• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upward

Reaction score
Let's make this the walnut Strand problem hour.

I previously posted a picture of my seconds showing this problem, but decided to keep them:

I wore them one time and that same shoe is creasing like so:

While the other shoe still looks like this:

Any advice/thoughts on what to do? Will that one shoe get progressively worse? Does it look like they may need to go back? Thanks!
The first quality Strands I owned had much worse creasing than that in the toebox and on the sides higher up.

Allen Edmonds mailed me replacements. The new ones have creasing elsewhere and it looks like the leather has dried out in a spot and is about to start chiping. AE is about the make a third exchange.

I don't know what advice to offer except keep exchanging your Strands until you get a good pair. When AE looked at my shoes they were not concerned about the creasing in your first pic, they say that is normal, they were more concerned about the creasing in the toebox which looked 100X worse than your creasing.

shartmann

Reaction score

Brown shell strand

Great looking shoes. Too bad the Leeds are delayed. I received an email notice last week that one of my shell MTO's had shipped. There wasn't any tracking number included, but I thought I would receive them by Monday at the latest. When they still had not arrived yesterday I sent an email asking about status, and was told the email was a mistake and the shoes are still in production. I feel like Lucy just pulled the leather (football) away.

Subutai

Reaction score
I ordered my first pair of AE seconds. Here is a picture of the defect. It's pretty deep. I'm guessing this should be exchanged for another pair. I'm not expecting perfect, but I don't think this could be covered up of would happen with normal wear.

Surprised these made it through, even as seconds. That's awful; I would definitely return them

Superfudge

Reaction score

I previously posted a picture of my seconds showing this problem, but decided to keep them:

Any advice/thoughts on what to do? Will that one shoe get progressively worse? Does it look like they may need to go back? Thanks!

That crease in the waist of the shoe is a common feature of Strands, most pairs have that, it's a result of tension in the leather when it's strecthed around the last. As for the creases, shoes crease when you wear them. Use some shoe trees to minimise it, but if you want shoes without creases, stop wearing them.

tietherope

Reaction score

That crease in the waist of the shoe is a common feature of Strands, most pairs have that, it's a result of tension in the leather when it's strecthed around the last. As for the creases, shoes crease when you wear them. Use some shoe trees to minimise it, but if you want shoes without creases, stop wearing them.

I don't really appreciate responses like this. Obviously shoes crease and I'm of course using shoe trees. One is creasing in a much different way than the other and different from my pair of McAllisters. The way it is creasing concerned me so I posted to ask about it. I'd appreciate a response either saying it is normal, or it's not normal, that's it. Unfortunately your post did neither.

bgp001

Reaction score
Hm, AE is not a premium product, it sits in the entry level of various decent Goodyear welted shoes; but with its variety of styles and fittings, good quality control and customer service, made in USA and widely available, it's one of the best brands in its price range.

And since they are hand crafted with machines, what myself and some other members are saying is to have the right expectation that not everyone pair is going to be matching and perfect.

And with defects, fair enough, no one deserves them and they should be returned.

I get that not every pair will be the same, and a certain amount of that is just character, but I still stick by the fact that AE is a product you pay a premium for, and that you should expect a higher level of attention for that premium. Kenneth Cole, Steve Madden, Aldo, these are run of the mill shoes, the kind people pay $70-100 for. I would not expect anything from these shoes. Allen Edmonds run 3-4 times that amount, and for that premium, I do expect something.

To follow the car analogy, I wouldn't expect anything from a Nissan Versa, but I would from a Lexus ES350. Yes, an ES350 is barely luxury, and I wouldn't expect Rolls Royce levels of fit and finish, but I do expect it to be a step up from the Versa. Example: orange peel in the paint, mis-matched panel gaps, fine for the Versa, not so for the Lexus. Defects in the leather or finish, frayed stitching, fine for Aldos, not ok for AE.

Bottom line, if I'm paying $200-300 or more for a pair of shoes, I want something nice (relatively). AE recognizes this, and that's why they have such a generous return policy.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really appreciate responses like this. Obviously shoes crease and I'm of course using shoe trees. One is creasing in a much different way than the other and different from my pair of McAllisters. The way it is creasing concerned me so I posted to ask about it. I'd appreciate a response either saying it is normal, or it's not normal, that's it. Unfortunately your post did neither.
Agreed. No reason for that kind of sarcasm on this thread.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

If there is one thing I have learned when dealing with AE, there customer service is great. I think you should just take them in to a store or send them the same pics and see what they say, whats the worse that can happen?

fiddlestyx

Reaction score
If its gonna bother you, exchange them. Nothing is worse than having a pair of shoes that you hate looking at.
I'm assuming not, but is there any chance this is something that can be covered with polish/cream? Its small, but I feel there is a chance I'll end up fixating on it.

Last edited:

WiredandTired

Reaction score

I'm assuming not, but is there any chance this is something that can be covered with polish/cream? Its small, but I feel there is a chance I'll end up fixating on it.

I've dinged up a pair, it's possible to cover it up with creme and wax but it's never permanent. You will need to patch them up as wax and creme get either worn away or brushed off.

Last edited:

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up today, wish they were 11 D (my size)

Last edited:

LeviMay

Reaction score
Long Branches for travel:

Premier Plaza lounge, Edmonton International Airport.

fiddlestyx

Reaction score

I've dinged up a pair, it's possible to cover it up with creme and wax but it's never permanent. You will need to patch them up as wax and creme get either worn away or brushed off.

Considering they're brand new shoes, I dont want to start off with a gouge/scuff (even a small one) before wearing them. Thinking I need to stop by Nordstroms and returning them. Hopefully they can order a new pair for me.

Definitely a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to wearing them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads