• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Question for you guys: I was showing my wife the Strands as my next shoe purchase and her opinion was that it was a shoe that will go out of style.

Is the Strand a "now style" or do you think it will last the test of time. I don't want to buy a shoe that will be out of style in a few years.

Personally, I think she doesn't like shoes with any perforations in general so she may be biased.

The Strand is a part of Allen Edmonds "Timeless Classics" collection and I believe that is for a good reason. Walnut Calf as a preference may go out of style, but probably not anytime soon.

It may be a little bit of bias influencing that statement. :)

-Mike

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strand is considered a "medallion half-brogue Oxford," and is about as classic and timeless a style of shoe as one can buy.

however, the walnut (tan) color is quite flashy, and wearing such a shoe with dark color suits is a trend that we may be on the back end of.

But the Strand in brown burnished is definitely a classy, versatile suit shoe that will last you for years. Also, the shape of the shoe is classic and not too "fashion forward" like many italian foot-spears.

What will you be wearing this with?

Last edited:

DesertRat

Reaction score

The strand is considered a "medallion half-brogue Oxford," and is about as classic and timeless a style of shoe as one can buy.

however, the walnut (tan) color is quite flashy, and wearing such a shoe with dark color suits is a trend that we may be on the back end of.

But the Strand in brown burnished is definitely a classy, versatile suit shoe that will last you for years. Also, the shape of the shoe is classic and not too "fashion forward" like many italian foot-spears.

Thanks! I am actually looking at the Bourbon!

I will be wearing these with business casual. Khakis, grey and charcoal wool pants.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score

Question for you guys: I was showing my wife the Strands as my next shoe purchase and her opinion was that it was a shoe that will go out of style.

Is the Strand a "now style" or do you think it will last the test of time. I don't want to buy a shoe that will be out of style in a few years.

Personally, I think she doesn't like shoes with any perforations in general so she may be biased.

The Strand is a timeless classic design. IMO it will not go out of style.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For its intended use, there are few shoes more timeless than the Strand.

I wouldn't wear them with business casual, though.

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For its intended use, there are few shoes more timeless than the Strand.

I wouldn't wear them with business casual, though.

I wear my Strands (Walnut) with business casual (slacks, not khakis/etc.) all the time. I even wear them with dark jeans (and get many compliments). I think Bourbon might be even better suited for business casual or dark jeans wear than Walnut is.

lemmy127

Reaction score

Thanks! I am actually looking at the Bourbon!

I will be wearing these with business casual. Khakis, grey and charcoal wool pants.

Do it. My bourbon Strands are my favorite non-shell shoes I own. :slayer:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
leather of choice for rainy days?

Looking to add a pair to my collection that can withstand moderate rain. I'm also not considering commando or leather soles.

Thanks!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to add a pair to my collection that can withstand moderate rain. I'm also not considering commando or leather soles. 

Thanks!

Dublin, Outland leather, or CXL?

I'm not sure what kind of cowhide it is, but my dark brown grain long branches do pretty well in the rain.

Last edited:

djmiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am debating pulling the trigger on a pair of the Rutledge, but have concerns about the 333 last. I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and Brogue Suede Strands in 9D that both fit great, and a pair from ermenegildo zegna that also fit excellent in 9D.Now the problem......

I have a pair of Walnut Flatirons in 9D that while comfortable, I feel like they are getting excessive creasing - a deep one in the right shoe in the toe box, and it feels like there is a bit much length there. I know the 333 last is supposed to be a bit longer - but my questions is, is this just my foot, or should I perhaps be wearing an 8.5D or 8.5E on the 333 last. The best AE experience I had was getting fit a choosing my first pair of McAllisters in New York. Here in Canada availability is slim so there is nowhere I can try these sizes :(

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

gatszu

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am debating pulling the trigger on a pair of the Rutledge, but have concerns about the 333 last. I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and Brogue Suede Strands in 9D that both fit great, and a pair from ermenegildo zegna that also fit excellent in 9D.Now the problem......

I have a pair of Walnut Flatirons in 9D that while comfortable, I feel like they are getting excessive creasing - a deep one in the right shoe in the toe box, and it feels like there is a bit much length there. I know the 333 last is supposed to be a bit longer - but my questions is, is this just my foot, or should I perhaps be wearing an 8.5D or 8.5E on the 333 last. The best AE experience I had was getting fit a choosing my first pair of McAllisters in New York. Here in Canada availability is slim so there is nowhere I can try these sizes :(

Any help is appreciated.

I've talked to a couple of sales rep at AE and they tend to recommend going down 1/2 a size from your brannock size. So perhaps, you should try 8.5D. The 333 last is long but also wider than the 5 last. I don't think you should go 8.5E. Good luck!

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Hi Everyone,

I have a pair of Walnut Flatirons in 9D that while comfortable, I feel like they are getting excessive creasing - a deep one in the right shoe in the toe box, and it feels like there is a bit much length there. I know the 333 last is supposed to be a bit longer - but my questions is, is this just my foot, or should I perhaps be wearing an 8.5D or 8.5E on the 333 last. The best AE experience I had was getting fit a choosing my first pair of McAllisters in New York. Here in Canada availability is slim so there is nowhere I can try these sizes :(

Any help is appreciated.

My experience is that the 3 last is wider. I went with the same length but narrower width (b).

jrs311

Reaction score

Thanks!

I just picked up a pair of Gridirons during the sale that I love (v tread sole). I suppose the football grain isn't for everyone and may be a little casual for some offices, but IMO they are more versatile than you would imagine from the AE website photos. Leather seems really sturdy and I was in a little rain last week, it "beads off" more than my regular calf AEs.

Ridge

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Any help is appreciated.
I just picked up a pair a couple pairs, inc. Harrison, Rutledge & Park Aves. in 9E. The former 2 definitely feel a bit longer than the latter. I think you could safely go down a 1/2 size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads