take your advice and get a insole for the strands. Such a shame because the strands are a beautiful shoe and I always get people looking and giving me compliments

Check out the above mentioned Joseph A Bank shoes.

Also, you may find the Strand golf shoe more accommodating, as it's on the 73 last. You can call Allison and have one MTOed as a standard dress shoe. Someone did that in the AE MTO thread.

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a pair of burgundy loafers, probably the Kenwood because I like beefrolls. They sell the Kenwood with a rubber sole and a leather one. I'm a big fan of taking care of shoes and that usually means putting topy on the soles of shoes I'll be wearing a lot. I prefer the look of the leather sole but can see the rubber one being useful. Can anyone here speak from experience or speculate about whether the rubber sole looks cheap and if I should get some neutral-color topy applied once I get the leather-soled version? I live in a city and do a decent amount of walking, not on a daily basis but with some regularity.

Thanks!

Personally I'd go with the leather sole plus topy. I haven't seen the rubber-soled version in person, but judging from the pictures on the AE website, the ridges of the rubber sole seem visible from the side, giving it a cheaper look in my opinion. I was actually going to suggest you try getting a V-tread as an MTO (presumably at no extra charge) but I notice they don't have the V-tread as an option on the website, so it might be that they can't put one on the Kenwood. Still, you could ask Allison if it's possible.

DayTripper

Reaction score
Can anybody please tell me what the sizing is like on the Lasalle? I'm thinking of picking up the chili pair that Nordstrom has on sale right now and I'm wondering if they run TTS.

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the Bryant Park AE store has the Strand in walnut and Park Ave in black (if I remember correctly), in first quality for around 240-250 to mirror the Nordstrom sale.

Harryd14

Reaction score
Can anybody please tell me what the sizing is like on the Lasalle? I'm thinking of picking up the chili pair that Nordstrom has on sale right now and I'm wondering if they run TTS.
not sure on the sizing, but just wanted to let you know they are beautiful! got a pair myslef :)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my strands all day yesterday and at the end of the day my feet were killing me. After work we had a work party so I decided to wear them there. When I got home after midnight my feet were done.

I think the relevant point is that you were in your shoes and or on your feet for 14 hours without a break. Nothing to do with them being strands.

FreedBird

Reaction score

What's the sizing like on the McGraw (4 last)?

I'm trying to figure out if an 8eee can work. I wear an 8.5d in the 1 last and and 8d or 8e in the 5 last.

A pair in truffle cordovan is sitting at the shoebank tempting me but I don't know anything about the 4 last.

It fits similar to the 7 last, but with more room in the toebox. I would avoid the 8 3E, especially considering it is a loafer your heels will most likely be swimming in those shoes.

CMT1

Reaction score
I recently wore the walnut shell Strands to a friend's wedding, and I was so taken by their shine after a simple light brushing that I had to take a picture.

I absolutely love these shoes!

As always, I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

IndianaGeo

Reaction score
To the AE fans: I've just scored 2 pairs of walnut Strands and one black pair of Park Avenues from the Nordstrom sale. If you had to choose an alternative color for the Park Avenue, what would it be? I'm thinking of picking one more pair. I'd wear them mainly for work (banking). What would you guys recommend? Do not be confined only to the colors Nordstrom is offering during their sale for this question.. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kind Regards,
IG

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently wore the walnut shell Strands to a friend's wedding, and I was so taken by their shine after a simple light brushing that I had to take a picture.

I absolutely love these shoes!

As always, I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Those are a grail shoe for me, beautiful. Enjoy them!

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the AE fans: I've just scored 2 pairs of walnut Strands and one black pair of Park Avenues from the Nordstrom sale. If you had to choose an alternative color for the Park Avenue, what would it be? I'm thinking of picking one more pair. I'd wear them mainly for work (banking). What would you guys recommend? Do not be confined only to the colors Nordstrom is offering during their sale for this question.. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kind Regards,
IG

Burgundy or dark brown. Either color works as they are equally versatile. A McAllister of Fifth Avenue in other color is another option as well to mix things up.

Can I ask why you got two pairs of walnut strands? I'd say walnut strands are on the casual side of the banking shoe spectrum and actually is the worst in terms of versatility. I find it hard to wear with dark colored suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics