1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@typericey You were "courteously measured" by Kirsti? I almost spit out my drink with laughter! I met her when she was brand new - I talked to her a few times - she has a nice personality compared to the usual asst managers I would affectionately describe as "pushy bitch" but wow she just seems so clueless! What's up with them dropping the E widths? Anyway, if you can, go back and have Scott measure you or get James p in Boston.

I can try to help if you give me more info - do you have any other AEs? When you say tight, how so? Toe, horizontally? When you walked in them, you had crazy heel slip or just a little? How was the length ?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

3. parkman24

parkman24 Senior member

@typericey I also agree with @Neo1. You should definitely go back to the AE store for a refit. Unfortunately I also had somewhat of an abnormal experience at the Natick store. Scott measured my foot to be a 10D, but all of my shoes felt rather loose and creased in some off areas. I brought the shoes over to the Boston store, where they measured my foot again. Here they determined that I was a 9E. All of my shoes are 9E or 9.5D at most, so I believe I got a better fit here.

While Scott was helping us, a flood of people suddenly entered the store during the RDA sale so I understand he might have been a bit distracted.

Margaret was the sales associate that helped me in Boston. She provided exceptional customer service, even exchanging the shoes that I got from Natick with the wrong fit. If anything, definitely go to the store in Boston on Newbury. They are great!

4. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Brown shell strands with fun socks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

on a side note, I love the wax laces, but wish they were slightly shorter

3 people like this.
  5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Good insight Neo. Thanks.

6. rayfinkle

rayfinkle Active Member

@Neo1 Awesome info, thanks. I think I will pull the trigger. I know I'll be kicking myself later if I don't.

I have the Overlords on the 201 and they are pretty snug, so hopefully these will be a nice fit for my higher than average instep.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@rayfinkle If the open laced 201 styles work for you, notice that the rogue shows up under shoebanks closeouts now. We'll see what happens in a couple days - maybe there's two pairs on your horizon...wish I could get the rogue to fit, but can't complain - the overlord is the best fitting shoe I've ever owned.

8. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

Those overlords look nice. How is the sizing compared to the 65 last?

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

10. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Ok. Got my arm twisted into purchasing the brown McGregors. The box says brown, but these are clearly not brown. What do you guys think?

Next to my walnut strands.
    [​IMG]

11. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Great picture. What are those pants?

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Looks walnut. But there is a difference between brown and dark brown burnished, so I dunno.

1 person likes this.
  13. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Hey, I'm just unlucky for the most part.

I will say, they did delete review on The City shoes. There was one bad and I posted as second that was mixed -- pretty shoe but didn't fit like my other 201 lasted shoe, etc. Both have been deleted, even though they were fair reviews. Kinda chickenshit if you ask me, but AE has to maintain the image of quality even with their growing pains.

On another note, I'll be checking closeouts on Exmas. Maybe I can get lucky. The 333s aren't as perfect as 201s for me, but if you have arch or instep issues with the 65 last, they are a lot more comfortable. Maybe I can get a bourbon pair of flatirons at a good price. Seems like that color is going away, which bums me out as I like it better than Walnut.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Shoveling duty boots. The Eagle County doesn't get much love outside of the MTO thread but this original pair I picked up a few years ago for $127 have been amazing to me so far.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Levi1

Levi1 Active Member

Duplicate post

16. Levi1

Levi1 Active Member

Good look, great shoes

[​IMG]

17. pbrandes

pbrandes Senior member

Are you sure you're looking at the page for the black version of The City? Because that is a separate page from the brown version, presumably because the brown version is not discounted (I'm not even sure it was in production during the Black Friday sale). Having different pages for versions of the same product with different prices is standard for the AE site. The black version page has plenty of negative reviews dating back to Nov. 19--certainly bad enough to dissuade me from a purchase even at $192, and even though I like the style a lot :) It seems unlikely that bad reviews are being systematically deleted for this product, given the ones that are still up.

18. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    @rayfinkle , allow me to comment on the "derby with a suit" aspect of your question. Please keep in mind that you are asking the question to a relatively hardcore group of shoe people, one or two of which have some decided opinions. (But all are good people and mean well.) With that said, you can certainly find people on both sides of the issue. Some will insist an oxford or closed lace is the only appropriate shoe with a suit. Sadly, that leaves me out as my feet have yet to meet the balmoral shoe they like. In my experience, the VAST majority of people off the form have little, if any, concept concerning footwear. They feel anything that is not a cross trainer tennis shoe is therefore a "dress shoe" and is perfectly fine with any outfit. These are also the same people who wear a beat-to-hell pair of glue constructed Nunn Bush square toed shoes with a sole that is coming loose and slaps with every step.

For many (not all) occasions a Derby can be worn with a suit and real-world people will never even give the combination a thought. "Real-world people" WILL notice other things. I always recommend several items for one's check list, no matter the style of lacing. First, is the shoe/suit color combination correct? Second, are your shoes well maintained? Keep them well polished and use edge dressing.

[​IMG]

Third, avoid shoes that have a distinctive style to identify them with a specific time period that will instantly show them to be out of fashion. Not every shoe is "timeless."

[​IMG]

Finally, make sure the shoes are in good repair physically. Remember, someone was wearing these shoes to work before they were taken back to the cobbler for another repair.

[​IMG]

So, purchase classic styles, keep them well polished and don't skimp on repairs when they become needed. You will then be miles ahead of others in the shoe/wardrobe department. I have yet to hear someone say, "Can you believe that guy was wearing a Derby shoe to work? And with a suit!!"

1 person likes this.
  19. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Thanks! They are J.Crew Bowery herringbone pants in tobacco

20. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

PSA...
    Looks like all bourbon models went on clearance, along with the Lexingtons, Universities, Franciscans and Rogues. I'm sure there are others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.