• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
originally I ordered cappuccino daltons but allison advised me the walnut was in much shorter supply. I will post pics asap, I had to delay shipping due to an upcoming trip to ny. I didn't want them hanging out in the doorstep. I also ordered a walnut belt as finding a matching belt elsewhere would have been tough especially with all the variations in shell. I am hopeful the belt and boots will come from the same run of shell.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Walnut shell was my first pair of Daltons and they're about a year old. The patina is aging nicely and these are one of my favorite boots. Mine are unlined. I bet that you'll be really happy with them. Enjoy!

Odradek

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Shoes by AE

I've just read a post over at AAAC where a former Brooks Brothers salesman seems to say that the Brooks Brothers shoes are made with lower quality leather than their regular Allen Edmonds counterparts, and that they don't take a shine as well.
Can this be true?

I thought it was only the soles and the Poron insole that were different.

tampatravel

Reaction score

Brooks Brothers Shoes by AE

I've just read a post over at AAAC where a former Brooks Brothers salesman seems to say that the Brooks Brothers shoes are made with lower quality leather than their regular Allen Edmonds counterparts, and that they don't take a shine as well.
Can this be true?

I thought it was only the soles and the Poron insole that were different.

I highly doubt this. First off, AE only makes slight changes with their BB shoes. For example the Poron insole and with respect to my Park Ave BB's a rubber forefoot. It would probably cost AE more $$ & more time to make them with two different kinds of leather.

Plus, let's face it AE wants to be carried by BB because it gets their name out there to some people who haven't heard of them (who hasn't heard of AE? PLENTY of people - believe me!). I doubt they'd want to make a crappy impression that way.

goldenboy16

Reaction score
does anyone have any input on the fit of dalton boots compared to the park avenues? I wear 10.5 D park aves and they're great.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Hi,

Just have a quick fit question for you AE gurus. I have a pair of AE strands and AE provos, both in a 13D, and they fit fine, but not great. I am wondering what size I should look to try for a better fit. I want to order some new shoes (strands, fifth or park ave) in the tent sale.
The current problem is that the 13D doesn't fit snug like I feel it should. The width is alright, but its a little longer than I think I need. My actual foot is 11 7/8" long, 4 1/4" wide at the balls of my feet, and 4" wide at the mid foot. Should I be looking at a 12D or 12E? I don't really have much access to trying many shoes on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David Copeland

Reaction score
Hi,

Just have a quick fit question for you AE gurus. I have a pair of AE strands and AE provos, both in a 13D, and they fit fine, but not great. I am wondering what size I should look to try for a better fit. I want to order some new shoes (strands, fifth or park ave) in the tent sale.
The current problem is that the 13D doesn't fit snug like I feel it should. The width is alright, but its a little longer than I think I need. My actual foot is 11 7/8" long, 4 1/4" wide at the balls of my feet, and 4" wide at the mid foot. Should I be looking at a 12D or 12E? I don't really have much access to trying many shoes on.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What major city are you near? You may need a free professional fit by an authorized men's shoe store.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I live in Canada, Winnipeg specifically. We have one Harry Rosen that carries some AE shoes, but the supply is super super limited. In terms of both sizes and styles. I think they only carry 4 different styles. I am planning on checking there this week, but just want a second opinion here as well.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any input on the fit of dalton boots compared to the park avenues? I wear 10.5 D park aves and they're great.

Many will recommend going with an 11D in the Dalton for your case. Some others stay the same size in the 1-last (Dalton) as the 5-last (Park/Strand). I went with the former (size up 0.5 from the 5-last to the 1-last). Try to get to a store and try them on if you can.

thecooldude33

Reaction score
Here is a random pic of the mirror shine I am working on with my Park Avenues. I am using Saphir wax. Opinions?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect backdrop for the Strawfut - 28" of snow.
And that was last month! I'm thinking when the Head Hunter was talking to me about moving to Mn. and he said that there was a few weeks of piss poor sledding here I should have paid a bit more attention?!
Anybody else have an opinion?
I would keep them. It looks like a pretty small flaw and is in an area that's least noticeable. I would let the folks at AE know about it and keep an eye on how this spot wears over time. My guess is it will be fine, but if not and this just gets worse then maybe you could exchange. These are incredible looking shoes, but you need to make sure you will be happy with them and not always looking at and thinking about this section.
I am not the wordsmith that that shartmann is but agree with ever word that he said. And I agree with everything that he said.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt this. First off, AE only makes slight changes with their BB shoes. For example the Poron insole and with respect to my Park Ave BB's a rubber forefoot. It would probably cost AE more $$ & more time to make them with two different kinds of leather.

Plus, let's face it AE wants to be carried by BB because it gets their name out there to some people who haven't heard of them (who hasn't heard of AE? PLENTY of people - believe me!). I doubt they'd want to make a crappy impression that way.

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads