1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I wish it were that easy.

I don't wear suits to work. Usually dress pants and dress shirt, so a brogue walnut should easily fit into a rotation. Maybe with the occasional suit.

It's hard to not get pulled by the deal on the Jeffersons. I have the Rutledge and can appreciate the step up they bring. The Indy seems like much nicer leather.

2. stook1

stook1 Active Member

I recently added several AE seconds to the rotation including a pair of Jeffersons. The Jeffersons are a very nice step up from the regular line. The leather quality is much nicer. I think you could pickup a pair of Strands without too much difficulty in the 250 range on a sale from Nordstrom or Amazon from time to time throughout the year. If you manage to get a nice pair of Jefferson seconds for 200 that seems like a far better value that I'm not sure will come up that often. That said, there are seconds and there are seconds... I got pretty lucky with my Jefferson seconds.

3. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Dude, I think you've answered your own question.[​IMG]

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Didn't like my suggestion? Want a better answer -

Notice I don't own a Strand. Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous shoe and no wonder it's always been AE's flagship style. I've tried it on many many times in different colors, but I always wind up going with other stuff instead.

Last month when I picked up a few more pairs, I was down to the Strand vs. the Jefferson as my last pair. I considered the following -
    1.) The Strand will most likely be around (on the 65) for quite some time, it's not like it's going anywhere. The Jefferson at its current pricing? No way.
    2.) I hesitated on the Williams for too long and missed out on that, didn't want that to happen again.
    3.) I have high arches, and when I go with 65-last bals, I know I'm in for a world of pain during break-in. Once broken-in, they're great, but before that....not so much. Rush Street & Neumok were quicker, but some of these others, most notably the PA, took forever. The Kiowa ripped apart the top of my right foot pretty bad but are now my go-to weekend pair. With the Indy-lining, the Jefferson was much more padded/cushioned and caused noticeably less pain for me. So that also was a big factor.

So I went with the Jefferson and have no regrets. Will I ever get the Strand? Maybe, there's just too many other styles I'm more interested in. If they ever announce they're doing away with the 65 in favor of only the 201, I'd get more serious. Better?

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

The new independence line will be on the 201.

6. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

No brainer...Jefferson in walnut for reasons cited by several people above.

7. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Details please...

8. garland

garland Senior member

The Jefferson 2.0, Bartlett, and Hopkinson will be the Mcallister, Strand, and Park Ave, but built on the 201 last.

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Interesting... Is a shame they are changing the Jefferson pattern to the McAllister, but I'll reserve judgment until they are released. Hoping for the best.

Any idea of timing?

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Walnut Jeffersons are fantastic. My most recent AE purchase. Not bad for $150 after the AMEX deal for seconds. I think the right shoe is a little darker and the laceholes are uneven on the left shoe, but that second one happens on firsts, too. Hope this helps make up some decisions. Also, I've said this before, but the McAllister pattern is not even half as good as the Jefferson.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I like the busier nature of the McAllister when using the shoes dressed down and for some reason the McAllister looks great in merlot - Otherwise I find the Jefferson works better dressed up besides all the Indy line upgrades. Have both of them and wear them virtually...never. My wardrobe is on the serious casual side and it does not appear to be changing soon. Probably will unload the McAllister as it is black.

1 person likes this.
  12. garland

garland Senior member

Hopefully sometime in August. I'm a little on the fence design wise on the change to the McAllister pattern, but it only makes sense to follow suit for the rest of the line. Ultimately I think it's going to be a really big success.

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

#8 Shell Randolph...will be working these into the summer rotation...with so many boots now to wear in the fall and spring these just are not seeing daylight.

[​IMG]

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Geez just realized my summer rotation is getting a bit too large...all with shorts.

AE Spiaggia
    AE Addison
    AE Clark St Natty CXL
    Sebago handsewn USA beefroll brown cxl commando sole
    AE Randolph #8 Shell
    AE Nuemok Olive
    AE Rush St Blue
    Alden tan suede shoe
    Sperry multi color boat shoe
    On the way
    AE Kirkwood Navy
    AE Maritime Brown
    On order
    Rancourt Caramell and Espresso Cordovan boat shoes with a crepe style sole

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

Their (Saddleback's) Thin Briefcase w/o front pockets is pretty clean looking, versus the more rugged regular briefcases with front pockets. I do have a Ghurka briefcase, too, that I use when I need to go to a formal meeting/event. The nice thing about the SB is that I don't care if it gets beat up, scuffed, or what have you....whereas the Ghurka I'm kind of a nut about, lol.

16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Clark Street in natty CXL today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

In the tradition of Indy shoes being named for the Founders, Francis Hopkinson was one of the Signers, eventually a federal judge, and prior to that what would now be called the Secretary of the Navy. He also was almost certainly the designer of the first Stars and Stripes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Agree and happened to wear mine today. These quickly became favorites.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

20. evolved

evolved Senior member

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/#built-in-usa

Built in Texas as far as I know. In any event, if it was made in Mexico, or wherever, it's still a high quality product as far as I'm concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.