• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbhrb

Reaction score

I already have the McTavish in black and the waxy tan but the more I look at the distressed brown: the more I want a pair. On clearance for $247.00 on the website. They even look good on the AE website pictures, which is rare.
I have them and they are my favorite shoes to wear with jeans

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't exclude the combo based on the balmoral styling alone. And I avoid absolutes. The setup may be difficult to pull off but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely.
I'm not sure that balmoral-style shoes, which tend to be more formal, can work with something casual like jeans. I'd like to see some photo examples, though.

A black captoe bal with jeans??

Should be avoided 100% of the time.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size 9.5D brown shell Randolphs on eBay going for $20 right now.
...good luck ;)

ronnythebest

Reaction score
I got a pair of Park Avenue's in black recently, but had to exchange them because of the size, too much slippage. Instead of shoes on standard leather sole I received combination v tap rubber. My question is should I keep them or exchange for leather? I dont wear formal shoes often at all, but may be in the future(not soon).
Also I need to build all shoe collection from zero and would like to have some recommendations on 2nd, more universal pair that can go with jeans. I know it was discussed here many times, but would like to have some recommendations. I was also eyeballing wolverine 1000 boots, but that's another discussion I guess...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a pair of Park Avenue's in black recently, but had to exchange them because of the size, too much slippage. Instead of shoes on standard leather sole I received combination v tap rubber. My question is should I keep them or exchange for leather? I dont wear formal shoes often at all, but may be in the future(not soon).
Also I need to build all shoe collection from zero and would like to have some recommendations on 2nd, more universal pair that can go with jeans. I know it was discussed here many times, but would like to have some recommendations. I was also eyeballing wolverine 1000 boots, but that's another discussion I guess...
I guess it depends on wear you'll be wearing them. I live in NYC, and feel more comfortable with the V-Tread soles when navigating wet pavement and filthy subway platforms. But if I lived somewhere where I mostly drove to my dedtinations and walked around indoors, I would prefer the all-leather soles. It's most likely psychological, but for some reason I feel that the V-Treads don't allow the sole to mold to my gait quite as well as they would otherwise.

BUT taking a complete wipeout on slippery pavement steps two years ago piqued my interest in the V-treads....

Olifter

Reaction score

Hi guys, 
               I am in the market for my first first allen edmond. I am looking for something that can be worn with suits or jeans.
I narrowed down to strand walnut / park avenue black. I am going to New York for 4th of July weekend. Can anyone suggest the best place/deal to buy one or both these shoes? Looks like nordstrom will have sale around July 10th but it appears like lot of people are gunning for that sale ;).

Also if anyone knows any reliable ebay seller for AE shoes please let me know. 

Thanks in advance

If it is either/or, I'd go with with the PA if I was wearing them with mostly suits, the walnut Strand if wearing them mostly with jeans.

If you are open to other options, I'd consider a merlot, or burgundy, LWB or PTB.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you had success in them price matching Nordstrom before?

I have, and in the Rockefeller Center store too. They would only match on the specific model/color combination though. I'm not sure if anyone ever had success matching the model with a different color. Either way, you are better off at the AE store due to the various widths they offer in-store.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Plano, TX store did for me last year. But, they were walnut strands, ie one of the Nordstrum sale items.

Suit Up

Reaction score
Anyone have insight on the return policies for the seconds that ship to Canada, didn't get my shoes yet but I'm a little worried about the fit. I tried ordered the Kenilworth in 7.5D after trying on some flatiron 7.5d that fit perfectly (8 were too big). I then realized that the last wasn't the same so I dug deeper and finally found a store that had some Kenilworth in Montreal, the 8D, when tied extremely tight seemed to fit OK (i.e. the heel barely lifted).

Having said that, I'm hoping for the best, hoping that the 7.5D will fit but I just want to make sure I have the proper tools to deal with the return if it comes to that. Any insight is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads