• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have stretched a pair of Shell Cordovan RL Marlow PTB yesterday. Took me 10 minutes ! Details coming soon !

In the age of google research is a snap

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dark brown sandersons, apparently the only pair they had left in 11. Im considering ordering a pair of brown BB strands as well and just keeping whichever ones I like more...

Would they really look that bad with black? In my head it doesnt sound like such a bad combo...

Black shoes are really the only thing color shoes that work with black pants.

Also, stop wearing black pants. Get some mid-gray ones. Those will look good with your dark brown shoes.

jbcohen

Reaction score
I wonder about this myself, I only wear black color shoes these days, however I wonder. I would like to hear other member's opinions on the matter.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder about this myself, I only wear black color shoes these days, however I wonder.  I would like to hear other member's opinions on the matter.

The most cursory of skimmings over the last 21k+ posts in this thread (along with any other thread that appears in a search for the phrase "black shoes") would strongly suggest that nearly all on this forum see them as a distant third behind some shade of brown and some shade of burgundy.

rickrone

Reaction score
Black shoes are really the only thing color shoes that work with black pants.

Also, stop wearing black pants. Get some mid-gray ones. Those will look good with your dark brown shoes.
you can wear dark brown, merlot, burgundy shoes with black pants. match your belt with your shoes and keep your tops neutral or add a little brownish shade to your tie, pocket square, or shirt.

but to be classically correct, no you don't wear brown shoes with black pants.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I wonder about this myself, I only wear black color shoes these days, however I wonder. I would like to hear other member's opinions on the matter.

The most cursory of skimmings over the last 21k+ posts in this thread (along with any other thread that appears in a search for the phrase "black shoes") would strongly suggest that nearly all on this forum see them as a distant third behind some shade of brown and some shade of burgundy.

+1 I, just as an example, own 3 pair of black shoes and 23 pair of dress shoes and boots in other colors. I have 1 pair of black slacks and 0 black suits.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can wear dark brown, merlot, burgundy shoes with black pants. match your belt with your shoes and keep your tops neutral or add a little brownish shade to your tie, pocket square, or shirt.

We can debate whether wearing dark brown shoes with charcoal slacks is appropriate, even if it is not classically correct, but there is no debate regarding wearing brown shoes with black slacks. It's at the level of a faux pas. I also have a tough time imagining burgundy/merlot shoes with black slacks. I'll echo one of the posters above: if you are buying brown and burgundy shoes, buy some medium gray, tan and navy slacks to wear them with as well.

P.S. you can get two pairs of slacks for $160 at Brooks Brothers tomorrow. You're welcome.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally! In Atlanta on business and they have an Allen Edmonds store!! Having a really hard time deciding between a Franciscan in Walnut, and a Flatiron in Bourbon- will either of these look good with charcoal and navy, or is the darker bourbon a better bet?

On an unrelated note, can someone tell me if my venerable JM's captoes pictured below are Goodyear welted? They certainly look like it...

Yes, those are Goodyear-welted.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your consideration, please see the following picture of my Brown Waxy Leather Long Branches. The were worn on holiday in Banff this past weekend. The harshest element they were exposed to was light rain. They turn this whitish, distressed-looking shade each time they're exposed to adverse weather. They did it in the snow this winter as well.

Thoughts? The other boot has been treated with Renovateur. It always does the trick, but I would like to know if there's something I can treat them with to prevent this down the road.

Thanks.

What is your regular care regimen? I know you said that the clean boot has been treated with Renovateur, so is that what you always use? The brogue holes on the treated boot appear to have quite a bit of white residue in them. If the brogue holes stay white well after the boots have been treated, dried, and buffed, then I'd say you have applied way too much product to them. Was that picture taken immediately after treatment before they had any chance to dry?

The boot with the white film all over it appears to be spewing oils and fats which may be rising to the surface of the leather when they get wet, and is being left on the leather surface when the water evaporates. You may be using way too much oil/conditioner on them.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but I was curious if anyone had experience with shoe stretchers for this situation. I realize that a pair that fits perfectly right off the bat is ideal, but I wouldn't be able to afford customer orders, and to be honest both feet are within half a width size according to a Brannock device. I think finding a tiny bit more room for my right pinky toe would be the right move, if it's actually that easy.

I haven't used any home stretchers but I'm in the same situation as you except my left foot is less almost a half-size larger than my right. Without spending the extra $$$ on MTO I sometimes struggle with a loose right or a tight left. I went with the snugger left this time in my walnut McAllister and after about 12-14 wearings I took it to my local AE store and he put the left one on the stretcher for a few days and it made a big difference. Some have said it makes the shoe look awkward but it looks okay to me. Granted the stitching on these out of the box wasn't perfect either so I'm a little less keen to try it on my merlot pair that were pretty much perfect out of the box. I may give these home stretchers a look so that I don't have to leave my new pairs at the shop for a days each time.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night cut the grass for the first time this year so we have turned the corner to what the good folks up here say is the piss poor sledding time of the year. Another rainy day so calf again today. With linen and tassles. AE made Brooks 7.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want to wear this combination and look bad, go ahead, but stop giving bad advice to other forum members.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night cut the grass for the first time this year so we have turned the corner to what the good folks up here say is the piss poor sledding time of the year. Another rainy day so calf again today. With linen and tassles. AE made Brooks 7.

Looking good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads