Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Tampa!

2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks, ScottyB.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with my computer screen which makes the images of these shoes much too dark to see correctly. I'll have to wait until I get home to scope them out.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Maybe it's time to stop blaming the computer monitor and go see the optometrist about a new pair of glasses. [​IMG]

4. jogurt

jogurt Member

I know others have said this, but what you suggest sounds a lot like the Rapid City. And yes, they are prettier (and the leather much heavier-duty) than they look on the website. I just bought a pair.

5. evolved

evolved Senior member

Those of you with shell cordovan.....do any of you use the deer bone as part of the maintenance of the leather?

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

LOL! I didn't know that, but it's hilarious. My guess is that this whole thread was a front for his foot-fetish, and when he was found out...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

7. green garden

green garden Senior member

My experience, around 1 or 2 days after they receive the merchandise. They will inform you when they received it. Or you can track it and call them once it's delivered to confirm. Have returned twice (not seconds though) and never had a problem.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I noticed that, and don't know how long ago he was banned, but I think it was over a year ago. I've tried to figure out what some people have done to get banned, but it's nearly impossible. Often it's nothing more than simply posting something for sale in the regular threads, violating the rules. I don't know for sure if they give warnings or if you just get banned on first offenses for some things.

9. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I have a black/white/grey houndstooth sports coat that looks best with black trousers. Aside from occasions requiring a black suit, I otherwise avoid them.

A related question: how is the bone prepared? I'd rather not buy something that I can collect over the normal course of hunting season. Yet I understand that the bone used to shine cordovan deposits oil on the shoe, and I have no idea how to preserve a bone without drying it out.

10. SBear

SBear Senior member

Quote:
    I don't know either but I do see that all of his posts that are still accessible took place over ~3.5 months in summer of 2009. Maybe he wasn't so mild mannered after all?

11. SBear

SBear Senior member

Wearing my new (and first) cordovan shoes today (brown Norwich). When they arrived, I put my nose to them, having read so much about the distinctive smell. It hit me like a crashing wave. Smell is the sense that brings up the most intense memories. I didn't engage so much of a memory per se as an emotion (limbic connection). My father must have had something in shell cordovan because all I felt was an overwhelming sense of warmth, safety, and happy times from childhood. I can't explain it but I immediately thought about my dad and smiled. Enjoying my AE shells today, these are my new favorite shoes.

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Great shoes and great story!
    I hope the smell of cordovan reminds someone of me someday!

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Wearing my brown calf today [​IMG]. Can't say the same for smell, but I like mine very much as well. Underrated AE shoe.

Would like to see some picures if possible after you get some shine on them. The ones in store always look dull and neglected.

14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Sometimes it may take a while, especially if you are returning during (or immediately after) a busy sale that they had. A few times my card was charged but the shoes were never shipped until I called and inquired about them. Also, I had to call and ask about my refund more than once. Wait for a few days and if you don't get it before the end of the week, give them a call.

15. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I traveled to the U.S. over the weekend and went into an Allen Edmonds store to get fitted. As you can imagine, the size I should be buying is different from what I have been buying, but what I have still works and I'll continue wearing them.

My question is, in my "new size" there is a pair of Dundee Cordovan seconds, but Jeffersonville says the sides of the shoe are lighter than the toe of the shoe & tongue and it looks two tones. Can this be overcome/fixed or is it a lost cause?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.