• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but I'm asking it anyway.

Have any of you ordered any tongue pads off of Amazon.com?

I've got a couple of shoes on the 65 last that just aren't quite fitting right. I've got a pair (Black Hills) that fits spot-on, but both the Strands I ordered a while back and my recently received Mctavish are just a touch bigger. Not much bigger, just a bit. Not enough to cause heel slippage or anything, but just enough to be annoying. I'm thinking adding a tongue pad might help with filling the volume of the shoe and avoiding bowing issues on the side.

I know some folks get their cobbler to do them, but it's not like this is rocket science here. It's a pad that gets stuck to a tongue. I've been using stickers for more than 40 years now, and I'm pretty confident I can stick something to the interior of my shoe. Of course, then I started overthinking things:

What size tongue pad would I order for a 12D shoe?

How hard is it to remove the adhesive if I need to take the pad out at a later point (like, say, the summer when feet tend to swell a bit more in the heat)?

Should I even do this? I mean, I can't return the Strands, as I've worn them plenty, so I'd start with putting a pair of pads in these. But, I could return the Mctavish, only it's a clearance item and I'm not seeing any in the color I want in any of the widths a half-size down. I figured that rather than returning and paying a $10 restocking fee on a shoe that I love the looks on, I'd take a chance with a quick fix first.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn this 222 last is hurting my right pinky. It's a sleek shoe (san marco) but damn after 8 hours of wearing it, it's starting to hurt. Will wear again next week but it's def tighter in the toe box than the 65 last

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a pair of Eagle River seconds for $157. No real need for these but I can't seem to pass up a good deal. The only cosmetic imperfection I see is the possible overzealous use of the burnishing wheel on the lowers. They're amazingly soft which probably translates to amazingly comfortable.

No flash

With flash

The color is richer than what my phone captured. For $157, they're keepers!

Last edited:

LordRasta

Reaction score
I just received a pair of Eagle River seconds for $157. No real need for these but I can't seem to pass up a good deal. The only cosmetic imperfection I see is the possible overzealous use of the burnishing wheel on the lowers. They're amazingly soft which probably translates to amazingly comfortable.

No flash

With flash

The color is richer than what my phone captured. For $157, they're keepers!

I have them also and they are very comfortable.

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score

I've got a couple of shoes on the 65 last that just aren't quite fitting right. I've got a pair (Black Hills) that fits spot-on, but both the Strands I ordered a while back and my recently received Mctavish are just a touch bigger. Not much bigger, just a bit. Not enough to cause heel slippage or anything, but just enough to be annoying. I'm thinking adding a tongue pad might help with filling the volume of the shoe and avoiding bowing issues on the side.

I know some folks get their cobbler to do them, but it's not like this is rocket science here. It's a pad that gets stuck to a tongue. I've been using stickers for more than 40 years now, and I'm pretty confident I can stick something to the interior of my shoe. Of course, then I started overthinking things:

How hard is it to remove the adhesive if I need to take the pad out at a later point (like, say, the summer when feet tend to swell a bit more in the heat)?

Should I even do this? I mean, I can't return the Strands, as I've worn them plenty, so I'd start with putting a pair of pads in these. But, I could return the Mctavish, only it's a clearance item and I'm not seeing any in the color I want in any of the widths a half-size down. I figured that rather than returning and paying a $10 restocking fee on a shoe that I love the looks on, I'd take a chance with a quick fix first.

Assuming you have an AE close by, you can always swing by the store and explain the situation, they should give you tongue pads for free (they have any time I've asked for them). The same can be said for Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack - I've asked and received free tongue pads there with no questions.

I removed about 95% of the adhesive on a pair of loafers with less than 5 minutes of effort. It shouldn't be too difficult to get 99-100% of the adhesive off. Although, you may not even need to remove the pad as it compresses over time.

If you're wary about trying this with the McTavish, you could always try an insole to take up extra space. I've had success with these. If they don't work, there's no harm since there's no adhesive.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1/2 size larger, same width
9E
For me , 11.5 D Strands, 12D Daltons

For me same size as the 65-last. But most people on this board tend to say 0.5 size up, so maybe i'm the exception.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn this 222 last is hurting my right pinky. It's a sleek shoe (san marco) but damn after 8 hours of wearing it, it's starting to hurt. Will wear again next week but it's def tighter in the toe box than the 65 last

I had been considering the San Marco for a while after finally seeing it in person at NR in some huge size - but didn't realize it was on the 222. F-that. That last is brutal. Did you ever try the Presidio? That one takes the award....

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find this a little puzzling - so the Black Hills fit, but the McTavish was too big? I would try on another one to see how it is - those fit almost exactly the same to me. The Strand was big too? The Strand is absolutely smaller than either of those, so there is something wrong. You could try the pads, etc. but I don't care how good of a deal you think it is - if the shoes don't fit, it's no deal. Better off paying even full price for something that works. The retail AE has the black and grey McTavish on sale and I think shoebank has just about everything except the crackle brown on sale, so this shouldn't be an issue.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Received my Gobis from the ShoeBank...

qeykK6Ih.jpg

They are really comfy!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Fastball from the Shoebank over the summer for my dad. He said he wore a 10, so I got a 10D. When I (and the shoes) got there, it was apparent his foot was much wider. But I wear a 10D also in the 65 last, so I thought I might keep them. Length was OK, but even though I like a snugger fit, I would have gone up in width to E on the 2592 last. There just wasn't much room there.

Up for a Nordstrom pricematch? Don't say I'm not looking out for you -

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@LEgoiste congrats..such a comfy chukka...can not wait to put the Long Branches, Bayfields, and a few others to sleep for the spring and start wearing these a lot more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix