1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

What do you call the password for an orgy full of people wearing masks?

1 person likes this.
  2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

fidelio

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

A little Mac Method tonight to get the Leeds and Bayfields put away until the next wearing.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

You are so making me want to call the Shoebank for a pair of Dundees.

5. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

Everyone should go on a spending hiatus from the Shoe Bank for 4-6 months. That should create a decent surplus and hopefully allow a shell sale to be needed.

6. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Would someone please explain the "Mac" method to me? I don't know what that is.

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

8. rostov

rostov Senior member

You might want to wait for the Player 2.0, but it could be months or even a year before it's released. I don't know the timing...

AE has no direct replacement for the Player at this time, as it's a short-wing blutcher. AE has no other SWB shoe, but they do have a boot via the Dalton / Long Branch. Anything else will sacrifice the short-wing design for a long-wing, or the blutcher for being a bal... and I presume if you think the McGregor is too formal and stuffy, that you'll probably thing the same of bals. However, some of the short-wing balmorials AE carries are quite casual despite being close-laced... the Neumok and McTavish, in particular. The McAllister being the more formal version of that pattern.

The McGregor is a long-wing, and while I think it's sufficiently casual, especially in suede, to each their own. You might have overlooked the Larchmont, another long-wing blutcher, which is on the 333 last and has a chisel toe.

9. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Yeah...you're right. The only other shoe I could see working was the walnut Jefferson. I'll try on the Mcgregor tomorrow

10. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

11. frankmartin

frankmartin Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it would be part of the orthortic collection. The tallish toe, black rubber sole, and blue insole make me think that. Looks kinda like a short wing winter park.

12. rostov

rostov Senior member

I forgot about the comfort-line SWB. I doubt that's the Player 2.0... but I suppose it's technically an option.

@catlettsl unless you plan to pickup something on clearance or an on-sale second, you might at least wait until February 17th or so, to see what the new styles are going to be. (It seems the new styles will come out "soon" after the current sale ending on the 16th)

13. BoxSRS60

BoxSRS60 Well-Known Member

I'm curious, can someone give me the pros and cons of shell cordovan? What is the big draw? I do see that they look different, and I like the look. In the shoe care thread, there seems to be dissenting opinions about shell and it's durability (I think more about aesthetic than toughness, ie water spots, polish/shinability).

I'm just curious why the rush/desire to pay more. I think I have some idea, but I may be missing a lot of info as well.

14. BoxSRS60

BoxSRS60 Well-Known Member

Shoot, I can't remember the manager's name despite just being there today, but the manager at City Centre who is the only person that I've ever seen there is great. She's super helpful, patient and sweet. If you're in Houston, I'd definitely recommend bypassing any other local stores to go to that one. (I haven't been to the store in the Woodlands, they might be great there as well).

15. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore the black MTO (rubber sole) Rutledges today.......

[​IMG]

16. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Shell is a denser, warmer leather than calf. I believe its origins are for the us in work boots or for tougher wear. It's less permeable than calf so it's water resistant in that sense. However, it does tend to spot with water drops so it'll keep your feet dry, but probably look like crap if it gets wet. It's because the dirt and water just sit on top of the shoe rather than being absorbed by it.

The appeal of shell is the glow and ability to bring to a shine/glow with just brush and buff. Over time it maintains its glow better with simple brushing, while in the beginning I've experienced the need for brushing after each wear. Shell will supposedly last longer as well due to the thickness of the material. Shell also doesn't get micro creases and instead rolls which some may or may not prefer. Shell also smells wonderful :)

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Fine reply!

(And I'm glad it is not just me obsessed with the smell)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  18. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Haha I knew it! I'm not the only one who thinks shell smells terrific!

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That is why I have a shell wallet....easier to smell....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.