• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for posting! I love threads like these.. I learn so much!

I have not made any shoe purchases, yet .. and after reading the forums, it appears Allen Edmonds is my best bet (for now at least)..

I need a nice dress pair, to be worn with suit, but also with other casual business wear.

First purchase I had in mind was a Strand (walnut) -- is that a good pick to start with?

It will be paired with a navy suit (and possibly charcoal blue suit)..

I am also a business casual kind of guy and like to enjoy going out on the weekends, so really looking for advice on a casual where shoe style/color. Or will the Strand still fit that bill?

Interested to also hear thoughts on me jumping right into a MTO, and if so, what recommended specs would you suggest? Or would you just pull the trigger now (and if so, via which store?).

Thanks a lot everyone and LOVE hearing/seeing/reading about what everyone likes/dislikes/opinions/etc.
I personally find the strand in walnut to be a little too loud for dark navy. Strand also comes in dark brown burnished and merlot, which I find much more versatile (and attractive). ditto for McAllister.

and some may disagree, but I personally think that the plain toe derby Kenilworth in dark brown or bourbon is the easiest shoe to dress either up or down.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can seconds be returned to an AE store or must they be shipped back to the Shoe Bank?

chris45

Reaction score
GooseG and peppercorn78, thank you very much for your reply/opinions.

I really like the walnut, but also was thinking the same with them being too loud with the dark navy suits ..

I'm guessing my purchase this week will line up closer to the business casual (even jeans/etc to go with a navy blazer). Should I keep my focus on the walnut Strand or move my way over to the plain toe derby Kenilworth (I like how you describe them as easy dress up or down)?

My second pair will be the ones that need to fully match up with the navy suits/etc -- looking at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald in navy as my first big suit purchase. So when that time comes, maybe then I'll grab the Strand but in a darker color, as you suggested to look into.

Thanks for also pointing me to McAllister

Olifter

Reaction score

Thank you everyone for posting!  I love threads like these.. I learn so much!

I have not made any shoe purchases, yet .. and after reading the forums, it appears Allen Edmonds is my best bet (for now at least).. 

I need a nice dress pair, to be worn with suit, but also with other casual business wear.

First purchase I had in mind was a Strand (walnut) -- is that a good pick to start with?

It will be paired with a navy suit (and possibly charcoal blue suit).. 

I am also a business casual kind of guy and like to enjoy going out on the weekends, so really looking for advice on a casual where shoe style/color.  Or will the Strand still fit that bill?

Interested to also hear thoughts on me jumping right into a MTO, and if so, what recommended specs would you suggest?  Or would you just pull the trigger now (and if so, via which store?).

Thanks a lot everyone and LOVE hearing/seeing/reading about what everyone likes/dislikes/opinions/etc.

I'd go with the Strand in merlot first. I think the Strand is pretty versatile, and walnut would be fine to wear with your suits at times, just not all the time. The McAllister would be a good alternative. Maybe make that in walnut you second purchase?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
What I've been told by the Shoe Bank is that you can return seconds to your local store, but said store is probably not crazy about your doing it - it's burden without benefit to them.

Speaking of returning seconds, I suspect most people here know that you're charged a $10 "restocking fee" for each return. One way you can avoid that fee is by paying the return shipping charges yourself rather than relying on their prepaid label (i.e., as long as you can do it for less than $10). I've done this at the Shoe Bank itself as well as at Freeport, although you might want to call before doing so just to make sure it's still possible. Not a ton of $ saved, but every little bit helps - and if you're returning more than one pair in the same box it can add up.

njruss

Reaction score
I went with the merlot McAllister as my first AE and have been waiting for a sale on walnut Strands since. Both are fantastic for dress and versatile. I am also planning to add one or the other in black. I have a pair of fairly new J&M black short wings but made the mistake of getting into AEs. Now I am not as thrilled with the J&Ms and want to sell them off!

doctorman

Reaction score
What I've been told by the Shoe Bank is that you can return seconds to your local store, but said store is probably not crazy about your doing it - it's burden without benefit to them.

Speaking of returning seconds, I suspect most people here know that you're charged a $10 "restocking fee" for each return. One way you can avoid that fee is by paying the return shipping charges yourself rather than relying on their prepaid label (i.e., as long as you can do it for less than $10). I've done this at the Shoe Bank itself as well as at Freeport, although you might want to call before doing so just to make sure it's still possible. Not a ton of $ saved, but every little bit helps - and if you're returning more than one pair in the same box it can add up.

i have returned items both back to the local store and to the outlet shop with their free return label. 1. the store at 44th and madison was clearly not happy about the return and they inspected it (and me) over and over. it didn't help that i look very young for my age either. but the shoe was worn once on my carpet and there was no reason for them not to accept it. 2. there was no restocking charge to my return to the freeport maine store with their free return label. they were polite and refunded me within days.

SanMarzano

Reaction score
Santa got me some good gifts this year. Brown Cliftons, Black Daltons. Anyone wear daltons with a suit?

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
I'm looking for some friendly guidance on sizing. Some time ago, I purchased 'Van Ness' (2 last) and 'Park Avenue' (5 last) in size '10.5 EE'. The fit of both was fine at the time though, unbeknownst to me, my feet were still growing at the time of my purchases (I've lost weight in the interim, so weight changes can't explain things). Now, both pairs of shoes are marginally too tight in terms of 'width', causing pain at the base of my little toe on both feet. Seeing as the '2' and '5' lasts seem to be designed for a more narrow foot, ordering 'EE' of those lasts basically restores the shoe to 'D' width. Now that my feet require true 'EE' width, I'm curious if there are any specific AE models or 'lasts' I should look into? Or should I consider ordering '10.5 EEE' Park Avenue?

If it's any help, here's the AE last guide I've been using: http://tinyurl.com/8oly3zu

Thank you!

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Nice gifts! I think we just had that discussion about a page or so ago. If you are confident in it...go for it!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Santa got me some good gifts this year. Brown Cliftons, Black Daltons. Anyone wear daltons with a suit?
Welcome to the brown Clifton club! I love mine. I think you'll find that they are really versatile, and the brown is a winning color with this shoe. I agree with earlier advice on the Dalton with a suit - as long as your pants aren't too short, I think they will be fine. No one will notice they're boots unless you show them while sitting, and then they will think they're cool. Nice choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads