1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

3. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Thank you for posting; those are gorgeous shoes. I found a pair of Merlot Chesters in a thrift shop about two years ago; they cost $15. They're a little to wider for me (14EEE, as opposed to my usual 14E or 15) but at that price I figured they were worth it. The sole is pretty worn down at the moment, and I've been debating whether to keep them and get them resoled or put them up on eBay and out the proceeds towards a new pair of wingtips in a different size. But if the recrafters can get mine to pop like that, then recrafting may be the way to go. Am I wrong in thinking that they look a bit lighter and more oxbloodish than the typical Merlot color?

4. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

This is exactly what I needed to know. Unfortunately for my wallet, this sounds like a great way to enter the shell game.

Thanks again for helping "mold" my understanding!

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

McT's Tuesday?

If I didn't already own these, I'd be grabbing them from the shoebank at $157. Same size as my other 5-lasted shoes, though these do run slightly larger (perhaps noticeable by the tighter lace gap).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Is there a difference between the McTavish "Tan" and the "Khaki" listed on Shoebank (besides the $10 price difference)?

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

There is, though I am not 100% sure of of the differences. IIRC, the khaki is more of a grain texture and the welt is dark.

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@DNSamurai , maybe this will help. I believe this is the khaki. Sorry for the crappy screen grab.
    [​IMG]

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I prefer the lighter welt on these, especially since they are short wings. I could see the darker welt pairing better with long wings maybe(?).

10. BKBridge

BKBridge Well-Known Member

You're killing me with these pics, if I didn't have such bad luck with wingtip seconds I'd pull the trigger.

On a somewhat related note i ordered a macneil and mccalister pair of seconds that weren't up to par; long story short I returned them and promptly ordered some oxblood dalton firsts with a custom dainite sole. Anyone have any idea on how long it'll take me to receive them?

11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

One thing to be aware of when purchasing used shell shoes - if the previous owner had a very differently shaped foot or sized wrong, you might end up buying a shoe with weird creases in strange spots that end up pinching your feet or hurting you. And those creases will never go away.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Shaker is so great...I can not wait to start wearing mine.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up. I would be searching for that diamond in the rough, rather than pulling the trigger on the first pair I come across.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I am thinking of getting a mini lug tap sole installed on mine - I just do not wear them enough and they are terrific . I would love a boot in that leather

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I never thought it made sense to offer a shoe in Horween Essex with a leather sole. I mean, that upper leather just screams to be put to some serious abuse.

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I caught my shoe this morning on a wicker chair and thought for sure I had scratched them up really good. Couldn't even tell the leather had been touched.
    Mini lug and/or a boot would look great with that leather!

18. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Anyone heard anything about calf fitting tighter than grain?

Long story short(er), went to pick up the 1st Ave boot and they had limited sizes (of course). Tried on a walnut grain in my 5-last size and the walnut calf in 1/2 size down. The typical size had a lot of volume to it. I was worried that the 1/2 size down calf might be slightly short and tight at the widest part of my foot and the SA said "Well, the grain is a different, nicer leather so it fits looser than calf." Then went on to say that they can not stretch it as much during production so it fits a little bigger. This sounded like either a confusion with shell or an attempt to get me to make a purchase (on something that they didn't have in stock).

I walked in really wanting a pair of grain leather, but am thinking I might reserve that for something with a non-leather sole.

Needless to say, I ordered a walnut calf from the shoebank in my 5-last size. Figure I'll wear boot socks if they are slightly big. Now, fingers crossed I get a decent pair!

19. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Picked up some AE Cognac McTavish seconds at the outlet on the RDA sale - plan is to use them as beaters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. miketheraven

miketheraven Member

Don't really have anything to add, just thought you gents deserved to get a piece of my mind. Thanks to this forum I now own over 30 pairs of shoes (most of which are Allen Edmonds). I have run out of hiding places and room to store all these d@#n shoes and have even started rivaling the wife on closet/general bedroom space! You all should be ashamed of yourselves!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.