• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMT1

Reaction score

I think the type of leather paltes apart on why the Walden didn't freak in as comfortably as the kenwood. If I'm not mistaken the burgundy walden does not use full grain leather. I think it uses polished burgundy leather.

Right. The Walden is corrected grain. My leather knowledge at the time of purchase was pretty nonexistent, and I preferred the more robust burgundy color of the Walden to the comparatively muted Kenwood. I remember thinking "Wow, this leather is shiny and feels slick like shell, it must be a step up from the usual calf!"

Heh. If only I knew then what I know now.

Of course, the finish difference is due to the CG lacquer layer. Ultimately I do not find the Waldens to be uncomfortable, but they are still very stiff even after a lot of wear while the Kenwoods feel like slippers.

Like the Kenwood, I bought the Walden seconds to have something that looked decent, that I could wear with and through just about anything, and so far they held up well in the year that I have owned the shoe. I don't seem to have the bad creasing that can develop on a CG shoe, at least not yet, and they have been worn through the same kind of wet weather that left water marks on the Kenwood without any marring.

I guess the the good thing is that with those two shoes relegated to junior varsity status, it leaves room in my closet for natural and burgundy shell loafers at some point. I've been eying Rancourt's natural shell full-strap along with Alden's Color #8 LHS.

pizzapie

Reaction score
Gave up on trying to size myself through trial and error (shoebank) and went into my local store and was sized properly and purchased my first pair of AEs! They are the McAllister in walnut with Dainite sole. I had previously felt guilty "using" the sales associate to then buy from the shoebank. Suffice it to say, I am very happy with that decision and the time and effort spent helping me was well worth the $60 cost difference.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting those prices for firsts? Lowest I've seen is $349 during last year's anniversary sale, and full retail was $445 vs $495 now. I agree though, the Jefferson is so solid. For $389, probably a good price.

Re: Seconds pricing, the reason the Harrisons went for $177 was because they were close out, and had been for quite a while. I think they were at $189 and then they dropped than to $177. Before $189 they were holding at $227 I think. The Jeffersons aren't on close out, and while they might be in the future, they seem to be a pretty popular model and likely won't be. Below $299 for seconds Jeffersons hasn't been seen. I think they were at $299 during last year's anniversary sale.
If my memory serves me correct, there was also a 15% coupon in the back of the AE magazine. So roughly $300 shipped. I was shocked at that price also and I definitely didn't need another longwing blucher, but at $300, it was hard not to bite.

I also saw Jeffersons offered at $200 on Amazon, but sizes were limited and the only color available was black.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gave up on trying to size myself through trial and error (shoebank) and went into my local store and was sized properly and purchased my first pair of AEs! They are the McAllister in walnut with Dainite sole. I had previously felt guilty "using" the sales associate to then buy from the shoebank. Suffice it to say, I am very happy with that decision and the time and effort spent helping me was well worth the $60 cost difference.
Very nice - I have the walnut McAllister and it is one of my favorite AE shoe. Chris

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to buy a black shoe for formal events. Right now there is a sale on the Carlyle. But there seems to be more hype/popularity around the Park Ave. It's not on sale right now though and I have no idea when/if it will be.

Since I can only buy 1 shoe, should I go with the Park Ave. or the Carlyle? There's no urgency right now, would just like to make the best decision and need some advice.
I've had a pair of Park Avenues for the last five years. They've been my go-to for funerals, black tie, job interviews -- I even got married in 'em. Then in January I ordered a pair of black Carlyles with a Dainite sole, since I'm in a tuxedo often and sometimes the weather is nasty.

For me it's no contest. The Carlyle is a much sleeker shoe in every way; I'm happy to lose the captoe if it means my feet look that much better otherwise. If I wore a suit to work every day I could see the utility in having two different pairs of black balmorals, but as it is the Park Aves are now more or less relegated to the back of my closet.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gobi love today

Those look great. I see pictures like these and think I should just jump the gun on a pair from the Shoebank, especially at $149. But, then I remember all the rain and snow we get in Chicago and think it's better to wait and see if the Tan Saddle version drops at all in price. Quit posting pictures like this, or I'm going to end up with both pairs.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where are you getting those prices for firsts? Lowest I've seen is $349 during last year's anniversary sale, and full retail was $445 vs $495 now. I agree though, the Jefferson is so solid. For $389, probably a good price. 

Re: Seconds pricing, the reason the Harrisons went for $177 was because they were close out, and had been for quite a while. I think they were at $189 and then they dropped than to $177. Before $189 they were holding at $227 I think. The Jeffersons aren't on close out, and while they might be in the future, they seem to be a pretty popular model and likely won't be. Below $299 for seconds Jeffersons hasn't been seen. I think they were at $299 during last year's anniversary sale. 

I purchased two pair of Jefferson 2nds at $225 a piece during a sale 18 months ago. I think it was the RDA, but I cant recall. In any event, for quite some time, the entire Independence collection was at $227, which can still be seen on a lot of the boxes.

I think the days of $225 Jefferson 2nds are over, but below $299 has certainly been seen and likely will be seen again.

yanagi

Reaction score
I've had a pair of Park Avenues for the last five years. They've been my go-to for funerals, black tie, job interviews -- I even got married in 'em. Then in January I ordered a pair of black Carlyles with a Dainite sole, since I'm in a tuxedo often and sometimes the weather is nasty.

For me it's no contest. The Carlyle is a much sleeker shoe in every way; I'm happy to lose the captoe if it means my feet look that much better otherwise. If I wore a suit to work every day I could see the utility in having two different pairs of black balmorals, but as it is the Park Aves are now more or less relegated to the back of my closet.

I agree that the 108 last is sleeker than the 65, and I think many others would agree too.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The Dalton is my favorite shoe. I have them in Ox Blood, Walnut, and black. These are well broken in and are a joy to wear. What is your favorite pair of AEs?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Dalton is my favorite shoe. I have them in Ox Blood, Walnut, and black. These are well broken in and are a joy to wear. What is your favorite pair of AEs?

Those look great!

My fav is probably my cappuccino shell Bayfield (brown shell Dundee as a close second)

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me correct, there was also a 15% coupon in the back of the AE magazine. So roughly $300 shipped. I was shocked at that price also and I definitely didn't need another longwing blucher, but at $300, it was hard not to bite.

I also saw Jeffersons offered at $200 on Amazon, but sizes were limited and the only color available was black.
Ahh..I did not get the 15% off code in the catalog. I think it was only some that got them. I must have either bought too much that i didn't need to be further enticed or not enough to be rewarded. Not sure how they decided.

Amazon is such a crapshoot in terms of sizing/colors that I don't consider it too often, especially since normal widths are harder to find on sale.

CMT1

Reaction score

I'm a huge fan of the Dalton as well and look forward to future options beyond my single oxblood pair, but in the end my favorite shoe is a tossup between my burgundy Cambridge and walnut shell Strands.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Those look great!

My fav is probably my cappuccino shell Bayfield (brown shell Dundee as a close second)

I LOVE those! I only have one pair of Shell shoes (MacNeil). But now that I have a good rotation of calf, I will start replacing them with shell. Great shoe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads