• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Can any Mora 2.0 owners please give advice on sizing -- if I'm a 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, would I be the same on the 8 last?

Thanks!

costlysignal

Reaction score
I've figured out that my 'right pinky toe is smarting in certain shoes' problem is because of a previously broken right small toe that healed less than perfect; in this case, do you stretch all shoes with the issue to accommodate the nuance of the right toe...or break the toe again, reset and get the TOE right to fit the shoes? LOL

Also, 2nd of my 2/250 has arrived, will post pics - slight defect, interested to get feedback on whether to keep (the shoe fits into the above category.)

Bump. I have the exact same issue. I wound up going up a width, but that's not a satisfactory solution. I didn't try stretching because a lot of what I read said that stretching won't work. I'd be interested to know if someone can confirm/deny.

Last edited:

Beach Bum

Reaction score
I know AE has a lot of lasts, but is it just me or do a ton of their offerings seem bloated or chubby on the sides?

luv2breformed

Reaction score

I know AE has a lot of lasts, but is it just me or do a ton of their offerings seem bloated or chubby on the sides? 

+1

First thing my wife said when I got my meermins was how much sleeker they looked. Still love my AE's for what they are, and their excellent price makes them the most represented maker in my stable, but I think most of their lasts lack a certain elegance.

pudman43

Reaction score

Can any Mora 2.0 owners please give advice on sizing -- if I'm a 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, would I be the same on the 8 last?

Thanks!
I'd consider a 9D or 9.5D. Based on my recent experience, they fit VERY roomy, esp in width/volume. J

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wood chipper accident a few years back.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for the shoe care pros in this thread: what kind of treatment, if any, do you give to a brand-new pair of calf shoes? I'm relatively new to the nice shoes/proper care game, and have a new pair of black Park Avenues (worn twice) that I'd like to add a bit of shine to. Obviously, the leather is still rather soft and healthy looking, so they don't need a whole lot of love. Would it be acceptable just to add some wax polish to the toe caps for a nice shine? Or should I give the entire shoes some sort of treatment? I have conditioner/cleaner, cream polish, and wax polish, all AE products.

I appreciate the replies!

This is what I do with new calf shoes. I use AE Cleaner / Conditioner, buff, apply AE paste wax, buff, wear.

Chris

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First of my 2 for 250 is here. Strand I'm brogue suede.

Here's the issue:

The fit is pretty good and the spot is right where it would crease so I'm not that worried. I'd probably do that sooner or later anyway.

Does anyone know how I could try to get it out? I'm leaning hard towards keeping but want to try to get it out first. Spot doesn't bother me that much, except that it's really shiny in the light!

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It depends on what type of shine you go for.  For my calf shoes I always start with a coat of leather conditioner/cleaner (even when new) and then add a layer of AE polish (the kind in the tubes, not the hard waxy kind).  I then use a horsehair brush and a cloth to polish them up.  I also ensure the edges have dressing as well.  I never wear a pair of new AEs without a coating of polish but that's just me.  I also store them with AE shoe trees and in shoe bags to help keep them looking new.

This is what I do with new calf shoes. I use AE Cleaner / Conditioner, buff, apply AE paste wax, buff, wear.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. I'll go ahead and give me new shoes the full treatment.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: Mora, I was told that they run long, so I'd size down atleast a half size and potentially increase the width if that's ever an issue for you.

Anyone an 8E and looking for shark longwings? Grab these AE's!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...9920583?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a39e4c5c7
+1

First thing my wife said when I got my meermins was how much sleeker they looked. Still love my AE's for what they are, and their excellent price makes them the most represented maker in my stable, but I think most of their lasts lack a certain elegance.

That's American shoes for you. If you want elegance, go European.

I think they look blobby since the outsole has to be a bit bigger, given the 360 degree goodyear welting. If they glued some of their soles on, they could go sleeker. I think that the park avenue's are quite sleek though, no? As are the mora's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics