1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@rayfinkle Thanks a lot for those posts, way to get me all worked up. [​IMG] They offered to sell you 2nds for the 1st sale price? What kind of garbage is that? They should have at least offered the 20% off. I'm very lenient when it comes to 2nds, so I've seen ones with a hole like you showed before, but totally not acceptable for firsts. I have 3 retail stores near me and I learned to never even bring up 2nds in conversation, its like I'm immediately treated like a pauper - " this is a first quality store, we don't sell 2nd quality, etc." Reminds me why 1) I get most 1sts from shoebank, and 2) I have yet to buy something online.

You should have seen this black Franciscan they got for me - the ankle area on both shoes was completely crushed like someone experienced crazy bowing..but before the shoe had ever been worn! Yup, 1st quality at its finest. Good luck, and good night.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  2. rayfinkle

rayfinkle Active Member

I've been pretty disappointed with my experiences at the AE locations near me. I have experienced either disinterest or disdain. I feel like I need to come straight from work (so I'm wearing a suit) and ask what their most expensive product is right off the bat to get a somewhat decent experience.

This is all in contrast to the awesome experience I've had with sales associates while frequenting the shoebank. I wish online-ordered AE firsts were more reliable.

3. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

Thanks pbrandes.

Now I will wear my Cognac McTavishes with confidence while waiting for that spot to blend right in.

4. Royteane

Royteane Well-Known Member

I'm 9.5E in Whites boots, what should be my 65last size?

5. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Really? I have quite the good experience with Atlanta stores. What stores do you go to?

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@velvel87 Was going to mention 6pm but my good friend beat me to the punch.

So option b - go to shoebank and filter on closeouts. Anything shown should drop in price on the 25th or 26th, firsts and seconds. Nice of AE to always give us a heads up [​IMG]

7. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

OFF TOPIC PSA:

BillsKhakis.com still liquidating, what is left is now @ 24cents on the retail dollar. 70% site wide discount + coupon BKTHANKYOU20 = net 76% discount.

If you check out the site, there are several pants that are not searching easily so should have already sold out but are still available.

These selvedge Cramerton cloth pants at about $50 only show up if you search for them.

Same with these wool gabardine pants at about $50

And these (so soft!) Weathered Canvas and summer Poplin items here. These are all about $32 after full discount.

-I know this is not the right place to post this but, this is where I first learned of the liquidation @ 50% off so sharing these lowered prices...

1 person likes this.
  8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Can you tell us why the Ashton's did not work for you? Size, fit, style, comfort? Knowing what was not working could help with making suggestions.

9. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks. How is the waist measurement on their pants, particularly, the dress pants? Do they use actual measurements or vanity sizing?

10. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

I think the shoe was built too wide and my knees ended up compensating for the extra space. I wear an orthodic, just an arch support and put in an oder eater insole to make up for the extra space from removing the AE insole. I bought the shoe because I loved the comfort of that specific rubber sole. I had it on a pair of Kennetts, which were my most comfortable shoes. However, these shoes are built much wider than the Kennetts. I was told they are the widest and deepest shoe AE makes - which makes sense.

One option would be to try a narrower size, but I think that might be too tight and I'd like to consider something else that was built on a narrower last. A concern I have about this shoe is that the sole is much wider than the upper, which might be causing me the knee pain.

Maybe something from the 1 or 7 last? Any thoughts?

11. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I wear M2 in my usual (36x36) size, but M3 fits better 1 size higher (37x36 Bullards today). No vanity sizing imo.

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

13. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the orthodic because it's just a small arch support. Not a full orthodic. With that said, any recommendations for comfortable dress shoes for all day wear with a rubber bottom?

14. tdes81

tdes81 Senior member

Brown Shell Bayfields from last years GMTO today:

[​IMG]

Looking great I think for boots that are 1+ year old!

1 person likes this.
  15. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

If I were to size down in the Neumok, my foot would not fit into the shoe. That shoe doesn't even fit me well in my regular size.

16. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Thanks! I guess I should go try them on before I think about ordering from the shoebank. Is $219 the lowest these will go?

17. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

I would not count on getting a correct fit this way. Go and get fitted at an Allen Edmonds store. If that's not possible, then try a Nordstrom that carries a wide variety of sizes, but that might not even work, as the Nordstrom salesman who sold me my Strands swore up and down that the shoes he brought out for me were the correct size. They ended up being a half size too big.

18. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

Walnut Kenilworth today.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Since you were fine with looks of Ashton, I would suggest the Wilbert that's on 511 last. I am wearing them right now and they are very comfortable, at least to me.

20. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks. Ordered couple of the wool pants in M3. They better fit similar to BB Fitzgerald or I have to find a way of offloading them, as all sales are final.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.