1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Living 300+ miles from a brick and mortar AE store I had been looking forward for months to trying on several of the newer 201 last offerings this weekend. Instead, today I learned the Plano store doesn't have a single 201 in 10.5E. Nothing in any of the Indy line models and nothing in anything else.

Next I asked if the had anything in the 8 last. Anything. Dude brought out an Ashton (678) and a McGregor. I asked him wasn't the McGregor on the 5 last? He assured me it wasn't. I referred him to the website and explained you could no longer depend on the next to last digit to indicate last. "Wow. When did that change?"

Up until about a year ago I could always count on finding a lot of E widths in the store. I'm told AE has quite intentionally reduced the number of non-D widths in their stores. I don't how you can expect someone to pay $495 for the new Indy's by telling them, "well, we can make you up one to try on in about four weeks."

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Amen brother! Most of the brick and mortar stores are hard pressed to show me ANYTHING in an 11 EEE.

3. Count de Monet

Actually, the overall width will, in fact, increase when moving up a width. You ought to try the Strand in EE or EEE.

Also, and this is a little out there, but you might consider a Strand Golf with a sole change. Same shoe but on the wider 73 last.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  4. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

So, despite them fitting perfectly and having no discernible "seconds" flaw whatsoever, I returned these Brooks Brothers/AE tartan Duke loafers a few weeks ago as I just wasn't sure I wanted to have them for $170 (I had bought a pair of BB Kenwood loafers at the same time and decided to keep those, so figured I would send this pair back). But now they're down to $99, so maybe easier to justify.

I realize they are a very . . . unique looking loafer. I have the BB Shaker Heights boots with the same signature tartan pattern, and have their signature tartan belt. Are these just too "out there"? How would you wear them? I like them, I think I just need a few votes of confidence to pull them off (or, if deemed more appropriate, some sound advice to leave them alone and not buy them again).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Would definitely not wear. Even in Glasgow.

To each his own, though! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. BackInTheJox

Haha, appreciate the input!

7. Count de Monet

1. Office Christmas party.

2. Family Christmas party.

3. Trip to post office to mail Christmas packages and cards.

I'm stumped on the other 362 days of the year.

8. BackInTheJox

Ha! That's almost exactly what my wife said when I asked her.

Looks like I'll probably forget about these loafers.

9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

How about St. Patrick's Day?
    Let keep this going. I'm sure we can fill out your calendar.

10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

If you like the look of the Rogue, it may give you a better fit - as others have noted, a wider width would be, well, wider. This could certainly make it appear less sleek.
    How big is the gap? My strands won't quite close, but the look doesn't bother me personally ...

11. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I wouldn't worry about it. I also have a high instep and thought my accurate size was an 11E. I later switched to a 10.5EEE and it's perfect. My laces still don't close all the way but it really doesn't matter. As long as the gap isn't enormous no one will notice nor care.

12. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I also polished my walnut Jeffersons and my tan Ashbury Chelsea boots + cleaned my CXL Rush Streets and natural tan McTavishes. First time using Sahpir Renomat (sp?) and Renovator. I polished the Ashbury and Jefferson's with Allen Edmonds cream polish and did the toe area with natural/clear Sahpir was polish. I simply could not get a nice shine despite following the instructions on The Hanger Project. Put on a a final layer of Kiwi and they look great. The Renomat absolutely brought new life to my McTavishes which have really been through the ringer! I highly recommend the Saphir cleaning and conditioning products but am thinking their "colored" wax may work better than natural/clear.

13. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Don't do what I did and simply think you need to increase width. Here's my experience: I originally sized between a D and E width on an 11.5. I tried an 11.5E and the shoe was too wide and caused back pain. I went down to an 11E and the front part of the shoe (where the ball of your foot is) is now too narrow. I then switched to an 10.5EEE and the fit is perfect. So, from an 11.5E to an 10.5EEE in the end. I also have a high instep if that matters. I don't think these look bad at all (but look up how to properly tie your shoes :) and the gap will likely close over time. How is the length? How is the width by the ball of your foot?

14. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Just chiming in as well. No stores within 200 miles of me. Visited one of the Chicago stores in Oct and didn't have a great fitting experience. I've learned far more from reading here. The wide fitting trading post thread here is an interesting read for us fat footed people. Surprising to me that AE (and others) don't have a process to look at the outline of a foot and know with some confidence what last/size combos will work best. Right now I'm doing a lot of trial and error.

1 person likes this.
  15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I had a similar experience at my local store. They had very few options outside of a D width in 8.5-9.5. When they did have something on the last, I was still forced to guess at the fit because it was bal vs blu or some other variation from the shoe I was interested in purchasing.

Ha! I've had the opposite experience. Almost everything was "on the 5 last." I had to pull up the AE Lasts page on my phone. (Of course this page isn't updated frequently, which is another story.)

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, I've been told that they are consciously reducing their physical inventory of nonstandard widths. One of the side effects of new ownership, most likely. Pretty soon they won't even bother to make lasts or patterns in narrow or wide except for Park Ave and Strand. It's a shame because ready availability of EEEs is what brings many folks (like me) to the brand.

I've often been told incorrect last info by retail staff.

17. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Bourbon Daltons today..

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. rayfinkle

rayfinkle Active Member

Can anyone tell me on which last the Clifton was made? Nordstrom has a pair in brown (http://bit.ly/1TjWpHo) for ~$180, but they don't include much detail in their description.

19. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

20. Robertson

Robertson Senior member

...and the only reason I tried the brand was because they have very narrow widths.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.