• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please find a post where someone has mentioned that Allen Edmonds are the "best quality" in comparison to all of the other brands mentioned on these forums.

I'll wait.

Is there a competition going on? I've been posting on this thread for more than a year and haven't seen anyone mentioned "AE shoes are the best."

Is anyone here actually claiming that AEs are better than Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, much less Edward Green or John Lobb? I don't think so, and I don't think you can quote anyone saying that either.

Don't bother, y'all, unless you have a fondness for mythical Norwegian creatures.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any other opinions besides McAllister in Merlot?

Is there an AE rep on SF?

Where do you live? I'd get boots if I were you!

CMT1

Reaction score

Any other opinions besides McAllister in Merlot?

Is there an AE rep on SF?

How [about] an oxblood Strand? I have seen this shoe in person a few times, and if I did not already own multiple Strand variants it would be on my list:

allenedmonds_shoes_strand_oxblood_l.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Strand, and this color rocks. :slayer:

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How an oxblood Strand? I have seen this shoe in person a few times, and if I did not already own multiple Strand variants it would be on my list:

allenedmonds_shoes_strand_oxblood_l.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Strand, and this color rocks. :slayer:

I am considering that as well, but I do prefer the slightly longer or less stubby toe box that comes on something like the McAllister. Also, given some of the more modern cuts on several of my suits a traditional shoe shape is a bit of a juxtaposition - at least that is my initial gut feeling. Thoughts?

Sunstealer73

Reaction score

You suggested that AE shoes where in the upper end so it means there are shoe company's under them. 

Not sure if you're serious, but: Florsheim, Clark's, Johnston and Murphy, Rockport, etc. Almost anything you'd find at a mall or standard shoe stores...

CMT1

Reaction score

I am considering that as well, but I do prefer the slightly longer or less stubby toe box that comes on something like the McAllister. Also, given some of the more modern cuts on several of my suits a traditional shoe shape is a bit of a juxtaposition - at least that is my initial gut feeling. Thoughts?

I'd personally still try the Strand to see if I could live with the stubbier toe box, but ultimately it comes down to your preference. I do not see the Strand as being so traditional as to make it out of place against the more modern cut suits, but I'll also be the first to admit that I am out of touch in this regard.

The McAllister is a great shoe, and you cannot go wrong with that choice. You could also look at something like the Lexington, which resembles an open-laced Park Ave, but given your two pairs of Park Aves it could obviously be redundant.

Perhaps a Flatiron?

allenedmonds_shoes_flatiron_bourbon_l.jpg

I received a pair as a gift, and there's nothing stubby about the toe box. While it's open-laced, it's on the dressier end for a derby shoe.

I have the walnut, but would probably choose the bourbon for greater versatility.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd suggest something either in chili or burgundy/merlot/oxblood/cordovan

The Carlyle comes in both chili and oxblood, and it's quite a sexy shoe.

You could also go for the Cambridge in cordovan or the rutledge in burnished walnut (looks more like bourbon) if you want to increase the damage (to your wallet).

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very cool, my wife's feet are too small for any AE sizes.

Thanks Mike! I got her a 6D, maybe I should have went for 6E. She was complaining of pinching on her pinky after a few hours of walking on the boot. I'm guessing it will eventually break in but sucks that her first experience with AE was off. My bad in ordering wrong size.

Those EC's are AMAZING, even though they're womens. Is there a similar men's model? Nothing comes to mind but maybe I'm just not familiar enough with all of the AE styles....

Those Rush Street's are great too, wish I would've hopped on a similar pair when there were models for $127 on SB.

Speaking of Shoebank, Neumok's in olive and red have been marked down to $127 in available sizes for those who haven't seen yet. Used a left over holiday giftcard and was able to score a pair of Olive's for $99 shipped.

I lot of the folks have already chimed in. This is from the GMTO last September.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could also go for the Cambridge in cordovan or the rutledge in burnished walnut (looks more like bourbon) if you want to increase the damage (to your wallet).

Wow...those look great polished up. The stock photos do no justice. Just regular AE polish, or what?

tyort1

Reaction score
I know this is an appreciation thread but maybe you guys can help me.

I currently have a pair of AE Strands in size 8D from allaboutshoes (user on here). I was measured at an Allen Edmonds store before I bought them and they said I was an 8D. Unfortunately when I wear the shoes, about a couple hours of walking in them the area around the ball of my foot starts to hurt and it gradually gets worse throughout the day.

All my other shoes (non dress shoes) are size 8. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this outside of having custom shoes made?

It's just part of the break in process. Some times parts of the cork footbed do not form as quickly/easily as others. When this happens, it will result in exactly what you describe. For me, some AE's never did this (Amoks, Promontory Point boots), while others did it only a little bit (Strands, Universities), while others did it much more (Aberdeens, Cronmoks). In fact, the Aberdeens JUST NOW finally fully formed and stopped irritating the ball of my left foot. And I walk at least 3 times a week in them for 45 minutes, plus I've had them since June. Crazy. I think they are probably extreme because of the rubber mini-lug sole that completely covers the entire bottom of the shoe. Regardless, once they have broken in, they are just as comfortable as every other AE shoe I own.

capegirr

Reaction score
This may be the wrong thread, but I just purchased a solid navy blue suit from brooks brothers and I really want to pair it up with a pair of AE Park Avenue Oxfords. I know you are supposed to go brown with navy but i've heard black looks more professional in a business setting. I also have a dark charcoal suit that is in the rotation as well but I can only afford one pair of shoes for now. What exact model and color would you recommend pairing the suits with, the navy being the preference. Also if it's not asking too much what is a good belt to pair up the shoe with? Thanks a bunch!

yanagi

Reaction score
This may be the wrong thread, but I just purchased a solid navy blue suit from brooks brothers and I really want to pair it up with a pair of AE Park Avenue Oxfords. I know you are supposed to go brown with navy but i've heard black looks more professional in a business setting. I also have a dark charcoal suit that is in the rotation as well but I can only afford one pair of shoes for now. What exact model and color would you recommend pairing the suits with, the navy being the preference. Also if it's not asking too much what is a good belt to pair up the shoe with? Thanks a bunch!

Black Park Avenues are fine with navy and charcoal. Match the belt color to the shoe color.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that oxblood left and chili middle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224