• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry was trying to post my last reply on my iPad and did not do so well. Yes the bourbon strand is calf. So I guess I'm trying to decide on going that direction for new and diffrent color and save a few colors or just get the brown shell strand

Get the brown shell Strands. It's one of the most attractive models AE makes, and it is shell. :slayer:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thinkin 'bout pulling the trigger on a pair of Bayfields. how does the sizing work in terms of the 8 last? 10D in the 8 last = 10D in Bayfield?

also: i've seen a lot of you guys say that the Bayfields run narrow. you guys know that CXL is well-known for stretching a lot, right?

ElDave

Reaction score

ElDave

Reaction score

thinkin 'bout pulling the trigger on a pair of Bayfields. how does the sizing work in terms of the 8 last? 10D in the 8 last = 10D in Bayfield?
also: i've seen a lot of you guys say that the Bayfields run narrow. you guys know that CXL is well-known for stretching a lot, right?

I had the Bayfields in a D, needed an E. They did not stretch at all in the width.

On my Indy boots, the lacing has gotten a little bit closer, but that's it.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is getting so blown out of proportion lately. They will not magically stretch a half-size. That is bullshit.

Mario, I'm glad you threw this out there. I think all this talk and asking for advice about sizing and stretching in general is mostly nonsense and probably leading people in a bad direction.

People should get their feet properly measured and default to that shoe size, unless recommended specifically by the manufacturer (e.g..: this last always runs 1/2 small). If you have to mess around with the sizing, then the shoe is just not right for your foot. Sizing up or down in length or width just creates other problems. This is one of the reasons AE makes different lasts - to accommodate different foot types.

And if CXL stretched so much as to change the sizing, do you think reputable manufactures like AE would be using it, or at least not giving out advice?

Seriously, all these gyrations are way out of hand. They will only lead people to trouble.

gooter

Reaction score
You guys got me all scared that the Bayfields are gonna be too narrow
cry.gif

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chromexcel stretches a bit, not so much that it changes the size of the shoe much. But it does wrinkle and crease more than calf or shell cordovan, which can give the appearance of being "stretched out". It is clearly suited for more casual use.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys use shoe trees in your Dalton or other boots?  I cant really get mine in.

Always. On my boots I use combination trees because they happen to fit a little better. Depending on shoe size, tree size, shoe last, and tree design, your trees for normal shoes may or may not work for your Daltons; might have to size down on the trees.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Just curious for those who own suedes. Found some old stock AE suedes at the lock Rack, but they have a semi noticeable bald spot. It's small but the white bald spot kinda pops out amongst the brown suede. Is there a way to touch it up so that it blends in better with the brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics