• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDad

Reaction score

Quote:
I spent kind of a stupid amount of money on products (and shoe bags - I got five pairs of AE's during he sale, plus three pairs of Aldens. Since three were seconds that don't come with bags, and the Alden bags suck, I bought several more pairs, including for older pairs that didn't have bags). General consensus was Bick 4 as a cleaner/conditioner. I got that and like it, but feel like it leans slightly more cleaner, so I also got Saphir Renovateur, which leans more conditioner. Also got some cream wax - don't really want shiny finish, so that is it for me. Except brushes. And some other stuff. The shoe thing has a tail...
I feel the opposite way from you...however results are results. I don't know all the reasons why,but the more knowledgeable members in the shoe care thread recommend Bic 4 for conditioning. As you may have notice, when you apply Bic 4, it leaves very little shine, meaning deeper absorbtion. When you apply Renovateur it leaves a higher shine, which means it is "more" topical. Visit the thread for a more detailed explanation. Also moisturize only as needed (sparingly.)

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel the opposite way from you...however results are results.

I don't know all the reasons why,but the more knowledgeable members in the shoe care thread recommend Bic 4 for conditioning.

As you may have notice, when you apply Bic 4, it leaves very little shine, meaning deeper absorbtion. When you apply Renovateur it leaves a higher shine, which means it is "more" topical.

Visit the thread for a more detailed explanation.

Also moisturize only as needed (sparingly.)

I love the Bick 4 - it us mainly what I'm using on my AE's, especially the two pairs of McTavishes and the Brooks Aberdeens. My Alden wingtip boots and longwing shoes got Saphir to start, but Bick 4 will likely be the go-to. The Indy boots are Natty CXL, so they're getting the Alden boot cream and maybe some Venetian at some point - they don't need much.

Anyway, I didn't mean to sound down on Bick 4 - I'm going to use it on my vintage BMW, which is something I value a lot more than shoes!

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received the golden brown long branches that I ordered during the RDA. I put them on and am thinking I have to take them back. I don't have experience purchasing boots, but it definitely looks like the first eyelets don't line up, especially the right boot. (please excuse the wool socks and bare leg)

If you received these as firsts, would you keep them?
@fiddlestyx

Send them back...if they were seconds I would keep them

Traditional lacing where the lowest cross bar is under can help a little. Definitely seconds and should go back unless they make a major adjustment that you can live with. RDA seconds = $219

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

I just received the golden brown long branches that I ordered during the RDA. I put them on and am thinking I have to take them back. I don't have experience purchasing boots, but it definitely looks like the first eyelets don't line up, especially the right boot. (please excuse the wool socks and bare leg) If you received these as firsts, would you keep them?
Unacceptable. Send them back without giving it a second thought.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E is struggling with misaligned eyestays these days. Strugglin' hard.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE is struggling with misaligned eyestays these days. Strugglin' hard.

I wonder. Is it a stitching or lasting error?

phsiao08

Reaction score
Hi guys, I saw "Thomastown" appear on the shoebank site, any one have any idea what model this it?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a pumping out 2000 shoes a day error.

That is a crazy amount of product that they move! I think Vass makes 2000 in a whole year.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: The number of no warranty shoes that hit the Bay daily is probably more than Vass, Carmina, Viberg and Alden combined make in a month. It is amazing how agitated I find myself with AE now that the MTO program is gone...lol

fiddlestyx

Reaction score
Unacceptable. Send them back without giving it a second thought.

Yes, I'd keep them. A blind man on a galloping horse...

EDIT: I'd keep them, but demand a reduction.

Traditional lacing where the lowest cross bar is under can help a little. Definitely seconds and should go back unless they make a major adjustment that you can live with. RDA seconds = $219
I appreciate the input. I tried wearing them around the house last night but couldn't stop noticing the misaligned eyelet so I don't think I could keep them, even as seconds. If the misaligned eyelet was higher up the boot, it'd probably be another story.

This is my 5th AE shoe but the first one with any sort of issue, so I guess that's not terrible. I'll have to swing by the store today or tomorrow.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couple more pics of old black cherry shell. the comparison pic 2nd is a vintage Florsheim burgundy shell. this fit me perfect, and the color is all but extinct, but a tiny tear has started to develop in them :(

Robertson

Reaction score
The first shoe I wanted from AE was a penny loafer, but I couldn't get any of the lasts to fit. I have a low instep with a narrow heel.

Then low and behold - the answer was on the Shoebank, the discontinued Patriot for only $127!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems