Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Would appreciate some opinions here. Today was a bonanza for me. FedEx delivered some walnut (brown waxy) Long Branches, which are perfect. They also delivered the WebGem burgundy shell Daltons that I ordered in Sept. I only have one other pair of AE shell shoes/boots, the walnut shell Dalton, of which the quality/workmanship was not perfect but acceptable. And I love those boots. So I don't have much to compare or judge this by.

This 2nd pair of AE shell Daltons has me concerned. There is a lot of creasing all over the boots and some creases are deep enough that it looks like the finishing didn't reach the deeper grooves. But I'm still okay with that as I figure with wear I'll get creases (rolls) anyway and I can apply some cordo cream to the grooves and polish. However, there is a crease/bump on the right wingtip toe. The toe cap should not wrinkle or crease so wear will not disguise this with time.

It's probably a personal thing about how much tolerance one has for these things and whether it will bother me over time. But I'd like to hear what some of you would do if you received these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

2. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I can't comment on the whole thing. But the upper part of the uppers should be fine.

3. axedatta

axedatta Member

So i got a pair of Daltons in Walnut, just wondering what the butyl soles are about? Are they good for rainy weather?

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I know not everyone agrees with me, but for the price they charge for these cordovan webgems, they should be perfect. There's no excuse for not doing a little quality control and a thorough inspection on a $500 - $600 item before it leaves the factory. I don't think that wrinkle will go away, as you say. I also don't know if they can make another pair for you. But if it were me, I would ask.

5. gooter

gooter Senior member

They look fine to me, but if you're not happy send them back.
    edit: keep in mind you're wearing a dead animals skin, it's never going to be perfect

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Agreed. If these were firsts and you paid full price I would be bothered by the crease/bump on the toe. The higher part of the boot near the ankle will probably crease like this anyway.

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Guys need some of your thoughts. I have the web gem shell burgundy Dalton's just get shipped and I think know I want more pair. Either the brown shell strands or the new bourbon shell. What do you guys think? I believe the bourbon collection comes out Monday and maybe I can get a better idea of the color then

8. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Guys need some of your thoughts. I have the web gem shell burgundy Dalton's just get shipped and I think know I want more pair. Either the brown shell strands or the new bourbon shell. What do you guys think? I believe the bourbon collection comes out Monday and maybe I can get a better idea of the color then

9. otc

otc Senior member

customer service online chat said it was on the 1 last---same as the Dalton.

10. MOCKBA

MOCKBA Active Member

The mark on the side would not bother me as it will seemingly happen anyway; that very visible crease on the toe is another matter though. The boot will never naturally crease at that part of the toe cap and thus, that defect will never blend in - it also just happens to be on the most visible part of the boot. My opinion is that you should post them back, especially as these cordovan models cost $600. One of the reasons I continue to spend my money with Allen Edmonds is the phenomenal customer service, I would imagine they will remedy this for you.

11. shifty39

shifty39 Member

If you get a chance, could you take a photo of them? Would love to see a pair of navy cronmoks

12. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Great choice. I would wait for the bourbon, though, to grab a look! (Even though AEs pics will be horrible as always!)

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I thought the bourbon color was for calf, not shell.

14. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

You might be right!

Anyways, there is always the "truffle shell" option, which is beautiful.

15. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

The brown ones are, yes. Black is regular calf skin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.