• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Do you guys wear new shoes back to back when breaking them in or do you just put them in the rotation with everything else? I have a pair of Daltons that seem to be taking forever to break in because I have them in my rotation and maybe only wear them once a week. Should I try wearing them daily for a week straight? What is your routine for new shoes?

I might wear a new pair two days in a row (I just did in fact), but never an entire week. I usually wear them an entire week worth of evenings...at home...breaking them in on carpet - before they make their maiden voyage. Double soles take FOREVER to break in so wearing them around the house helps a lot!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might wear a new pair two days in a row (I just did in fact), but never an entire week. I usually wear them an entire week worth of evenings...at home...breaking them in on carpet - before they make their maiden voyage. Double soles take FOREVER to break in so wearing them around the house helps a lot!

I wouldn't wear them for regular use (a full day to work, etc.) until they have been "broken in" by a minimum of 3-4 in-house break in sessions of an hour or more each. I usually put on new shoes when I get home in the evening and wear them around the house for the evening or until my feet are tired which usually means 2-4 hours per night for at least 3-4 nights.

Once you are sure the shoes fit, this break in routine is really only helpful for making sure the soles are flexible before hitting concrete with them. Premature wearing on concrete will often result in heavy toe wear which could otherwise be prevented by breaking them in on softer or non-abrasive floors.

Some people choose to do this by carrying them to the office and wearing them around the office while they break in, and then changing into an older pair for the commute home. However you choose to do it, I think it's valuable to spare them the premature wear on the leather that results from stiff soles.

As for comfort, that's strictly up to you. Some people find them comfortable enough for all day wear from the beginning. Others take many wears before they find them very comfortable.

I've had pairs that continued to become more and more comfortable even after more than 50 wears, for what it's worth.

As for wearing them on consecutive days... Using the methods I described above, I do it every night (when possible) until I am ready to consider them "broken in." Doing that every day for a few days isn't going to hurt them and it isn't anywhere near the same as wearing them on consecutive days for regular working use.

If you are breaking them in at the office, wearing them most of the day, and your feet sweat a lot I would probably give them a day of rest to prevent premature wear on the linings. If you are wearing them for shorter periods and your feet aren't really sweating, I wouldn't worry about it. They will easily dry and your shoe trees will easily protect them between wears.

This is great info guys, thanks!

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Anyone have any hands-on experience with or solid info about the Ralph Lauren Stratford? I ask in this thread because I've seen it mentioned here a number of times as one of AE's for RL makes, but I just noticed that the website says it is made in Italy, which would seem to rule out AE. I've avoided the Stratford in the past, thinking it was made by AE on the dreaded 2 last, but might give it a try if anyone has tried them on and found them not to be ridiculously narrow.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys wear new shoes back to back when breaking them in or do you just put them in the rotation with everything else? I have a pair of Daltons that seem to be taking forever to break in because I have them in my rotation and maybe only wear them once a week. Should I try wearing them daily for a week straight? What is your routine for new shoes? 

I never wear dress shoes to work. I always change into them when I get to work.

New shoes I wear them for the 8 hour shift then rotate my shoes, never back to back. But thats just me. My kenilworth took a damn long time (a month) to break in properly.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just got my pair of Kenilworth seconds (bourbon) in the mail (came with white bags without request).. and I'm not sure I'm liking the 'flaw' -- please give me your opinions.

@OptoDoc I just realized I never answered your question on the size -- I ended up with the 8D in Kenilworth (Strand were 8.5D)

Hmm . . . the advice that people often give around here is that if it's something that will bug you even a little each time you look down, you're probably better off returning them. In this case, while I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to seconds, that might very well bug even me.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just got my pair of Kenilworth seconds (bourbon) in the mail (came with white bags without request).. and I'm not sure I'm liking the 'flaw' -- please give me your opinions.

@OptoDoc I just realized I never answered your question on the size -- I ended up with the 8D in Kenilworth (Strand were 8.5D)

IMO, you have to put them on and lace them up to see how egregious the problem is.
There is a possibility it will pull straight quite a bit when you have them on.
I know there is only 3 eyelets, but it still may look totally different tightened up.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score

how does it look when the laces are tied and the quarter is snugged down?

chris45

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies so far on the factory seconds above ..

@sqroot3 -- I wil be able to lace them up and put them on for better pics/etc in a few.. will repost when on the feet

OptoDoc

Reaction score

This is exactly how they worked out for me as well, sizing down a half in the Kenilworth.

As far as the flaw goes, I feel like you'll constantly be looking at your feet, worrying over it. Try sending them back for another pair (which will cost you $10) and see how the new pair works out. Unless it doesn't bother you. Then, wear them well, my friend.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

So I just got my pair of Kenilworth seconds (bourbon) in the mail (came with white bags without request).. and I'm not sure I'm liking the 'flaw' -- please give me your opinions. @OptoDoc I just realized I never answered your question on the size -- I ended up with the 8D in Kenilworth (Strand were 8.5D)
If the leather creases are the only issue on your Kenilworth, and it fits well, I'd probably keep them. Those creases will probably blend in somewhat with the creases sure to develop on the rest of the shoe as you wear them. But as others have said, if it bothers you, you should return them.

chris45

Reaction score
So here is a shot with them laced (not sure the best way to lace the 3 eyelets) and on my feet..

It does appear since lacing and putting them on, the creases are not as bad and not as noticeable; however, I'm curious on the ability to blend the colors a bit there (I'm new to quality shoe care/maintenance).

And they do fit great......

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Last edited:

mmmtttt

Reaction score
So here is a shot with them laced (not sure the best way to lace the 3 eyelets) and on my feet..

It does appear since lacing and putting them on, the creases are not as bad and not as noticeable; however, I'm curious on the ability to blend the colors a bit there (I'm sure to quality shoe care/maintenance).

And they do fit great......

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Personnally, I am very rarely annoyed by things that some people on this forum find problematic. The very large majority of seconds I have seen had issues I could easily deal with. This one though, I would have trouble with, since it is so obvious when I look down at my feet. In the end though, they're your shoes and they fit you well, so the only question is can YOU deal with that kind of thing or not.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
It does appear since lacing and putting them on, the creases are not as bad and not as noticeable; however, I'm curious on the ability to blend the colors a bit there (I'm new to quality shoe care/maintenance).

Chris, what you should take from these responses is that everyone is a bit different in their acceptance of flaws. What you can feel assured about is that this flaw does not lessen the quality of the shoe in any appreciable way. Therefore, if you like them, keep them. I can assure you that no one around the Red Stick will have a single ill remark regarding these beauties and you will most likely get the occasional, "Nice shoes...what kind are they?"

btw...I'm at the Whole Foods in Towne Center enjoying a cup of coffee and I have already received two compliments on my walnut Strands.

Last edited:

evilWagon

Reaction score
I have the same 'flaw' on my Kenilworths but they're pretty even on both shoes. I don't consider it a flaw per se but a condition that you'll only see on 'real' aniline leather I like the pattern and because it's on the outside of the shoe it's not in my line of sight normally. I've had the most compliments on that pair of shoes, more than all the rest put together. That being said they're 15D's so the scales a little different.

Last edited:

chris45

Reaction score
btw...I'm at the Whole Foods in Towne Center enjoying a cup of coffee and I have already received two compliments on my walnut Strands.

Nice on the compliments of the walnut Strands at Whole Foods!

When I was at the mall last week, I spotted two people wearing AE (middle-aged gentlemen, and a teen with his father) as they walked passed me.. Also noticed my sister-in-law's boyfriend rocking a pair of Strands in NOLA.

All of them had opted for black though
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics