1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I think they will grow on you, especially when the compliments start rolling in.

1 person likes this.
  2. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Thanks. I have no gap and a lot less play when I tighten the laces. Local store has a 10D on order for me so I'll test those before I wear these and just swap if it works out better.

I'm surprised these run long as a 10.5 is perfect for me in the Carlyle.

3. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Agreed, thanks to everyone for all the feedback!!!

4. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Good to have you back @garland

5. garland

garland Senior member

Its good to be back! :) been way too long. Missed all y'alls. ( moved to Tennessee so I'm doing my best to embrace my southern drawl)

1 person likes this.
  6. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I'd be interested in this if middlep doesn't take you up on it. (I'm generally a 13B, which I think takes the XL shoe trees.)

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the offer, @M635Guy. Unfortunately I'm a 9D, so XLs won't work for me.

Yup, that split toe boot is a now discontinued Portland on the 333 last.

8. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Never a regret to get more shell. :nodding:

9. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

When I search the Shoebank by last, the Madison Park Shows up when I select "2 last (222)"

Interestingly, the Players 2.0 black grain shows up when I select "8 last (108)"

10. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Not to question your Southern drawl, but I've never said or heard "y'alls" before. Tennessee drawl may be distinct from Mississippi drawl. Course, if yer up der in dem der Tennessee mountains, der ain't no tellin whatcha mighten be uh-hearin.

edit: just to clarify, I mean "y'alls" with the "s" on it. I say "y'all" every time I intend "you" in the plural.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  11. manowar

manowar Senior member

I hear it often out near the Smoky Mountains. The context is usually "all y'alls". Then of course there is the possessive "y'all's". It's all pretty peculiar but it grows on you!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

I've heard a Pittsburghese variant: "yin's" in the past... ? I grew up in Missouri with family in SE Missouri and SW TN (shelby county) and never heard a y'alls... though after nearly a decade in Texas it feels awkward and damn near improper to say "you all" in a colloquial setting...

13. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

4 people like this.
  14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

To say "all y'all" is technically redundant but I hear it here and there. "Y'all's" is second person plural possessive and I can't believe @redmusic1 hasn't heard it and doesn't routinely use it. Eg, "hey Greg and Duane, how's y'all's new album coming along?"

Also, a tip to any Hollywood screen writers ... folks down South don't use "y'all" when speaking in second person singular. That is only heard on TV. If someone were to walk up to me and say, "how are y'all doing?" I would immediately turn around and see who must have snuck up behind me.

1 person likes this.
  15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

There are places where it is used like that, though I think the origins of it are using it as an intended singular case with an oblique reference to his/her "people" (family/coworkers/business/whatever). There's a LOT of nuance to the use and intent of y'all. Hollywood generally screws it up.

16. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

From my post yesterday ....

This is more of an FYI than anything ...

I inquired on some AE seconds from the Destin Company Store. The responding email says that shoe trees are on sale for $16.95 each pair.

I'm not sure if the sale is a national sale, but it's enough off straight retail that I ordered a couple pair.

The toll-free phone number to the Destin store is 850-654-4790.

1 person likes this.
  17. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Those are real nice. Making me think about grabbing some snuff suede strands on clearance.

18. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Shell strands today:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks! I looked at these, the snuff strands, and the chocolate fifth avenues. I knew they would be worn somewhat casually, so I went with the Fullertons. I think the lighter laces also helped the look I was after.

20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I try to buy mine from JAB, when they are buy 1 get 2 free - which equates to about $8-9 per pair. I did pull the trigger on a set at about $10-11 each, but that's about as high as I want to go. Guess you can say I'm pretty cheap when it comes to my trees.... more money for shoes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.