1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Gotcha. I see it now. I'll have to look into it. Just found the shell wallet thread so I'll look around there. Based on what I've been reading there and the Alden thread, people have some worries about the cordovan shortage. Doesn't seem to be as prevalent for people here (on the AE thread) unless they're looking for the now depleted "unique" colors. Does AE have access to more shell than the smaller companies and is less affected by the possible shortage?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

I have a Saddleback wallet(medium bifold) and I wish I spent more on something better. Their finishing(if you can call it that - the edges arent finished at all) leaves a lot to be desired. Also they recently sent out an email announcing that they are no longer cutting around blemishes, scrapes, nicks, etc in the leather. Not only that, they tried to sell it as an improvement that shows off the life of the cow. It's like they took a dump on their customers and told them it smelled good. That email, the finishing, and their general marketing efforts(disasterous AMA on Reddit comes to mind) has really turned me off of them.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I presume AE just had much more shell in storage and perhaps a bigger allocation from Horween.

4. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I think that'd be me -- glad to hear it's worked out well for you! I've been using mine daily for over a year and couldn't be happier with it; wish my #8 shoes would patina half as fast as the wallet did. Here's some shots after the first six months or so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am hoping that by the time my English tan Dublin Bayfields are done I can successfully convince myself to buy a matching belt from Dave Mitchell. On the other hand I can pick up a #8 shell cordovan belt from AE during the RDA sale (one more week!) for less than that. Decisions...

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I am wearing my dublin belt from Dave today. It is well worth the investment!!

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

This might be a warning to all those who involved into the discussion of the leather wallets on the last few pages. I am pretty sure Mild Mannered was banned for discussing the non-AE made stuff in the designated AE thread [​IMG]

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I'm telling you, it was either a cover for a foot fetish or he was caught asking for noods.

8. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I think it's a matter of grade and rarity of shade. AE seems to be much more willing to take shell that has natural marks on them, underlying scars, or inconsistent shading. Alden is less willing to take those, I'd wager, and they are also more interested in the "rarer" colors that require consistency and a precise color result. Rancourt seems to have no problem getting natural shell cordovan either, but again, they are less concerned with black marks on the shell.

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Hmm. I don't have anything of theirs, but I had considered the same wallet you have. I like the idea behind their product, but if it falls short on delivery, that's good to know.

10. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

AE is now depleted of any "unique" colors. They have black, burgundy and brown. Although compared to Alden, brown is unique to AE. Rancourt seems to have no issue with it's natural shell stock.

11. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Unless there's a last minute change, I am supposed to be at the Horween factory tomorrow in the am. I will post any updates on the cordovan front.

Btw, how do you compare AE Brown to Alden cigar? I think this has been discussed million times, but, given the variation in the shades of the shell, I am still curious whether Cigar is closer to AE Brown of Cappuccino?

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I own a Saddleback briefcase and the finishing is top notch. I would not hesitate to recommend them at all

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Also good to know.

I am sure it depends on what you are looking for. Even with regards to the wallet, there are rugged utilitarian looking wallets, and there are nicely finished executive looking ones (with everything in between). I may still consider them when I need a new wallet, whenever that may be.

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

It seems to me these MTOs always have some sort of issue that requires them to be redone. If that's the case, you could say, "Hey, can we add the Independence lining..."?

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Is there something wrong with the seconds?

I think he just wanted to add the lining. It isn't an issue that requires redoing....

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yes. They are defective. They did not pass QC. Could be a variety of reasons.

17. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

The leather is creased a bit more than I might like over the vamp. While I understand this is natural in many cases, my strands for example are creased less severely.

18. evolved

evolved Senior member

According to MTO Allison that's the only way that the different lining could be done at this point in production.

19. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Well, I would not assume you won't like them "as is." I have a pair of Alden bluchers that are officially in Ravello but on each shoe, the cap toe and quarters are one shade of brown and the vamp is another. Sort of a subtle "spectator" look to them.

Some might see that as an annoyance but to me it is part of their charm.

As to the Dundees, other than the possibility of a small restocking fee and a possible return (which might a big hassle if you can't get them mailed back to return while still in the country), I'd suggest you give them a try. Or perhaps J'ville could e-mail you pictures.

20. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

True, but I hope this won't happen as AE is out of the cappuccino shell, unless they have some back up specifically for such cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.