• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltashell

Reaction score
Is $399 the best price on shell seconds during the tent sale? And I assume they are more than $399 when the tent sale is not going on?

harlequin782

Reaction score

Don't compromise. There is always room for a proper black captoe oxford in every man's shoe wardrobe, even if you only wear a suit once a year.

On the other end of the spectrum, Franciscans and Lexingtons--especially in black--are far from ideal for wearing with jeans. I wouldn't do it. These two shoes in black just don't make sense to me anyway.

Again, the point is this: buy a pair of proper black dress shoes for wearing with suits, and a pair of casual shoes (preferably in brown or burgundy).

Hmmm..ok..this makes sense to me...however i am on a budget so I may not be able to purchase a shoe for each occasion or in each color...but your point is well taken...I would ask though: you seem to be somewhat of a sartorial purist, so what do you feel about these men I see walking around everyday in black loafer/slip ons with suits/dress pants as well as those wearing the same loafers/slip ons with jeans?...are these men just breaking every single style policy that exists?...are they destined to burn in hell in their slip on loafers? No one seems to call them on it, or notice the difference, or call them silly etc; even those men who are dressed appropriately. This was the reason I was contemplating getting a Franciscan. I figured I could slide into that niche of having a flashier contemporary black shoe that could be dressed up or dressed down..which would be a lot more bang for my buck, while still looking better than at least 89% of other men out there, it would seem.

I think your first choice was correct! Trust your gut.

ok...thanks for the reassurance...I am leaning toward keeping them, as you suggest.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hmmm..ok..this makes sense to me...however i am on a budget so I may not be able to purchase a shoe for each occasion or in each color...but your point is well taken...I would ask though: you seem to be somewhat of a sartorial purist, so what do you feel about these men I see walking around everyday in black loafer/slip ons with suits/dress pants as well as those wearing the same loafers/slip ons with jeans?...are these men just breaking every single style policy that exists?...no one seems to call them on it, or notice the difference, or call them silly etc; even those men who are dressed appropriately. This was the reason I was contemplating getting a Franciscan. I figured I could slide into that niche of having a flashier contemporary black shoe that could be dressed up or dressed down..which would be a lot more bang for my buck, while still looking better than at least 89% of other men out there, it would seem.

If you're on a budget, that's fine. No need to purchase "a shoe for each occasion or in each color." But I stand by what I originally said about owning a proper pair of black captoe oxfords. I'm a recent college grad, so I don't have tons of money to drop on clothes/shoes, either. Since you don't wear suits often, maybe make the casual shoes your priority at the moment, and save for a while for the black oxfords. They can be had for a pretty reasonable price with just a little patience. I got my black Park Aves. (seconds) brand-new for $150 earlier this year. Since I don't wear them often, there's no way I'd spend $365 on a pair of first quality shoes at full retail. But $150 is definitely reasonable to me.

As for the other part of your post... yes, I suppose you could say I'm a bit of a "sartorial purist" in some senses. Spend enough time on StyleForum, and you will be, too. :p That doesn't mean I don't break the rules sometimes, but I do believe in basic things like wearing proper shoes with a suit. Your observations are correct, though: most men in the general public (in the U.S., at least) dress very poorly, and are either ignorant of, or don't care about, basic sartorial tenets. Many "well dressed" men in the professional world wear cheap black suits, rubber soled shoes, ill-fitting shirts, and bright, shiny ties. They are dressed appropriately as far as most are concerned, but look silly to anyone who has developed a taste and appreciation for classic menswear. It's all about what standards of dress you want to hold yourself to.

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score

If you're on a budget, that's fine. No need to purchase "a shoe for each occasion or in each color." But I stand by what I originally said about owning a proper pair of black captoe oxfords. I'm a recent college grad, so I don't have tons of money to drop on clothes/shoes, either. Since you don't wear suits often, maybe make the casual shoes your priority at the moment, and save for a while for the black oxfords. They can be had for a pretty reasonable price with just a little patience. I got my black Park Aves. (seconds) brand-new for $150 earlier this year. Since I don't wear them often, there's no way I'd spend $365 on a pair of first quality shoes are full retail. But $150 is definitely reasonable to me.

As for the other part of your post... yes, I suppose you could say I'm a bit of a "sartorial purist" in some senses. Spend enough time on StyleForum, and you will be, too. :p That doesn't mean I don't break the rules sometimes, but I do believe in basic things like wearing proper shoes with a suit. Your observations are correct, though: most men in the general public (in the U.S., at least) dress very poorly, and are either ignorant of, or don't care about, basic sartorial tenets. Many "well dressed" men in the professional world wear cheap black suits, rubber soled shoes, ill-fitting shirts, and bright, shiny ties. They are dressed appropriately as for as most are concerned, but look silly to anyone who has developed a taste and appreciation for classic menswear. It's all about what standards of dress you want to hold yourself to.

I have been on SF for about a year and a half now...and im still pretty sartorially liberal so far. I suspect this is, again, due to my budget being an issue and not thinking its that critical to warrant such meticulousness. But maybe ill come around one day. Whats interesting is that I DID actually save for this pair of black dress shoes. These were the last shoes i added to my lineup before i take a break from purchasing dress shoes. But my issue was that one of the style rules that I will be breaking throughout the lifespan of my shoes will be rocking black dress shoes with jeans, along with using the word rocking to describe my style choices. I just like how it looks on me, but I needed to make sure that if it can be done with shoes like the Leeds, that it could be done with the alternative dress shoes that ive decided on.

