• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I'll make an exception for this one: I don't see it as a bastardized version of the Lobb/St. C. style, but as a chukka boot with a low top. It works for me, in a way none of the weird chelseas have.

Then again, I like that kinda '60s aesthetic the Jomocs play into.

But it does sometimes seem like somebody at AE is trying to justify their title as "shoe designer" by, you know, trying to invent something new, rather than trying to do really well executed versions of the classics. It seems like they're very willing to have a lot of turnover in terms of styles: there's always something new, and there's always something on closeout.

Oh my:

While I think the first one might be a cool flashy "event" shoe, if one were somebody like a Robin Thicke, but does one wear something like that to the office?

Of course, I can totally see this selling to men who who want to impress the girlfriends/wives that they coerced into the local AE retail store. This is the sort of shoe that a woman might love, for what that's worth. I can totally see a few ex-girlfriends of mine (not my wife, though) recommending this one to me...

I'm eager to see the rest of the new boots, etc. When can we?

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score
They are both on the 73 last which I'm not familiar with. Besides the 4 eyelets boots I'm not interested in any other styles, hope to save money that way :)

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems my Shell Grayson hopes have been dashed. Put the order in last week and the store was supposed to have it shipped to the store. Well usually what happens is I see it disappear from the website, then shows back up, but at my store. Well, they never showed back up online. Inquired and my SA said it shows he put the order in, but it didn't go through :( Sigh........

SkySaw

Reaction score

Oh my:

While I think the first one might be a cool flashy "event" shoe, if one were somebody like a Robin Thicke, but does one wear something like that to the office?

Make these in midnight blue, or even brown (maybe with a bit of broguing on the toe), and I would get a pair.

phsiao08

Reaction score
Wondering what people think of the 'McAdam' Boot against the Fifth Street - The McA is about $130 on the shoebank site in my (very hard to find 11.5B) size and I'd normally get the Fifth Street but it seems they don't have it. Worried that this is a bit too flashy for business or casual but hey, I have the Cronmoks and I love them.

Should I wait for as potential restock in Fifth Street's or just pull the trigger on the McAdams?

Last edited:

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pictures? You know the (unwritten) rule.

Maiden Voiyage!

How did you pull that off? eBay?

Like the others, I got mine from shoe bank.

Probably sized half a size too small as they are tight but I usually try to go smaller for loafers and stretch them out. Probably better off same size as AE 5 last. Very happy with the purchase though, awesome shoes. Cheers to everyone who bought on instinct without knowing whether or not they'd like them / fit :D. You shouldn't regret this purchase.

Last edited:

rostov

Reaction score
Quote:
Remove the cap and replace the black calf with patent leather and you've got yourself a tuxedo shoe.

The only shoe (boot, really) that gets my attention this fall is this one here:

It's pretty out of the box and I expect the pull-up leather on this one might patina nicely. The grain version is also growing on me, but I'm already sporting a pair of Dukes. Mostly, however, I'm turned off by the leather sole. My need for such a boot is largely at odds with a leather sole: I want something with at least a mini-lug to take a beating through the NE winters.

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score

It's pretty out of the box and I expect the pull-up leather on this one might patina nicely. The grain version is also growing on me, but I'm already sporting a pair of Dukes. Mostly, however, I'm turned off by the leather sole. My need for such a boot is largely at odds with a leather sole: I want something with at least a mini-lug to take a beating through the NE winters.

I'm with you on these boots as the only model I would consider out of the new styles so far. However, I'd probably spend my money on a pair of shell dundees instead.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my:

Of course, I can totally see this selling to men who who want to impress the girlfriends/wives that they coerced into the local AE retail store. This is the sort of shoe that a woman might love, for what that's worth. I can totally see a few ex-girlfriends of mine (not my wife, though) recommending this one to me...

I'm eager to see the rest of the new boots, etc. When can we?

Make these in midnight blue, or even brown (maybe with a bit of broguing on the toe), and I would get a pair.

Yes, make it navy calf and suede in the fifth avenue and I might buy it as seconds...
biggrin.gif

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy Neumok's with shorts today and brilliantly paired with a Navy T shirt....however it does have that little polo player logo so clearly it is a T-shirt to be reconed with! I know you all have missed my legs. Pardon the laces...no time to swap them out this morning.

Have to wear these and the Olive Neumok's with shorts or sell them....just never going to get enough wear out of them otherwise. Especially with Navy Suede shoes in house and I have my eyes on a pair of Navy Suede boots....and heaven forbid a Navy EC GMTO :)

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
Wondering what people think of the 'McAdam' Boot against the Fifth Street - The McA is about $130 on the shoebank site in my (very hard to find 11.5B) size and I'd normally get the Fifth Street but it seems they don't have it. Worried that this is a bit too flashy for business or casual but hey, I have the Cronmoks and I love them.

Should I wait for as potential restock in Fifth Street's or just pull the trigger on the McAdams?

I think they're a great looking boot, I just wish they had a color other than black. Can anyone remind me why these were cheaper than the Fifth Streets? Is there some fundamental difference in materials used?

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're a great looking boot, I just wish they had a color other than black. Can anyone remind me why these were cheaper than the Fifth Streets? Is there some fundamental difference in materials used?

The Macadam is unlined in the shaft. The lining stops at the instep (where the brogued strips meet the vamp/instep). They look really nice though (pic attached)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads