1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have seen the Whiskey color offered in this shoe but have never seen it in person..how is this finish accomplished? it does not look burnished, is it another finishing treatment? I think they look amazing...geez - I would kill to have that finish on a boot...I guess I could practice on an old walnut pair but the dark areas look to have been done before assembly... @garland any idea?

@CMT1 those are ridiculous...congrats

@Nestea92 those look really good...if I didn't have a few pairs of lugged soled shoes(and more on the way) would totally grab a pair

2. garland

garland Senior member

It looks like a "brush off" technique. Same thing that was used on the Morgan wingtips from last (2013) winter. I'm not exactly sure how its achieved, but i do believe it involves removing pigment with a burnishing wheel and the addition of some kind of chemical. Similar to what is done on the odenwald and strandmok. I'm not sure but I do think that its a corrected grain leather as well. I could be wrong on that part though.

3. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

[​IMG]

I have a pair of olive neumoks that I love for casual wear. Maybe they are too casual for some work/business settings, but I think they look great with a pair of chinos or dark blue jeans. Maybe mine are a bit more faded now where it doesn't scream green(?) but i usually wear these on "casual fridays"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

6. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks Kahuna75, those Morgans are sharp!

Mine as well. I have three pairs of Strand - brown and walnut shell, and bourbon calf.

[​IMG]

I was initially worried that the two shells would be similar enough to be redundant, and for some it probably would be, but in person the brown is a lot darker than even my seemingly dark walnut pair. I have seen photos of walnut shell that look a lot lighter than mine, but have also read of AE's trouble with consistency with the color so I just chalk mine up to being on the darker side of walnut.

What cracks me up is how similar the bourbon and walnut look in photos, especially in a well-lit room with bounced flash, but in reality they look completely different due to the (obvious) leather difference.

[​IMG]

I am very jealous of your walnut shell Daltons. I love the boot and finding a pair to match my Strands would be a real coup.

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

8. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Ha, hopefully I'll have something to combat that theory shortly :)

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Lol...no sorry required...they are def not most people's cup of tea...and yuck is probably one of the nicer comments people have said about that shoe.

10. garland

garland Senior member

My store manager has them in the wine color, and I think its a pretty cool shoe actually. I think it would be nearly impossible to achieve that kind of finish on a traditional polished calf. Obviously it's not for everyone, but its a cool shoe thats very unique.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Cross posting this from the MTO thread. Anyone have experience with 'customizing' shoes during recrafting?

I have a pair of Wendells that are ready for recrafting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd like to change their look to something along these lines:

[​IMG]
    @GOP Shoe Guy
    [​IMG]
    @polojock615
    [​IMG]
    @bl@ster

I have 3 potential make-ups in mind:

Natural edge and welt, dark brown welt stitch
    Natural edge, chili welt, natural welt stitch
    Natural edge and welt, red welt stitch

Any advice/suggestions? I noticed all three of the MTOs I referenced here have split reverse welts. I was thinking of keeping the flat welt based on the (relative) sleekness of the Wendell but am open to suggestion on that. Finally does anyone have pictures or links to the various welt and edge colors?

13. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

My shell Patriots do not have wheeled edges, not real sure about the calf, but the pictures of the calf Patriots on AE website don't seem to show wheeled edges.

14. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

Really love the suede Badlands. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Seems AE is unsure on which ones get it. The cordovan patriots the black and burgundy show no wheeling. The brown does. Maybe there was a move away from it. Maybe there are two people who do the finishing. One guy thought it was supposed to have it, the other didn't, and no one ever mentioned anything to them. So just depends if you get a shoe made my Ed, or Joe. http://www.styleforum.net/g/i/54005...6-equivalent-burgundy-horween-shell-cordovan/ http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/bf/bf0ec6bb_Patriot.jpeg Older pics. Even google images is pretty mixed. I've seen some in the retail store that had wheeling less than a year ago. So I dunno.

16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I'd like to change their look to something along these lines:
    [​IMG]

@GOP Shoe Guy
    [​IMG]

@polojock615
    [​IMG]
    @bl@ster

I have 3 potential make-ups in mind:

Natural edge and welt, dark brown welt stitch
    Natural edge, chili welt, natural welt stitch
    Natural edge and welt, red welt stitch

Any advice/suggestions? I noticed all three of the MTOs I referenced here have split reverse welts. I was thinking of keeping the flat welt based on the (relative) sleekness of the Wendell but am open to suggestion on that. Finally does anyone have pictures or links to the various welt and edge colors?

I would go Natural edge, Natural welt, brown welt stitch

17. moleman462

moleman462 Member

I have brown and burgundy shell patriots from the shoebank and both have wheeling.

I think my waxy brown long branch also has it for some reason.

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

19. halfnhalfnhalf

That Polojock specimen has always been a favorite of mine. I'm waiting for a burgundy shell Bradley to show up in my size at the Shoebank so I can give it the same treatment (split-reverse welt and natural all the way), either through AE or B. Nelson.

20. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

PSA: Brooks Brothers are having their 30% off corporate event today which includes AE. Firsts for $300 or so. Note that you have to click through almost to the end where you pay to see the discount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.