• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Looks awesome, walnut Strand is a classic for sure. Where are those socks from?

Haha not sure if you'd wear then because they're purposely mismatched socks from a brand called the athletic. They're used more as cycling socks but I have a hard time finding dress socks that fit my foot size and these fit well and are thin. This is the other sock. I guess I could've bought two pairs to match them!

Edit: Hmm I might just do that and buy another pair to match them haha

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Haha not sure if you'd wear then because they're purposely mismatched socks from a brand called the athletic. They're used more as cycling socks but I have a hard time finding dress socks that fit my foot size and these fit well and are thin. This is the other sock. I guess I could've bought two pairs to match them!

Edit: Hmm I might just do that and buy another pair to match them haha

Yea, but then you'd have two left or right socks on..........

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Leeds are quite light like the ones recently posted, I am further trying to lighten them as I love the look for casual use. I have been leaving them out in the sun whenever possible, hoping to post some pics when I start to see them turning.

My MacNeils on the other hand are quite dark and I am going to try and keep it that way by getting some Saphir cordovan cream to use on them.

Love the Macneils. One of AE's best models.

I believe that AE was using a ligher colored cherryish burgundy for the Macneils a few years ago. Recently, they've gone with a darker burgundy. Mine look like yours and I bought them less than a year ago. I learned this from one of Bucksfan's videos, I think.

CalGuy13

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of bourbon McAllister's, and I want to do the shining thing right this time. Some questions:

Is this guide generally regarded as good advice?
What color Saphir product is recommended for bourbon shoes?
Any recommended vendors for Saphir products, brushes, and the like (aside from Hanger Project)?

Thanks!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of bourbon McAllister's, and I want to do the shining thing right this time. Some questions:

Is this guide generally regarded as good advice?
What color Saphir product is recommended for bourbon shoes?
Any recommended vendors for Saphir products, brushes, and the like (aside from Hanger Project)?

Thanks!

Remember - guides like that are written by companies that are promoting the sale of products. You don't need to use 3 different, expensive products. You need the proper shoe cream, simple horse hair brush, chamois and cotton applicator. the steps are simple:
1. Clean off dirt (skip if new)
2. Apply cream in light circular motion
3. Buff off with brush
4. Repeat 2-3
5. Buff with chamois

About 2 coats and you are good to go. I do a light buffing every few wears. No need to go crazy polishing them every few wears.
And, most importantly, don't forget edge dressing - it's the leather sole that gets scuffed the most - AE actually makes a nice product - they reduced the size so you no longer have an applicator 4 times the size of the sole you're rubbing it along :)

But you don't need a conditioner, cream and wax polish. Simple still works as well today as it did 30 years ago. As long as the leather quality is good that's the important part.

MCanavan6

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Mora 2.0s during the Anniversary sale, and after swapping them in store for a different size (from 9D to 8D) I am having second thoughts. The fit is good, has anyone had to size down an entire size for these? The only other decent shoes I have are from Meermin but I wear a 8D UK size in those. I am concerned from hearing that the toe box creases fairly badly from not a lot of wear and although I picked these up for $260 am considering returning these. Does anyone have thoughts on swapping these for the Meermin double monks (Hiro last fits me great)? I feel like I am taking a step down but am worried the Mora 2.0 are one of AEs worst models. Also make McAllisters on the way which I have no concerns with.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember - guides like that are written by companies that are promoting the sale of products. You don't need to use 3 different, expensive products. You need the proper shoe cream, simple horse hair brush, chamois and cotton applicator. the steps are simple:
1. Clean off dirt (skip if new)
2. Apply cream in light circular motion
3. Buff off with brush
4. Repeat 2-3
5. Buff with chamois

About 2 coats and you are good to go. I do a light buffing every few wears. No need to go crazy polishing them every few wears.
And, most importantly, don't forget edge dressing - it's the leather sole that gets scuffed the most - AE actually makes a nice product - they reduced the size so you no longer have an applicator 4 times the size of the sole you're rubbing it along :)

But you don't need a conditioner, cream and wax polish. Simple still works as well today as it did 30 years ago. As long as the leather quality is good that's the important part.

Somehow this step has been lacking in my current rotation of shoes. How often do apply edge dressing?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a pair of Mora 2.0s during the Anniversary sale, and after swapping them in store for a different size (from 9D to 8D) I am having second thoughts. The fit is good, has anyone had to size down an entire size for these? The only other decent shoes I have are from Meermin but I wear a 8D UK size in those. I am concerned from hearing that the toe box creases fairly badly from not a lot of wear and although I picked these up for $260 am considering returning these. Does anyone have thoughts on swapping these for the Meermin double monks (Hiro last fits me great)? I feel like I am taking a step down but am worried the Mora 2.0 are one of AEs worst models. Also make McAllisters on the way which I have no concerns with.

Let me reason through this.

You paid $260 for a pair of high quality, American made, Goodyear welted calfskin shoes, but are considering returning them because you're afraid of creasing.

Perhaps you should consider wearing canvas shoes instead.

Far from being AE's "worst" shoe, the Mora is among its most popular. It's their signature monkstrap.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow this step has been lacking in my current rotation of shoes. How often do apply edge dressing?

When I start to notice the scuffs. Again, no need to be anal about it. I look down at my shoes and if the edge (usually at the toe) is scuffed I put the edge dressing on. In actuality scuffs there are much more noticeable than scuffs on the upper - it draws the eye. You're almost always going to have some feathering at the bottom. That's not what I'm talking about and not all that noticeable but when you get a nice scuff half way up the front of the sole people can see it. It's quick, inexpensive and only needed when you see scuffs have gone through the coloring at normal viewing distances.

brokencycle

Reaction score

What makes a model "one of the worst" or "one of the best"?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think he was referring to creases below the captoe stitching. To the original poster, While I love AE, I can't say that Meermin is below AE in terms of construction. In terms of quality control, acessibility, customer service etc....that's another story. With that said, AE is my perferred choice if the shoes fit.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
I think he was referring to creases below the captoe stitching. To the original poster, While I love AE, I can't say that Meermin is below AE in terms of construction. In terms of quality control, acessibility, customer service etc....that's another story. With that said, AE is my perferred choice if the shoes fit.
Again, perhaps I'm a bit more forgiving in my expectations for a 260$ shoe. My Rutledges have some creasing on the right toe box, but I think that has likely more to do with the shape of my foot than any inherent flaw in the pattern...

MCanavan6

Reaction score
Is it surprising I had to size down an entire length for these? I know the McAllisters run long and narrow (which is why I need an 8E), but I've seen nothing on the Moras running less than true to size.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm in need of some sartorial advice. I am a medical student applying for residency and will be (potentially) going on a series of interviews throughout the country in a few months. Outside of a couple pairs of boots, my AE "dress shoe" collection is pictured below. Now, the general consensus of the internet is to get a charcoal or navy suit for interviews, a white non-button down pointed collar shirt, with a conservative tie (burgundy or navy).

I will most likely buy a navy suit, but I am struggling to decide which shoes to wear. The Macneil, IMO is not an option because it is pebble grained, a blucher, and has a thick double sole. The Walnut Strand is too flashy and informal. My only current "safe" option is my dark brown Park Ave, but many are saying I need a black shoe. The easy choice would be to buy a pair of black balmoral captoes, but I already have the Park Ave's, and believe my current collection is too small to allow such a non-versatile shoe.

Do you guys think a burgundy shoe is fair game for an ultra-conservative interview? I was thinking about the McAllister in Merlot (or burgundy), but am not sure if this will be too flashy due to all the brogueing. I'm not exactly keen on getting another 5-last balmoral, but I feel this may be my best choice. Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads