1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

deleted

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I own this one:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF3010BRN_1_40000000001_-1_

I used it for a little while before I found another one that I liked better. It's US-made but I don't know by whom. I do think it's a pretty nice wallet, though.

If you're interested in buying mine, PM me and let's make a deal.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Probably because they're not the right size?

4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

More likely the last is no good for his foot.

5. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Question for the shoe care pros in this thread: what kind of treatment, if any, do you give to a brand-new pair of calf shoes? I'm relatively new to the nice shoes/proper care game, and have a new pair of black Park Avenues (worn twice) that I'd like to add a bit of shine to. Obviously, the leather is still rather soft and healthy looking, so they don't need a whole lot of love. Would it be acceptable just to add some wax polish to the toe caps for a nice shine? Or should I give the entire shoes some sort of treatment? I have conditioner/cleaner, cream polish, and wax polish, all AE products.

I appreciate the replies!

6. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

I just grabbed them off of eBay and think they look terrific -- similar to the Madison Avenues, but with a leather sole, instead of a rubber sole. Can anybody help me identify them?

[​IMG]

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Those look great. Congrats. AE has made Madison Aves with leather soles.

8. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

It depends on what type of shine you go for. For my calf shoes I always start with a coat of leather conditioner/cleaner (even when new) and then add a layer of AE polish (the kind in the tubes, not the hard waxy kind). I then use a horsehair brush and a cloth to polish them up. I also ensure the edges have dressing as well. I never wear a pair of new AEs without a coating of polish but that's just me. I also store them with AE shoe trees and in shoe bags to help keep them looking new.

9. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Here are my first of two pairs ordered from the sale (second pair should be here tomorrow). Tan Banchory's - the error is in the stitching near the heel and a black mark on the heel which came out in about five seconds after using sandpaper:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

11. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Saw this very thing a couple days ago... Actually, the shoe was a bourbon Kenilworth. Sanded, painted back sole, with 'WORN AND REFINISHED' on the price tag. That being said, I should have bought it; I love bourbon. Think it was $119, looked nearly flawless.

1 person likes this.
  12. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Member

What is the difference between using the AE conditioner cleaner and something like Obenauf's leather oil on your AE calf shoes? Are they interchangable?

13. ridethecliche

I wonder what this is from. Maybe returns? Displays that get beat up too much?

Don't they have a cobbler service they use? Maybe they get ones from there that don't get claimed?

14. ridethecliche

NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!

1 person likes this.
  15. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I've figured out that my 'right pinky toe is smarting in certain shoes' problem is because of a previously broken right small toe that healed less than perfect; in this case, do you stretch all shoes with the issue to accommodate the nuance of the right toe...or break the toe again, reset and get the TOE right to fit the shoes? LOL

Also, 2nd of my 2/250 has arrived, will post pics - slight defect, interested to get feedback on whether to keep (the shoe fits into the above category.)

16. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Can any Mora 2.0 owners please give advice on sizing -- if I'm a 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, would I be the same on the 8 last?

Thanks!

17. costlysignal

costlysignal Member

Bump. I have the exact same issue. I wound up going up a width, but that's not a satisfactory solution. I didn't try stretching because a lot of what I read said that stretching won't work. I'd be interested to know if someone can confirm/deny.

18. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

As beautiful as these all are, what I like most is that it actually looks like you wear them.

2 people like this.
  19. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

I know AE has a lot of lasts, but is it just me or do a ton of their offerings seem bloated or chubby on the sides?

1 person likes this.
  20. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

+1

First thing my wife said when I got my meermins was how much sleeker they looked. Still love my AE's for what they are, and their excellent price makes them the most represented maker in my stable, but I think most of their lasts lack a certain elegance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.