• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Thanks, ScottyB.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with my computer screen which makes the images of these shoes much too dark to see correctly. I'll have to wait until I get home to scope them out.
Gotcha, Doc. Basically, they look a lot like my snuff suede Neumoks but with the Strand design and a different sole. They are extremely comfortable, perhaps due to the Dainite sole.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do people here on SF insist on wearing black trousers?

Work dress code, perhaps?

Nah. Not a work dress code. I tend to wear bright shirts sometimes and bright pants other times, obviously doing both makes one look like a clown. If I'm wearing a red or orange shirt to work, chances are that I'm going to wear either khakis or black pants. Trust me when I say that I don't wear them often, but I do like wearing black pants from time to time. I'm good on black shoes and probably won't get anymore, but black boots have high utility in that I can wear them with just about anything. Sadly, AE's best black boot option for me is the dalton and I already have a set in walnut.

I have a black/white/grey houndstooth sports coat that looks best with black trousers. Aside from occasions requiring a black suit, I otherwise avoid them.

I just picked a wool blazer like that this weekend. It's going to go into the rotation as it starts chilling out over here.

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
Wearing my new (and first) cordovan shoes today (brown Norwich). When they arrived, I put my nose to them, having read so much about the distinctive smell. It hit me like a crashing wave. Smell is the sense that brings up the most intense memories. I didn't engage so much of a memory per se as an emotion (limbic connection). My father must have had something in shell cordovan because all I felt was an overwhelming sense of warmth, safety, and happy times from childhood. I can't explain it but I immediately thought about my dad and smiled. Enjoying my AE shells today, these are my new favorite shoes.

Pretty awesome story. Glad you enjoyed it.

Great shoes and great story!
I hope the smell of cordovan reminds someone of me someday!

I'm working to instill those memories in my kids (3 and 5) - they help my with my shoe maintenance routine whenever possible. Fortunately, they still want to. I know some day they will think it's not cool.

evolved

Reaction score
For cincikid and tifosi (and anyone else who placed an MTO shell order recently).....I had emailed Allison over the weekend to inquire about adding the Independence Collection liner to my order....unfortunately I'm too late, but fortunately the footwear is already past the cutting stage and is being stitched together. Hopefully that means our Macneils will be done well before the 8 week window that was originally quoted.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty awesome story. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm working to instill those memories in my kids (3 and 5) - they help my with my shoe maintenance routine whenever possible. Fortunately, they still want to. I know some day they will think it's not cool.
So that's how you guys with these big shoe collections keep everything looking so good. Free labor!

bucksfan

Reaction score
Wearing my new (and first) cordovan shoes today (brown Norwich). When they arrived, I put my nose to them, having read so much about the distinctive smell. It hit me like a crashing wave. Smell is the sense that brings up the most intense memories. I didn't engage so much of a memory per se as an emotion (limbic connection). My father must have had something in shell cordovan because all I felt was an overwhelming sense of warmth, safety, and happy times from childhood. I can't explain it but I immediately thought about my dad and smiled. Enjoying my AE shells today, these are my new favorite shoes.

P.S. if you really want a strong shell cordovan smell, go for an unlined pair (or an unlined wallet). I was just reminded of how much I like that smell as I took a credit card out of my unlined shell wallet (ashland leather, if you're interested) to buy a pair of unlined shell AE Kenwoods. I have a sickness...

So that's how you guys with these big shoe collections keep everything looking so good. Free labor!
LOL. Another few years and my oldest will be ready to start earning her allowance this way (that's what I did when I was about her age) The real trick is teaching my 3 year old not to brush the sole of the shoe.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. if you really want a strong shell cordovan smell, go for an unlined pair (or an unlined wallet). I was just reminded of how much I like that smell as I took a credit card out of my unlined shell wallet (ashland leather, if you're interested) to buy a pair of unlined shell AE Kenwoods. I have a sickness...
Where did you get a shell wallet? The only one I've seen is in the Alden store in NY, but I'd like some choices.

cincikid

Reaction score
For cincikid and tifosi (and anyone else who placed an MTO shell order recently).....I had emailed Allison over the weekend to inquire about adding the Independence Collection liner to my order....unfortunately I'm too late, but fortunately the footwear is already past the cutting stage and is being stitched together. Hopefully that means our Macneils will be done well before the 8 week window that was originally quoted.

Thanks for the heads-up! I just emailed Allison asking whether I could still switch, but apparently it's too late at this point. On the bright side, they should be ready sooner than we expected.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome. Thank you!

$200+ for a wallet??? Call me crazy... but having a wallet worth more than the cash it carries seems to be a waste of money... who needs wallets these days anyways?

I don't think so. If anything, it gets more use than a pair of shoes since one uses it daily and it under stress quite frequently (sitting, bending, inserting cash/cards, etc.). I definitely don't have more than the value of my wallet in cash usually, but i do appreciate the feeling of quality leather whenever I pull it out of my back pocket.

I do think you could get a nice wallet for less than $200, but since you only get one, might as well splurge on a nice one
biggrin.gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
My Mitchell Leather wallet with a well placed Horween stamp!

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a shell wallet as well. Got it from Mitchell Leather. I thought I paid $99 for mine so I guess the price went up. Better than $200, though.
http://www.mitchell-leather.com/Other_Products.php

I got the Mitchell Leather wallet at least. I got the money clip version, and it's wonderful. I copied someone else here, honestly, and got the #8 shell with the wheat CXL interior. The color combination is just outstanding.

I also agree with the unlined shell recommendation. I never buy lined shell, and in fact have ordered shell Neumoks from AE now so that I can have a purely shell shoe, to go with my unlined Wolverine shells.

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
$200+ for a wallet??? Call me crazy... but having a wallet worth more than the cash it carries seems to be a waste of money... who needs wallets these days anyways?

I use Ashland's "little New York" (or the "card wallet" in Mitchell's language). Both are around the $100 level I believe. I have that in one front pocket, my money clip in the other.

I agree with the other two posters, it is something that gets everyday use, and I honestly get enjoyment out of having a nice one in shell that was made in the USA. Not for everyone though (good thing too, as shell is hard to come by these days!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads