Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

I exchanged the 10.5's for 10's and they are a bit more snug but not as snug as I thought back when I originally purchased the shoes. I believe they only had 2 pairs of 10's in the store. I ditched one of the pairs due to wrinkling leather by the outside of the lacing. He brought the next pair out and on the bottom it seems the groove on where the stitching goes is not as deep as any of the other shoes I've seen. The stitching is pretty much flush with the sole (he assured me it wasn't a big deal). There is also a tiny black spot (not that big of a deal) between the lacing and the toe. Back to the stitching, I know AE uses a lock-stitch (I think that's the name of it) so it is very durable, I just don't want any problems.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

2. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I have worn the shell fifth streets for about 8 months now and they are pretty comparable to my other 5 last shoes; Strands, etc.

I took up Paul on his special make up offer and am getting another pair of shell fifth streets, but I am going with 8EE rather than 8E.
    When I spoke to the MTO SWAT I told them I was probably a little full for an 8E but would be swimming in an 8EEE. They said that although they do not offer it on the website, they had an 8EE last they could make the MTO from. After them sending a special 8EE makeup of a Cambridge, I ordered the new fifths in 8EE. They should land late in July... will post pics when they get here.

3. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

I have the Player's in suede and a few last #5 shoes. For me, I am able to wear the same size 9D on both lasts.

4. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

I've only returned a pair of 2nds once and I had to pay for the shipment back to Port Washington. For 1st quality, so far they've covered the return shipment. Hope this helps.

5. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

I've only returned seconds twice from Canada and never paid a penny.
    Asked for and received a FedEx return label.
    That's all.

6. Suit Up

Suit Up Member

Thanks alot for the insight, still hoping they will fit, would make it all easier! Been two weeks already, I'd hope they at least notify me when they ship and send me a tracking number...

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I wouldn't worry about the stitching. All Goodyear-welted soles are lock-stitched, and some don't even use a groove or trench to protect the stitching at all. Allen Edmonds didn't use a groove to protect the stitching until recent years. The stitching was just flush or on top of the leather sole.

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I'm 30 years old. Just because you're young doesn't mean you have to be at the whim of every new trend you see in a magazine or online photo.

9. jonnyboy88

jonnyboy88 New Member

I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands over the phone during AE's tent sale. They fit and look fine, other than some striping on one of the cap toes. Should I just return them, or is this something that could be polished out? If so any recommendations on what I should use?
    [​IMG]

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I like it. Looks like marbling.

11. ronnythebest

ronnythebest Member

Is it too much and I should return them? 2nds. They were never really worn and already look like that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Looks pretty good for 2nds. They're bound to develop creases with use.

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I would keep them. They'll get more creases than that the first day you wear them. We the heck out of them! They look great.

14. Spex

Spex Senior member

I have a 5-last boot in 10.5D and tried the Kenilworth on. 10.5D fit the best for the Kenilworth (didn't like the look so didn't buy them). I have the Parkway (same last as the Flatiron) in 10.5 and they fit great. Hopefully keeping to the same size will work for you as well.

15. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Have any pics in real life you could share?

I have the black McTavish which I wear with jeans and love. Curious as to how these distressed leather ones look versus the cognac McTavish.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.