Im also starting to come to the decision that no matter what you decide to wear, someone is always going to have a problem with it. If I were to get the park avenue as a "proper black dress shoe" for suits (that I rarely wear), something tells me the issue would then become the captoe being hideous for most sartorial purists..in addition to being completely unsuitable for anything other than suits

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got black park avenues and bourbon strands. Currently debating between merlot Mcallister and brown Rutledge. I am a lawyer and wear navy and charcoal suits everyday. The seconds are comparable in price for either.

And other recommended formal shoes besides these two?

For the money, the Rutledge is a much nicer shoe. Nicer leather, nicer detailing, nicer sole.

Having said that, I like merlot better with both charcoal and navy, and it's more different from the color of your other two shoes than the brown Rutledge

So....both???

Last edited:

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have never had any shell shoes, and now I have a chance to buy some Shell MacNeils. They are factory rejects, but look pretty good in the pictures. Thoughts? How much would you give? Would you buy them at all?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Shell seconds from the Shoe Bank are $400. I got mine for $250 in the sale last summer. Unless it's less than that, I wouldn't bother with used seconds.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been on SF for about a year and a half now...and im still pretty sartorially liberal so far. I suspect this is, again, due to my budget being an issue and not thinking its that critical to warrant such meticulousness. But maybe ill come around one day. Whats interesting is that I DID actually save for this pair of black dress shoes. These were the last shoes i added to my lineup before i take a break from purchasing dress shoes. But my issue was that one of the style rules that I will be breaking throughout the lifespan of my shoes will be rocking black dress shoes with jeans, along with using the word rocking to describe my style choices.

To be fair, you're comparing apples to oranges with regard to your audience.

If you asked "these men I see walking around everyday in black loafer/slip ons" about which shoe to buy I'm sure they'd tell you either looks great, and to "rock" whatever you like... but you didn't ask them -- you asked Styleforum.

I agree with Evolve regarding compromise. Were I in your shoes (pun not intended) and on a serious budget:
  • I'd strongly reconsider the idea of wearing black shoes with anything that isn't a worsted wool suit -- or maybe nice denim, but then only in the evening.
  • I'd then wait for the 2/$250 seconds sale to roll around (are they still doing that on occasion?) and grab black Park Avenues or Carlyles or Fifth Avenues, as well as something in burgundy or brown or walnut for more casual settings.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Someone stop me saying "in the summer"! Hehe...can't remember exactly but I think I got mine around September last year. I guess it wasn't a summer sale...whatever event happens in the US in September...or something!

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score

To be fair, you're comparing apples to oranges with regard to your audience.

If you asked "these men I see walking around everyday in black loafer/slip ons" about which shoe to buy I'm sure they'd tell you either looks great, and to "rock" whatever you like... but you didn't ask them -- you asked Styleforum.

I agree with Evolve regarding compromise. Were I in your shoes (pun not intended) and on a serious budget:
  • I'd strongly reconsider the idea of wearing black shoes with anything that isn't a worsted wool suit -- or maybe nice denim, but then only in the evening.
  • I'd then wait for the 2/$250 seconds sale to roll around (are they still doing that on occasion?) and grab black Park Avenues or Carlyles or Fifth Avenues, as well as something in burgundy or brown or walnut for more casual settings.

Thanks for your advice. I think this is really good advice ...and ive considered and reconsidered the Black Park Avenue. And upon the advice of many styleforumers here, I had even considered purchasing it as my overall 1st shoe choice in my collection. Yet, i decided that it is just not a style that is for me. I also rather liked the carlyle, yet it seemed like an even further step towards formality than the PA. To the extent that when i do get a black shoe solely dedicated to the purpose of wearing with suits, it will likely be the Carlyle and not the PA. Ive also considered and reconsidered the pluses and minuses of rocking black shoes with denim time and time again, and ive decided that I like how it looks on me personally. So that aspect will remain in my clothing arsenal, irrespective of however much ridicule and persecution I receive for it.

So I guess my question for styleforumers, and even regardless of audience , was moreso a question of either, or (franciscan or lexington), rather than whether anyone here would rock black shoes with jeans at all to begin with. Ive read the many opinions in this thread regarding that issue, and it seems to boil down to personal preference. And I prefer it. I was just wondering whether the few other people who might seek a dual purpose black shoe would think it more practical to rock the franciscan or the lexington as a more dual purpose shoe.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$225. I may just wait then. When is the summer sale?

Shell seconds run $499 regular price. Sales like the current $399 and sometimes $429 are common. The lowest I have seen is $299 but we may never see those prices again due to the recent increase in shell prices.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just wondering whether the few other people who might seek a dual purpose black shoe would think it more practical to rock the franciscan or the lexington as a more dual purpose shoe.
I agree that black shoes with nice denim can look good, and often wear black shell Leeds with my selvedge stuff when I go out in the evening after work. The "dual purpose" thing can be tricky to pull off though. Of your two choices I'd go Lexington; it's a simple, straightforward style rather than a strangely-designed brogued-out monkstrap.

harlequin782

Reaction score

I agree that black shoes with nice denim can look good, and often wear black shell Leeds with my selvedge stuff when I go out in the evening after work. The "dual purpose" thing can be tricky to pull off though. Of your two choices I'd go Lexington; it's a simple, straightforward style rather than a strangely-designed brogued-out monkstrap.

thanks a lot....your in depth analysis and the reasoning for why you adhere to your style guidelines as well as that of Evolve make a great deal of sense to me and have definitely helped me make more confident, informed decision regarding whether to keep or exchange the Lexington. Much appreciation.

Now, about these Hanover wholecuts that I plan to rock sockless with my cut off stonewashed denim jean-shorts...

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that even the lexington would look out of place with a pair of jeans and out of place with a suit.

The ptb leeds is probably the best compromise. It would look okay with a suit but much better with jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads