1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the safety net, pal.

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

I honestly think AE needs to come out with more styles. From since I was introduced to the brand a few years ago (I think 3) it's been virtually the same designs.

Don't shoot me pls :)

Edit. My most comfortable shoes being the fifth avenue ( BB version) is the most hated at my workplace. My co-workers call it the "old man" shoes. This was when they compared it to my kenilworth which is more sleek and not as clunky looking as the fifth ave's IMO

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ravello LWB. No question. Alden's best model.

Plus I am mad about the MTOs.

4. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ouch indeed. I did that to the toe of my Walnut Shell Strands a long time back. With some buffing and brushing and buffing and brushing and buffing and brushing it should get down to a reasonable level. The depth makes it harder. My scuff was also semi obfuscated by the perforations.

But with some work and time, it will go down.

-Mike

5. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Got my first two in from the closeout sale.

First is a Brown Harrison. The color looks a little off in places. However couldn't find any out of place stitching or cuts.

[​IMG]

The leather seems a bit distressed on the sides. However, this may be normal. It seems they were tried on by looking a the vamps.

[​IMG]

Then there were these striations it appeared going down the side. However you have to look for them. I think some reno and polish will clear a lot of these issues up.

[​IMG]

There is some bowing you can see but it may just be from the trip over.

Then I got some Snuff Suede RL Sandersons. The AE number 91034. I think. So thought they were 3 last but they don't have the toe. So maybe 4 last?

[​IMG]

I think these are the issues with them. The rear piece is misaligned.

[​IMG]

There may be an issue with how the uppers are attached to the insole. I can see some of the stitching past the welt. Guess time will tell. And parts of the sole were a bit wavy.

I thought this was funny though. The Harrions says the 2nds should be 229 while they're "on sale" for 277. Then it says 1st quality Sandersons are 325. Which on the RL site they are in the 500 range.

[​IMG]

All in all at $150 each. I think they're keepers. Planning on getting married in the Harrisons.

Also have a Burgundy Shell Kenwood on the way as well. Crossing my fingers those will look as good.

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

The price hike last week and MTO fee news today ... now I guess everyone is jumping over the Alden boat.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Nah they will be back. It's just talk for now, however AE really needs to come out with more sleeker shoes.

What would you say is one step up from AE shoes?

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Carmina, C&J? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  9. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

7, I personally think Alden is, but they definitely come with their quirks. C&J is probably a step up from Alden. And EG from there.

1 person likes this.
  10. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

RL are on the 2 last.

11. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

Unless this is someone's MTO, I am almost certain these are actually tan saddle leather Freemans Sporting Club offered a few years back. The FSC version also came with tan laces. It is a bit darker on the picture below, but it should be the same shoe.

[​IMG]

Here's mine, for comparison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Eric Pease

Eric Pease Member

from the outlet sale last week, Elgin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was wondering if they were a returned MTO, but I think you've identified them, although mine do not have FSC printed inside. They have very a plain AE branded footbed. Code numbers are 5602 and 31309. Are they even on the 7 last? [​IMG] [​IMG] Might email Allen Edmonds and investigate further. Bought them from an ebay store called "Steve's Name Brand Shoes", where they were listed as walnut. I have some AE blue laces I might try with them. UPDATE: I contacted customer services at AE and they say these shoes are not MacNeils at all, but Schautals in Chestnut. That's a Nordstrom Rack exclusive model. I had thought the Schautal was a suede only version of the MacNeil. http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/29055#post_6596308 Either way, I love the shoes. Wearing them today for their first time properly. Even got compliments on them. Most folks round here never mention my shoes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  14. njruss

njruss Well-Known Member

15. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Interesting. All of them? I was just going off the usual AE code, though sometimes it doesn't work. Usually its the 4th digit in the model number, but this one had 5. I can believe 2 last though.

16. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight- Shoes marked with "no warranty" will not be recrafted at all by AE? That seems unreasonable. What's the explanation for that?

17. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I believe it means that they won't perform any repairs for defects (on their dime). I could be wrong, but I think they will work on it if you are paying.

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

They will recraft them. But if something happens during the process, or during normal wear, they won't fix it free of charge. You're out of your own picket to fix.

Typically this is because they were returned for serious structural defects, like the navy MacAllister MTO I did whose gumlight sole was peeling off of the welt. Hitch n post was selling them on eBay for 200$ with no mention of this serious defect. I even sent him a message about it. No response, no update of the listing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  19. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

Thanks tif. PMd.

20. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

So in this case, if you wanted to fix it, would you just have to pay the recraft fee?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.