• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstasy

Reaction score
Can someone comment on fit differences between the 2 last (Player's) and the 5 last (Jefferson, Park Ave)?

I have the Jefferson in US9D, which is a little too long. Is the 2 last narrower or wider? If someone could post outsole (or insole) measurements of their 2 last in 8.5D, I'll be very grateful.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
My next AE purchase will be a pair of Daltons. I would love to get my hands on some burnished chili, but they don't make them right now. I must choose between bourbon and walnut. I have strand and clifton in walnut, the color is awesome. There are many pics of walnut daltons with jeans and slacks, but I don't find many bourbon. Can I get some help with some good pics?

Do an MTO in chili, same price and you get the color you want.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Earlier today, I placed an order for the Strand in brown (Brooks Bros), and Ralph Lauren's Sanderson in Tan from AE's. I placed the order through the AE Freeport Maine outlet. Paid $149 and $129 respectively for each. I highly recommend calling either Jennifer or Allison at Freeport. They were both professional and on the ball. I called and asked for a size list and they literally sent it to me as I we were talking. They called me back twice to update me on availability, etc. In short, 10/10 for customer service. An amazing deal plus outstanding service makes for a very happy customer.

I still can't believe I got these shoes for those prices. These are bad-ass staple shoes. I can't wait to see them.

Subutai

Reaction score
I second pics. I was really close to buying these over the summer. Went with a pair of rancourts instead.

Congrats! Need some "in the wild" pix.

Wore them this evening and I'm actually very happy with the purchase. The single leather combination sole is very comfortable and I also really like the Dublin Leather. I think they're fantastic at $159 . . . at full price (I they retail for $295?), I'm not so sure.

I apologize for the poor picture quality, hope this helps somewhat; will get daytime pics over the weekend.

Last edited:

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Who here is blessed with two different sized feet? Okay, I know that everyone to a degree has feet that aren't exactly the same but I've really been struggling finding the right fit in several lasts. In the past when I bought crappy, square-toed things I'd just go up 1/2 length and it didn't really matter. Frankly, when I buy sneakers I have an issue with the same. Using AE's measuring printout from the web (and confirmed with the Brannock) I'm:

Left: 8.5 D
Right: 8 E

I've been sizing for the right hoping to stretch the left a little but since it's a length issue, I've come up with poor results. I think I'll have to start sizing for the left and hope the right isn't too loose (or use tongue pads or something). I know that I could go MTO but most of the shoes I've bought are either during an AE sale or from the outlets where I've been able to save some money. I'd rather have proper-fitting shoes than to save a few bucks but it's been a lot of bucks.

I'm currently wearing 7.5 E on the 5-last and 8 E on the 1-last. So, you can see why my right foot is very comfortable while the left is not. On all of them I can feel a bump under the ball of my left foot. It has gone down some but is applying pressure such that it's uncomfortable and pushing my small toe out to cause discomfort there too. I think if I go 1/2 longer the left will sit properly.

I'm not sure I actually have a question; just wondering if anyone else has feet that are very different and if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

JohnnyGalt

Reaction score

So, I'm wondering how JohnnyGalt got the Macneil on the 5 last :puzzled:

Just to follow up on this, I'm nit sure what you guys were told but what you're looking at in those pictures is the MacNeil on the 5 last. It is quite a bit sleeker than the standard MacNeil (especially without the split reverse welt). Not to put anyone on the spot, as I very much appreciate what AE has done, but Alison told me that this changing lasts is something that is not traditionally done, but that in this particular case, they would be able to fulfill that request.

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps for whatever reason certain models and lasts can be altered. I was advised my dalton could not be made on the 5.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Earlier today, I placed an order for the Strand in brown (Brooks Bros), and Ralph Lauren's Sanderson in Tan from AE's. I placed the order through the AE Freeport Maine outlet. Paid $149 and $129 respectively for each. I highly recommend calling either Jennifer or Allison at Freeport. They were both professional and on the ball. I called and asked for a size list and they literally sent it to me as I we were talking. They called me back twice to update me on availability, etc. In short, 10/10 for customer service. An amazing deal plus outstanding service makes for a very happy customer.

I still can't believe I got these shoes for those prices. These are bad-ass staple shoes. I can't wait to see them.

:thumbs-up:

Patiently waiting for my $129 RL Slaton and $149 BB McAllistair.

Gotta love AE sales...

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
thumbs-up.gif

Patiently waiting for my $129 RL Slaton and $149 BB McAllistair.

Gotta love AE sales...
certainly is a great sale. I hope they turn out to b good quality. lets see pics!

AT83

Reaction score

Who here is blessed with two different sized feet? Okay, I know that everyone to a degree has feet that aren't exactly the same but I've really been struggling finding the right fit in several lasts. In the past when I bought crappy, square-toed things I'd just go up 1/2 length and it didn't really matter. Frankly, when I buy sneakers I have an issue with the same. Using AE's measuring printout from the web (and confirmed with the Brannock) I'm:

Left: 8.5 D
Right: 8 E

I've been sizing for the right hoping to stretch the left a little but since it's a length issue, I've come up with poor results. I think I'll have to start sizing for the left and hope the right isn't too loose (or use tongue pads or something). I know that I could go MTO but most of the shoes I've bought are either during an AE sale or from the outlets where I've been able to save some money. I'd rather have proper-fitting shoes than to save a few bucks but it's been a lot of bucks.

I'm currently wearing 7.5 E on the 5-last and 8 E on the 1-last. So, you can see why my right foot is very comfortable while the left is not. On all of them I can feel a bump under the ball of my left foot. It has gone down some but is applying pressure such that it's uncomfortable and pushing my small toe out to cause discomfort there too. I think if I go 1/2 longer the left will sit properly.

I'm not sure I actually have a question; just wondering if anyone else has feet that are very different and if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi Adam,

I'm in the same boat as you. I returned Blue Neumoks ( first quality amazon deal $136) and Walnut Strands ( Nordstrom Anniversary price) today. I had both pairs in 10d. I had a similar experience with Bayfield boots from Lands End earlier this year and am currently 9 weeks into a MTO for 10.5d left and 10d right. With my narrow heel I can't put both feet in the larger size and already plan to wear the Bayfields with Superfeet 3/4 length insoles.

I have donated most of my shoes this year and am feeling frustrated with my current shoe selection. All the collection photos and in the wild shots aren't helping my frustration SF. I even found myself considering buying cemented cheapies at kohls this week and throwing in Superfeet insoles to make them properly supportive. I have so far resisted that path. I am thinking I will call AE this week for a progress update on the Bayfields and also order Strands in 10.5d left and 10d right, paying more than I had for the Strands and the Neumoks, knowing that my middle toe on my left foot won't be continuously irritated or my right shoe falling off.

Some of us just won't be able to participate in the sales and outlet deals but at least we can still get high quality shoes made for us in the USA that will last instead of buying two pairs of cheap cemented shoes to make one pair and increasing our shoe waste even further. Just gives us more incentive to pick good quality classics so we can make due on a lean rotation.
AT

jasonmx3

Reaction score
My third AE pair in a little more than a month. A beautiful addition to my PA and Strand.

McAllister in Merlot (fresh out of the box)

From the pictures that I've seen here and online, I was expecting them to be a bit redder (less brown), but I'm not complaining. I personally prefer the darker shade as they seem to be more discrete.

This time around, I ordered an E and the lacing gap was much smaller. I just hope they don't totally close eventually (I'll straight lace them before I wear them outside).

I also decided to get the combination tap sole version just to try it out.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any feedback on the presidio loafer from brooks brothers? It's at a great price, and was wondering how the fit is on the 222 last. I normally wear a 10eee, and have read that I should go wider in width. But that isn't an option. It also looks a bit more elongated, should I be concerned?

uunngghh

Reaction score
The Presidio fit terribly for me. I'm normally a 10.5E in every other last, but the heel in the 10.5E for these was so loose that there wasn't even any heel slippage.because there was barely any contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads