1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Am I reading that correctly? $645?

Take that money, go purchase a Saddleback leather briefcase that will likely be of higher quality.....take the remainder cash and buy a few pair of low priced Shoebank shoes, lol.
    I considered a duffel bag from Saddleback but it looked to ridged to me in the photos and was not all that keen on a 7 pound pre-load weight.I ordered a Filson and the Strand Duffel(second) and will decide which I keep once they arrive. At some point I will own something from Saddleback their stuff looks so damn cool...I have an AE briefcase that I got on sale and the craftsmanship is well done.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

That "oxford" if it's the one I'm thinking of, was ultra-wide in the toe box and felt cheap, not typical of AE quality.

1 person likes this.
  3. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

I soooooooo desperately wanted one of those pairs of Maxfields to fit me, but alas, they were just too long in the toe box. BCF had every size AROUND my size EXCEPT my size. My sister though says there's a pair at the Queens Center Mall BCF that's in my range so I may pop out there to see 'em.

I DID find a gorgeous pair of Scottsdales on the 511G at the tough-as-nails Bronx BCF which unbelievably enough are a perfect fit with my custom orthotic—the only AEs I have that accommodate it. (They come with a removable "comfort" orthotic that once taken out, reveals a classic Allen Edmonds signature insole with the shoe name inscribed as usual—crazy!) I wear the orthotics specifically when I'm running, but I SHOULD wear them more when I'm just generally skulking about town. The Scottsdale is designed specifically (as is all the 511G last shoes) with the room for one, AND has a cushioning, black Vibram Gumlite sole. Which on the surface would make it ineligible for recrafting (even though it's a Port Washington-made shoe)...but as it turns out, it CAN be recrafted! Yay! It's a beautiful burgundy loose-grain leather and feels so damned comfy it's a sin.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Yeah...I've seen that one at BCF also—it's part of their diffusion "AE" Made In The Dominican Republic line. Not eligible for recrafting and more of a general width D/M glued-sole shoe designed for low-cost/lowest common denominator fit/comfort.

Not a "bad" shoe, but...nowhere NEAR as well made as the welted, recraftable gear from the Port Washington factory.

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Swung by a local AE retail store today - a few new and interesting things were there:

• Two new styles of loafer - a blue and a brown rough/grain penny loafer on a brown cork sole (kind of like the Alden neocork sole on the Indy) - the Northridge or Northfield or something. Looked mildly interesting - $175, AE line (DR made)
    • A boat-shoe boot - four or five eyelets, ankle boot, with boat shoe laces and a boat shoe side lace hole thing. Also AE/DR - a bit odd.
    • The new First Avenue in Brown Grain - this new grain is a tighter grain, more like a scotch grain (although not as fine/tight as the Brooks Brothers MacNeil grain). On Dainite, contrasting antique midsole - looks great. Definitely a winner there.

6. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Burgundy pebble grain? This I must see, any pictures? Damn, I might have to start making the trip down more often just to haunt the Burlington Coat Factory (although I might give the Bronx one a miss...).

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@JSO - saw those last week. The two DR styles didn't look too good.

don't forget about the Cornwallis, stugis 2 & Normandy [​IMG]

8. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Which briefcase do you have? My SA found me some 3" ones so he's bringing them in. Along with the Strand messenger bag. Loved the duffle but need it to come down some.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

If you have your heart set on that particular bag, wait for the next sale - AE marks its bags down pretty often. If you're truly patient and get a little bit lucky, you might eventually find it on clearance at 50% off.

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I believe I have the nuemok bag...I have to check and will post a pic

11. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I have these and love them. Agree that they don't get much love here. When I look at them in the closet I'm a little indifferent, but then I put them on and remember why I love them. They fit great and I like the look.

12. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Senior member

i've checked out saddleback but it looks too rugged. it also, in my opinion, has wayyyy too many metal rings all over it.

I want size but still want to maintain a more professional look

gosh it seems like i made up my mind already doesnt it...

rediscover america sale.... please deliver.
    the same bag i showed u all was like 516 instead of 645 during last year's RDA sale

13. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

2nd Dark Chili MacNeil 2.0 next to Alden for JCrew LWB:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Wow that mac2 is friggin awesome...the slightly more tapered last keeps it from looking clownish. Would love to see some side shots. AE really fumbled by eliminating the piping.

15. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I've been trying to decide on a brogue walnut shoe for my next shoe. There are two smoking deals going on right now. Strands through Nordstrom sale and Jeffersons through shoebank. Which would be the more versatile shoe?

16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Two AMEX's = you need both.

17. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I will try to take some side shots tomorrow under natural light.

Agreed on the piping-less observation. The improvement, on the other hand, is getting away from black edging.

18. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Is it a true hard briefcase or the messenger bag? I know they blew out the messanger bags not to long ago.

Or seconds on clearance for next to nothing. But that's hit or miss and a gamble.

19. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

With color being the same, there is little difference in versitility between a full brougue (wingtip) Oxford and a semi-brogue Oxford . It's a wash so get what you like better, though I think the Indy line is superior.

That said, I think if one wears coat and tie every day any walnut brouged oxford isn't particularly versitile. I love my walnut Strands but now they're mostly spring/summer with casual suits and odd jackets. On the other hand, my dark brown Jeffersons are year round workhorses.

20. Rob1547

Rob1547 Member

I am no expert on leather bags / briefcases, I'm sure others will tell you about different brands for that kind of money.... But FWIW, a close friend has that same bag and it's really fantastic. If you can catch it on sale, I don't think you'll regret it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.