1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Send the Dalton webgem back so that one of us can buy it as a second! :D

2. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Sorry was trying to post my last reply on my iPad and did not do so well. Yes the bourbon strand is calf. So I guess I'm trying to decide on going that direction for new and diffrent color and save a few colors or just get the brown shell strand

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Get the brown shell Strands. It's one of the most attractive models AE makes, and it is shell. :slayer:

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I don't own them -- I have them in walnut calf -- but I agree.

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

thinkin 'bout pulling the trigger on a pair of Bayfields. how does the sizing work in terms of the 8 last? 10D in the 8 last = 10D in Bayfield?

also: i've seen a lot of you guys say that the Bayfields run narrow. you guys know that CXL is well-known for stretching a lot, right?

6. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

This is getting so blown out of proportion lately. They will not magically stretch a half-size. That is bullshit.

7. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

+1 WTF?

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I agree.

9. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I had the Bayfields in a D, needed an E. They did not stretch at all in the width.

On my Indy boots, the lacing has gotten a little bit closer, but that's it.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Mario, I'm glad you threw this out there. I think all this talk and asking for advice about sizing and stretching in general is mostly nonsense and probably leading people in a bad direction.

People should get their feet properly measured and default to that shoe size, unless recommended specifically by the manufacturer (e.g..: this last always runs 1/2 small). If you have to mess around with the sizing, then the shoe is just not right for your foot. Sizing up or down in length or width just creates other problems. This is one of the reasons AE makes different lasts - to accommodate different foot types.

And if CXL stretched so much as to change the sizing, do you think reputable manufactures like AE would be using it, or at least not giving out advice?

Seriously, all these gyrations are way out of hand. They will only lead people to trouble.

11. gooter

gooter Senior member

You guys got me all scared that the Bayfields are gonna be too narrow [​IMG]

12. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Chromexcel stretches a bit, not so much that it changes the size of the shoe much. But it does wrinkle and crease more than calf or shell cordovan, which can give the appearance of being "stretched out". It is clearly suited for more casual use.

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Do you guys use shoe trees in your Dalton or other boots? I cant really get mine in.

14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Always. On my boots I use combination trees because they happen to fit a little better. Depending on shoe size, tree size, shoe last, and tree design, your trees for normal shoes may or may not work for your Daltons; might have to size down on the trees.

15. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Just curious for those who own suedes. Found some old stock AE suedes at the lock Rack, but they have a semi noticeable bald spot. It's small but the white bald spot kinda pops out amongst the brown suede. Is there a way to touch it up so that it blends in better with the brown?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.