• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting - I actually saw these in a Nordstrom Rack store and assumed they were Neumok. But looks to me to likely be the McGregor, using the Neumok leather:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4552_1_40000000001_-1_4557

Also noticed the "Riverside", which looks like a Clifton without brogueing:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/...edmonds-riverside-cap-toe-blucher?color=BLACK

I'll bet these are made specifically for the Rack; interesting idea if this is what Nordstrom is doing.

They're made for the Rack. The bulk of AE shoes at the Rack these days are specifically made for them. They're not true seconds, but are made with slightly lower quality leather (not corrected grain or anything, but a little older cows etc.) and with a touch more room for error. Styles like the 6th Ave, Boardwalk, Riverside, Middleton, and a few others I've forgotten are made specifically for the Rack. They mark them with the seconds stamp but the shoes are not necessarily true seconds in the sense that they have cosmetic flaws but rather it's more of a quality indicator for the leather (and a slightly higher tolerance for flaws).

Of course, you can still find a lot of true seconds at the Rack, but you can generally tell which shoes are made for the Rack by looking at the insole - if it has the new 1922 shield and is a style not listed on AE's site, it's probably a Rack special. Also, they tend to have at least 2 pairs per size in each shoe at each Rack, which is a dead giveaway that they're specially made for them. They also tend to look extremely "new", whereas most seconds are fairly old-looking.

AEBoston

Reaction score
CORDOVAN PSA BOSTON MARKET

My name is James Pietryka and I am the Manager of the Allen Edmonds store on State Street in Downtown Boston. On Tuesday November 18th from 4:00 - 7:00pm, we will be hosting the Cordovan "trunk show" for the Boston Market.

Ryan from our Chicago store posted some details for their event but here is the info again in case you missed it! For our event, we will have a limited amount of rare shell cordovan colors: Navy, Green, Deep Dark Brown and Natural Brown. These special colors will be limited to 25 pairs per color on the following styles: Park Avenue, Leeds, MacNeil, Dundee, Strand and Patriot. The $125 custom charge will be waived for this event. In addition, you will also be allowed to customize the outsole, insole, lining, eye stays and various other specs for no additional charge. Any shoe not listed in the offer can be had with the additional $125 custom charge.

We will also offer to everybody the chance to order any of our current dress welts in either Burgundy or Black Shell Cordovan for the standard Cordovan prices ($650 shoe/$725 boot) with the custom fee waived.

Please feel free to get in touch with me with any questions as I am now accepting preorders for this event. We expect to have some leather samples in store soon as well.

I hope to see you all at the event. If you can't make it, just email or call and we can put your order in.

Best Regards,

James
[email protected]
617-557-3131

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Edited as not to confuse.*

I hear that Green hasn't gotten any love at all.

Last edited:

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks for the info James, One question. When you say you can do any dress welt in Burgundy and Black with the fee waived, what about the standard Brown cordovan?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...so its not 25 pairs per color =100 pairs, but rather 25 per color per style =600? Thats a lot of cordovan per store. I'm sure there's no way that one store could fill up 600 orders. I was thinking 100 was a stretch. Although I hear that Green hasn't gotten any love at all.

It sounds like 25 per color per store, not per style.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CORDOVAN PSA BOSTON MARKET

My name is James Pietryka and I am the Manager of the Allen Edmonds store on State Street in Downtown Boston. On Tuesday November 18th from 4:00 - 7:00pm, we will be hosting the Cordovan "trunk show" for the Boston Market.

Ryan from our Chicago store posted some details for their event but here is the info again in case you missed it! For our event, we will have a limited amount of rare shell cordovan colors: Navy, Green, Deep Dark Brown and Natural Brown. These special colors will be limited to 25 pairs per color on the following styles: Park Avenue, Leeds, MacNeil, Dundee, Strand and Patriot. The $125 custom charge will be waived for this event. In addition, you will also be allowed to customize the outsole, insole, lining, eye stays and various other specs for no additional charge. Any shoe not listed in the offer can be had with the additional $125 custom charge.

We will also offer to everybody the chance to order any of our current dress welts in either Burgundy or Black Shell Cordovan for the standard Cordovan prices ($650 shoe/$725 boot) with the custom fee waived.

Please feel free to get in touch with me with any questions as I am now accepting preorders for this event. We expect to have some leather samples in store soon as well.

I hope to see you all at the event. If you can't make it, just email or call and we can put your order in.

Best Regards,

James
[email protected]
617-557-3131

Thanks James! The info about ordering current styles in #8 and black is new! What about the standard AE brown? And how does the dark brown compare with the standard color?

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Actually I re-read it again and yea it makes sense at 25 per color. (which I always understood it to be) I suppose it could possibly be taken the other way but its also early and I read through it quickly :) I edited my initial post.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still very curious to see what color the dark dark brown is. Also, if the green is anything like Carmina's, it'll be a cool color, but hard to pair. Would be cool in a Mora 2.0 or Norwich (which I think needs to have a flat welt).

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received this pic from my SA.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I can only assume its the Green, Dark Brown, and Natural. I wasn't really planning on a Brown so didn't pay much attention to it. If we can do normal brown in all dress welts with no fee I might see how it compares the browns and possibly do one. Almost kinda wish I hadn't done the Townley now...blasphemy I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads