1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

they really look great...could not pull the trigger on them but starting to regret that.

2. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

A buddy of mine got the Rogues over the strands and he said it felt like a similar style but he was wary of the 65 last fitting. I don't think he tried many sizes on though. He loves em though. And they're pretty sharp in person being worn. Definitely a casual shoe.

[​IMG]

Disagree that the Rogue is a casual shoe. I have it on with navy pin suit today. I get constant compliments on these shoes!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Epic fail for me yesterday. Had on my olive rush street and was just getting into the car when I decided I just couldn't go to work with them. Switched to my black hills. Swung by the store to talk to my SM - even he busted my balls, wondering how I could ever get olive when I couldn't get grey cloud [​IMG]

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Agree completely. I have shell chukkas from AE, Rancourt, and Alden, and the Dundee is my favorite hands down. Beautiful color on those.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

[​IMG]

While browsing the shoebank today, I see the Harrison in my size. Did a quick google search and this image came up from a fellow SF member. This is what AE should be selling as their flagship shoe. Look at the difference in shape.

One is a miata and one is a ferrari. Let the debate begin. It's too bad the Canadian dollar sucks at the moment or I would get! Get em fellas! at least your dollar is good

6. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Well, you can't argue with success. I think AE knows what they are doing. While you may prefer the looks of the Harrison, the vast majority is still buying the Park Ave. The Park Ave is still the #1 seller by far for AE, outselling the Harrison (or anything else) by a huge margin.

1 person likes this.
  7. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

Maiden voyage for a pair of burgundy MacNeils I purchased back in the fall, but never got to wear because of winter weather. The snow has finally melted, so today is the day.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Sell the Harrison for $385 at retail like the Park Avenue and I bet the sales numbers start creeping towards each other. I agree though, AE does know what they are doing. If you want a sleek, european style, get prepared to pay european prices (at the time anyway).

9. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Its not a casual like a McTavish or Rush street but I would still pick a balmoral for use with a dark wool suit. It probably goes back to the theory that it really doesn't matter that much since 98% of men won't judge by someones shoes anyway or how formal they should be. So maybe we call it a formal casual shoe. I think they'd look great with a lighter cotton/linen suit in walnut. As an aside I'm rarely in suits but more chinos and dress pants which I think would be a perfect spot for the Rogue. My friend got the walnut and wore them with dark jeans and a sport shirt. I'd get the bob's chili and do the same if I were to get one. Maybe if they hit deep discount on the shoe bank.

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I love AEs and all, but let's not get so far ahead to claim that the Harrison is akin to a Ferrari.

by the way, the Indy line is much better than the standard line: better upper, soles and inner-linning.

11. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Walnut Wednesday, these are starting to show some real character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope everyone's week is going well, as always.

4 people like this.
  12. rostov

rostov Senior member

Yeah, it looks like the Harrison is a torture device for unsuspecting toes! It reminds me of the story a few years ago where women were reportedly having doctors remove their pinky toes to fit into high heels.

Then again, it's easy to love gunboats when that's the natural shape of your foot...

13. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Sir - those are absolutely fantastic. Well done.

14. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

THIS. I wore my Park Ave's all day at a wedding on Saturday and my feet were hurting by the end of the night... granted this was only the 2nd time I wore them, but just looking at that picture of the Harrison hurts my feet. It's a higher quality than the Park Ave, but definitely not the right last for my feet - nice price at $177 at the shoebank though if it does work for your feet

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Actually I have a pair on right now and in a 9D they are roomier than the Park Ave all around. The toe box is generous and the lacing gap is much smaller brand new than 5 last shoes ever are for me.

16. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thank you, NewYawker! These were my first shell shoes, they have easily seen the most wear of all my AEs and I am really enjoying watching their color evolve. They have seen a bit of VSC here and there, but it's mostly been damp wipes and relentless brushing.

17. itzafugasi

itzafugasi Active Member

Brown Strands today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. rostov

rostov Senior member

Good point about the seconds pricing. It's worth a shot for anyone in need of such a shoe. I own a pair of 5th Aves and while it's not my favorite shoe, it's my go to for funerals.

For any other event, I'm increasingly inclined not to care. It's a rare wedding I attend where some distant cousin of the bride doesn't show up in acid wash jeans. I just attended an event this afternoon where everyone was wearing their black, midnight-blue, and navy pin-stripe suits. Know what? I'm not a banker and it was a noon-time event, I wasn't getting into a stuffy suit. I left my bespoke suit in the closet... threw on chinos, a blazer, pocket square, and burgundy Macneils. No regrets. Pretty sure that's how I'm going to dress the next time I interview, too.

I've never seen a chisel toe that hasn't been incredibly painful, but I wear a 3E and have a tall forefoot. Granted, I haven't tried the 333 -- yet, but I'm not optimistic. The 809 and 234 lasts are a bit too short in the forefoot and the 97 is just weird. The only lasts I can fearlessly order are the 2, 5, and 511.

19. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I'd give it a shot sometime in person if you can. I know they have the 333 last in 3E. The 5 last I usually get in an E width, but D width for most other shoes. 2, 511, and 97 I get tightness in my toes in D widths so the 333 might indeed be a little roomier. I think it's a last that people have less experience with, but all the 333 shoes I've tried have been a really, really good fit.

20. J One

J One Senior member

I just saw at Jos AB the Boardrooms their version of the Park Ave. for $258 plus a 20%for a final of $218 first quality of course. This beats shoebank seconds by a lot specially for those looking for non shell great shoes for a rainy day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.