• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaperedGent

Reaction score
Called and grabbed the navy & the green neumok.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

tuckfro

Reaction score
So Allison said that my MTO Brown Cordovan Bayfields didn't make the final cut and I'm considering to change it to an MTO Brown Cordovan Promontory Point instead.

Can anyone comment on the sizing difference between the 1-last, which the bayfield is on, and the 8-last (678) which the Promontory point is on?

(Bayfield)

versus

(Promontory Point)
I have both the Long Branch and Promontory Point in a 9.5 D. Without the removable insole, the Promontory Point are more roomy than the Long Branch. However, they are not roomy enough to justify a smaller size.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks badass and not at all the profile I thought it had - I think people had mentioned they had to change the make as they got slapped with a lawsuit (I may be thinking of the wrong boot). What it used to look like was clearly a work/casual boot with a much stubbier/bulbous toe, but these would be comfortable as a crossover. I actually like them more than the bayfields, which I always admired. Can't wait to see yours if you decide to change.

anrobit

Reaction score
This looks badass and not at all the profile I thought it had - I think people had mentioned they had to change the make as they got slapped with a lawsuit (I may be thinking of the wrong boot). What it used to look like was clearly a work/casual boot with a much stubbier/bulbous toe, but these would be comfortable as a crossover. I actually like them more than the bayfields, which I always admired. Can't wait to see yours if you decide to change.
This is indeed the boot that had some legal issues. It was originally built on the Wolverine 1k last, and then Wolverine became very upset so they did some changes.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since we're on the Leeds (1 last) and the PA (5 last) debate. Which one actually run larger in its respective size?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So Allison said that my MTO Brown Cordovan Bayfields didn't make the final cut and I'm considering to change it to an MTO Brown Cordovan Promontory Point instead. Can anyone comment on the sizing difference between the 1-last, which the bayfield is on, and the [COLOR=444444]8-last (678) which the Promontory point is on?[/COLOR] (Bayfield) versus (Promontory Point)
You are mixing and matching a bit here. That top pic is mine and while one boot is a Bayfield the other is the Leffot Naval boot. Just making sure you are comparing the correct boots

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Being that the Leeds is built on the same last as the Dalton would they size about the same?

I found an 8D in the Dalton quite narrow so I am possibly moving to an 8.5D or 8E and wondering how I should size the Leeds.

Sounds like we are similar sized. I go 8E in Dalton and 8.5D in Leeds

Subutai

Reaction score

since we're on the Leeds (1 last) and the PA (5 last) debate. Which one actually run larger in its respective size?

I may be misunderstanding your question, but neither necessarily runs larger. The PA (5 last) is quite narrow. I size up a width.
I find the 1 last to run TTS

chris45

Reaction score
It's actually dark blue denim from uniqlo in slim straight. To me slim dark denim unwashed/aged/faded works well for "smart casual" that fits in with the vibe of this particular boot. I'm not sure if you're asking what else I wore on top - I want to say button down slate oxford with a chunky shawl cardigan. Can't remember if I was wearing a knit tie at the time.

Thanks for the compliments - I'm really happy with it and hope the rest of you are able to either get the MTO on that or make your promontory MTO. One of the other folks should have gotten their Eagle County today if memory serves correct. Can't wait to see them.

Someone also asked if they could take off a cap toe and leave a boot plain toe. I would bet the farm they can't/won't do that. If I had a farm to bet.
Thanks.. it appeared to be a very dark denim but wasn't quite sure if it was dark blue / indigo / etc... thanks for clarifying :D

And yes I was asking about the top, thanks again!

chris45

Reaction score
(shoving people out of the way to get to the phone)
lol... I would be doing the same but after calling this morning, my burgundy shell MacNeil's are being shipped to the Shoe Bank (not sure where they are coming from... but he did say no one has ever put them on). I think he wanted to get them in his hands before tossing them down this way (plus an extra review of them by AE Shoe Bank would never hurt :p)

I guess I can wait the few extra days =]

WICaniac

Reaction score
So Allison said that my MTO Brown Cordovan Bayfields didn't make the final cut and I'm considering to change it to an MTO Brown Cordovan Promontory Point instead.

Can anyone comment on the sizing difference between the 1-last, which the bayfield is on, and the 8-last (678) which the Promontory point is on?

(Bayfield)

versus

(Promontory Point)

Personally, I prefer the Bayfield, although it looks perhaps too much like an army jump boot (http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=1500&CategoryID=34). What, if you don't mind my asking, was the price on the Bayfield MTO?

This looks badass and not at all the profile I thought it had - I think people had mentioned they had to change the make as they got slapped with a lawsuit (I may be thinking of the wrong boot). What it used to look like was clearly a work/casual boot with a much stubbier/bulbous toe, but these would be comfortable as a crossover.

As anrobit indicated, this is the same boot. I wished I had been able to grab a pair when they were still made on the Wolverine last, which fits me better. I suppose the "russet" color that's available for the 1Ks is also proprietary. It's a shame, because AE currently has no colors to compete with Wolverine's russet (despite making the damn boot) or Red Wing's "cigar."

I have both in shell in an 11E. The Leeds is roomier (partly because it's a blucher) and would accommodate a casual sock; the PA fits like a leather glove over my dress socks.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we are similar sized. I go 8E in Dalton and 8.5D in Leeds

That's great advice, thanks! What shoes do you own now and in what size if you don't mind me asking?

Here is what I currently own:

McAllister - Walnut 8.5D (should have went to an 8E but it works still, it was my first pair of AE)
BB Park Ave - Dark Brown 8.5D (Fits well as the poron insole takes up more room in the shoe, 8E would still be better)
Kenwood - Brown grain 8D (fits very well)
Bayfield - 8D (fit slightly narrow but stretched because of the Chromexcel, fits well now )
Eagle County - Tan 8D (longer for sure but still a bit narrow, works better than the Dalton did and get no discomfort wearing all day)

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walnut shell Dalton - 8E
Burgundy shell Leeds - 8.5D
Cappuccino shell Bayfields - 8.5
Cappuccino shell Dundee - 8E
Tan suede Amok - 8.5D

May be a few other pairs but this is what I recall off the top of my head

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Just got an email about new chocolate web gems. Strands, PAs, Jeffersons and the current Dalton.

Having a hard time pulling them up on the web, but they should be there

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut shell Dalton - 8E
Burgundy shell Leeds - 8.5D
Cappuccino shell Bayfields - 8.5
Cappuccino shell Dundee - 8E
Tan suede Amok - 8.5D

May be a few other pairs but this is what I recall off the top of my head

Wow, I would love the Dalton, Leeds and Bayfield in the same make ups as those. Add a brown cordovan Strand and I think that would be my dream line up. Sad I got into shoes too late to catch any of the rare shells, now if they ever come back it seems prices are going to only keep rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads