Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Welcome to SF and also the Allen Edmonds thread, great beginning :). And most of all Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads.

I am looking at the same exact pants on STP but haven't put them in the cart yet. I have 2 pair of shoes that I can see going with them and maybe the Patriot loafer in both brown and burgundy shell. The first is the AE for BB Seven. I'm thinking about cutting the tassels off but haven't done so yet, it is as near to a spectator shoe that I own. I purchased mine as seconds and can't find any flaws. I would have a hard time buying them at retail from BB being a seasonal shoe. Not my favorite but would work I believe:
    [​IMG]
    To me the no brainer is the Strawfut in brown. Also purchased as seconds during the 2 for $200 sale awhile back. A great summer shoe and would work well with linen pants I think.
    [​IMG]

2. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Perfect backdrop for the Strawfut - 28" of snow.

3. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Your walnut strands would work perfectly with both those pants.

4. fiddlestyx

fiddlestyx Active Member

I'v been lurking for a while but am ready to start making some purchases so I figured I would throw it out to the people and hope for some advice.

I recently started a new job that requires more professional dress (suit/blazer or slacks+tie) than my previous position and am now in need of more dress shoes. I currently have a pair of AE McGraw in black cordovan and some ugly brown oxford lace-ups that I've been wearing while I try to plan out my next couple AE purchases. Walnut Strands will be my next purchase, but I'm undecided on the next. I was looking at either Park/Fifth Ave in a brown shade but can't decide between Fifth Ave in brown or Park in dark brown or bourbon. Or, with the walnut Strands, would I be better off getting either the Fifth or Park in black?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

5. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Of course much of it comes down to personal preference. If you have the chance to see these in person I highly recommend doing that. For instance, I was considering bourbon Park Ave but when I saw them in the store I decided otherwise. For me, any brown darker than walnut needs some kind of broguing. I didn't like any dark brown or bourbon in Park or Fifth Ave but loved the Strand. Again, personal preference but for me it was much better to see them in person if you have the ability.

6. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

If you aren't near an AE store or outlet, or a Nordstrom or other dealer, scroll through member pics on the right side of this forum. There are hundreds upon hundreds of photos of nearly every AE shoe, and most look far better than in their AE website pics. Good luck to you! J
    EDIT: In case it wasn't plain, this comment is directed to Fiddle's post above

7. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Hi guys,

Looking at buying a PA from the tentsale , I don't own any AE ,anybody knows how the sizing compares to Alden's Barrie last? Heard that the PA runs long and narrow?was thinking going with an E wide and half size smaller?

Also do you know if the Tensale allows returns/refunds in case they're not a good fit.

Thanks.

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Ah just save yourself the trouble and buy shells . You know thats all you want[​IMG]

9. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Anybody else have an opinion?

10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

What about Ralph Lauren Sanderson in tan/khaki? The khaki material is breathable (not normal leather) and great for summer. They often have seconds available.

[​IMG]

11. fiddlestyx

fiddlestyx Active Member

Any suggestions on a darker brown shoe to consider looking at when I stop in?

Thanks for the responses.

I have a AE store near work so I'll have to stop in again. Last time I was in, I just looked at the walnut strands and fell in love with them. I really just wish I could buy them all, seems much easier than choosing one over the other.

12. fiddlestyx

fiddlestyx Active Member

If only my wallet would allow it! [​IMG]

13. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

It would be difficult to give you an accurate comparison between Alden's Barrie and AE's 5 lasts, in my opinion, because neither run TTS. I, like most others, find the Barrie last runs up to a full size larger; AE's 5 last is definitely narrow.

The Tent Sale does allow returns, just don't scuff up the soles

14. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Senior member

I would probably just keep them but email AE and see If they would do anything about it. At the price of mto, it shouldn't have a flaw like that.

15. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

+1. What a gorgeous shoe. J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.