1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

First Quality discounted to me because these were suppose to have Medium Transparent Edge Dressing instead of Black. I have tried these around the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown Cordovan Bayfield
    7EE 511 Last
    Tone on tone stitching
    Independence insole and lining
    Flat chili welt
    Medium transparent edge dressing
    Double rendenbach outsole
    All antique brass eyelets, no speed hooks

First Quality. I have tried these around the house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A remarkable offering from a known and trusted poster. Finding your size / sole-mate is the challenge. Good luck!

2. neelp3

neelp3 Senior member

These MIGHT be my sizes...

3. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Love those. Wish I had a pair!

1 person likes this.
  4. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

One of the great mysteries of AE and this thread. And, they never seem to "roll out" the limited SWs they do with fanfare. I think I heard about the Madison Parks by someone here who spotted them at Nordstrom. I think during a Reddit Q&A someone asked P. Grangard what's up with the lack of shortwings. He replied, "It's coming!" All we got was some sort of soft sole Rockport as part of the Road Warriors collection. [​IMG] There are a lot of other makers that do SWs is all I can tell you.

2 people like this.
  5. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Quote:Those looks great and the Jefferson is such a quality shoe. Could you tell what if anything was wrong with them?

6. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Question about the current ShoeBank sale: I received a postcard in the mail that mentioned a 20% discount. Was that just a notification of what's already reflected in the ShoeBank prices or was it some sort of coupon? I can't seem to find it don't want to waste time searching for it if it's superfluous. Thanks!

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I'm 99.9% sure it was just an announcement of the current sale.

8. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

It is not an extra 20%, just a notice that there are discounts on the website.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

It is just a notification of the discounts that are in the website - no code needed.

10. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Thanks guys! This saved me the hassle of turning my office inside out and probably a few dollars as well. No 'well, with an additional 20%, it's only $$$ ... :satisfied:

11. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

With my ever growing collection... I'm definitely needing more shoe trees. If anyone sees a sale pop up, please let me know.

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

What size are you? I have several (4 I think) pairs of Jos. A Bank XL trees that I've replaced. They are actually almost new. Thinking $30 delivered for 4 pairs. Will throw in an AE shoe brush for a total of $35.

Is that split-toe a boot? (middle of 2nd row) Is that an AE model??

13. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I'd like to know why as well. I really don't like longwings at all (except the Larchmont/Boca), the LGA is really meh, and I was unable to get a good fit in the McAllister. I was about to go to Rancourt & Co. for a shortwing until Mr. Grangaard let slip that there there was an austerity brogue on the way. So I'm impatiently waiting for that, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

14. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Seconds came in today. Both pairs appear to be a score. The Park Aves are my first pair in the 65 last. They seem a little lumpy under the balls of my foot. Could that be the reason they are seconds? I have about 1/4 of an inch of play When I push my foot forward. I'm worried if I size down they will be too tight. Any advice?

[​IMG]

Oxblood Daltons, tongue is slightly mid aligned but you can barely tell unless it's untied. Total score IMO. The left wingtip might be ever so slightly misaligned, nothing crazy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

A little AE Conditioner or Lexol on the gusset should alleviate or eliminate that skewed tongue. Apply and work in, lace them up nice and tight with the tongue where you want it and wear them for a little bit.

1 person likes this.
  16. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Thanks, so glad I took a risk on those. Totally out of my comfort zone fashion wise but totally worth it.

17. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Looks to me like I need to size down.

[​IMG]

18. garland

garland Senior member

This seems like a good as day as any to come back to this thread. I've read back through the last 12-15 pages and seen a couple mentions of a lump on the footbed. This happens during the corking process of construction. Its excess cork that is pressed into the cavity between the insole and the outsole, and it happens on a rare, but semi frequent rate. That crown will press down within the first 6-10 wears, and will mold to your foot. I can say with almost complete confidence, that if it doesn't, AE should replace them for you.

Looks like you got a steal! It's always hard to speak to fit based on pictures alone, but they look decent. Don't size down I don't think. Keep in mind the shoes will get slightly more snug every time they get recrafted. You can manage shoes that are a hair to big. A hair too small, thats harder to deal with.

Edit: following your last picture, you very well might benefit from going down either in width or length one size.

2 people like this.
  19. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Thanks. That gap slims down when I tighten the laces. It's just the comfort level. Will call the store and get their feedback.

20. garland

garland Senior member

I edited my post to reflect your last picture posted. Keep in mind a gap in the laces is a good thing. Between 1/4 to 1/2 is generally acceptable, especially on the 5 last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.