Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc121

rc121 Senior member

^this^ it has gotten ridiculously repetitive in the same questions and same responses. I understand that Nordstrom is having a sale on AE at the moment, but it would be nice to get back to the topic of "appreciating" AE (note the name of the thread) and not "how to purchase, return or get fitted at your local Nordstrom and then get your free shoe shine"

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    You're absolutely right about Liz. Forgot about her.

In the absence of getting excellent customer service from any sales associate at any store, then perhaps the manager would be the next step. My attempt to recommend a phone call to a manager was meant to save time from getting into the wrong relationship with staff who does not care.

3. David Copeland

The major fuss will die down as the sale expires at Nordstrom's. But for now, Nordstroms is SAVING OVER $100 per pair they have on sale, and I believe customers should fully investigate the options rather than skim through what is available at any store.

Nevertheless, I believe any "appreciation" of Allen Edmonds shoes in the topic is founded in how a customer was treated by the company who sold the shoes. More and more I read of horror stories of how the customer expected a local store to have their size, color, and style in stock for that perfect fit - only to be disappointed or led to purchase a different style than what they had they hearts set on. That can all be avoided by entering into a relationship with the right associate who will not place limits on the resources available.

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I have seen the walnut in person- touched it and everything. The bourbon I only saw at a glance, will need to see it in detail before I make a decision.

5. rc121

rc121 Senior member

David,

While I understand this importance, how many times must it be addressed when the same question is being asked over and over again and flooding the thread?

6. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Looking to get some Brown Strands, however, what's throwing me off is the fact that the shade of brown looks different in almost every picture I see. Can someone give me an accurate depiction of the actual brown I'll receive?

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

boots look great, I think walnut is my favorite ae cordovan color.

8. David Copeland

Excellent question.

And from what I see is that newcomers are driving the questions instead of taking the time to search out the previous discussions.

Perhaps it is the nature of the forum software (which is more limited in functions than other more popular forum software tools.

Perhaps it is the lack of more advanced search tools.

Yet, when someone wants a quick answer or post a quick beef . . . I would rather see an answer to their post than allow it to stand on false or misleading merits.

Still, there are many posts that I just skip over because I have little interest in posting to them. For that, I see we are closing in on 1700 pages . . . most of which could be archived by a moderator.

David

9. David Copeland

The following polish chart for Allen Edmond Shoes may help:

CLICK HERE

10. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

While this isn't a cure to the aforementioned malady, it is a treatment:

[​IMG]

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

Top mentality, people need to understand they are shoes at the end of the day, they get worn and the creases will take the attention away any small non perfection there are on the shoes.

12. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but AE is a premium product, and if you're buying a premium product you shouldn't be forced to accept flaws just because "they're shoes." A car is just "a car" but if I'm paying a premium for a Lexus or an Acura (which I would equate to the same level of modest premium that AE is), I don't expect it to come with dents and rock chips just because "it's a car."

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Shoes often have the human element added to the equation. Certainly products that are made in part or totally by hand will have small flaws. AE really prices their shoes at a competitive price point for what they offer. With that said it is up to each of us to determine what is and what is not acceptable. AE has an awesome return policy which does not force anyone to accept anything. I don't want to speak for wurger but I believe he was simply pointing out that often people get bent out of shape worrying about things that may ultimately occur the first time worn.I certainly can understand bgs perspective and in an ideal world that may apply but seldom is anything perfect.

14. leftcoast

leftcoast Member

I for one appreciate David's contributions to the forum. The info he provided just saved me $115 on a new pair of dark brown Strands, for which I otherwise would have paid full price. Thanks David!

I agree there's a lot of repetitive info in this thread, but it's not just about Nordstrom and it's certainly not all from David. You can find hundreds of repeating discussions that regurgitate info about sizing, imperfections, AE return policies, shoe wardrobes, shoe care, color selection, etc. There are >25,000 posts in this thread, most of which are from the past 12 months. It averages to about 50 new posts per day. And let's be honest, there's only so much new stuff you can say about AE shoes every day. The other popular mega-threads at SF have the same type of repetition, as new people jump in and post the same questions/comments over and over. Blaming this on David doesn't seem fair.

15. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

are these brown strands calf or cordovan?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.