1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Whilst there is a discussion regarding trees, can anyone give me advice on the Woodlore Epics (made by AE so relevant to this thread I think). I wear a 13D in the Brannock (13D in MacNeil and Dundee) and according to the sizing chart I seem to be right on the cusp between L and XL. Does anyone have any advice as to which size would work for me - they are actually for some C&J Harlech's in UK12E (US13D). Many thanks.

2. chris45

chris45 Senior member

How do you guys travel with your shoes? Toss them in the main luggage with shoe trees / shoe bags .. carry them in separate 'carry luggage' .. or what?

3. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

4. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I travel a decent amount for work. I find that shoe trees add to the weight of the luggage too much, so I fill the shoes up with newspaper or something like that and pack them in my luggage. The best option would be those light-weight plastic shoe trees. Either way, you want something in the shoes to ensure they do not get crushed and deformed.

1 person likes this.
  5. BCer

BCer Senior member

I just got back from a cruise, where I needed to take the usual dress shoes for formal nights. I packed my AE's in my suitcase, stuffed with socks & underwear (clean - haha) and in their AE bags. No way I wanted the extra weight of cedar shoe trees...worked like a hot damn. No scrunching or damage to the shoes at all. I've done this before with success too. I wouldn't try to stuff them into a suitcase 'empty', or they would surely get crushed by the monkeys who load luggage at the airports...

2 people like this.
  6. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I'm carry-on only so I have on a pair and a pair in my spinner bag. I travel with the lovely heavy shoe tress in them as well as the bags. I haven't traveled with a travel polishing kit yet - but I always bring a shoehorn with me.

1 person likes this.
  7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

8. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I put mine in my main luggage with trees in, inside their bags.

-Mike

9. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

same

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

If you buy 9, the order qualifies for free shipping. Comes out to a little over $76 + tax.

...I'm going to need more shelves.

Edit: It appears they are on backorder and will ship on February 21st [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Also keep in mind that you can add things like lint rollers or collar stays to push over the limit, depending upon what else you may've bought.

12. green garden

green garden Senior member

Stuff them with socks and I put them in separate shoe bags or plastic bags so that they don't rub against each other.

13. halfnhalfnhalf

Hmm. I wonder if the fact that I ordered 18 pairs has anything to do with that?

1 person likes this.
  14. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

I travel every week for work, Mon-Fri, so I might be a little overboard on this one. I don't check bags, just carry-on. I double bag my shoes with the inner layer being Lewis N. Clark shoe bags and the exterior being AE shoe bags which go in the reverse direction in order to cover the heel and the toe completely. I keep cedar trees in my shoes, and also bring another pair in my carry-on to use for my second pair. Need both pairs to be tree'd at night!

Lewis N. Clark bags: http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark...TF8&qid=1390342991&sr=8-15&keywords=shoe+bags

Also, I keep 3 shoe horns with me in different bags in case I ever need to pull one out. One in the outside pocket of the carry-on. One in the outside pocket of my briefcase. One in a travel-pouch that I take out of the briefcase and put in the pocket in the seat in front of me on the plane (in case I want to take off my shoes on the plane).

1 person likes this.
  15. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

For anyone interested, Leffot is having a sale on the AE made Wolverine 744LTD cordovan boot. $532 isn't a bad price for some shell boots. Unfortunately, none in my size.

16. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Only 7.5 and 8.5 left. What other Wolverines (if any) does AE make?

17. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Krause boot, 721 ltd, i believe. I am sure there are others.

18. halfnhalfnhalf

That is a really nice boot. I bet Allison could hook us up with an MTO/custom, although I'm sure it would cost $760 rather than $532. So many boots, so little time . . .

19. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I had actually asked her this. She told me the Promontory Point is the closest she could get, as the lasts for the 721 and 744 are owned by Wolverine.

1 person likes this.
  20. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

AE makes all the 360 degree welted Wolverines.

The Promontory Point last is almost identical to the Wolverine last anyway. AE got in quite a bit of trouble for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.