• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two year old Walnut Strands. I don't find myself wearing them very much in the winter anymore, but, since the weather warmed up, I've been wearing them 1-2 times a week. Still one of my favorite shoes for fit and aesthetics.

Related question: I find they are taking on more of a reddish tone after years of polishing with AE's walnut polish. Any suggestions on a specific polish color to introduce a little more brown to the equation without darkenng them up much more? I fear a medium brown may darken them up too much and a tan color won't add any brown to the mix.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two year old Walnut Strands. I don't find myself wearing them very much in the winter anymore, but, since the weather warmed up, I've been wearing them 1-2 times a week. Still one of my favorite shoes for fit and aesthetics.

Related question: I find they are taking on more of a reddish tone after years of polishing with AE's walnut polish. Any suggestions on a specific polish color to introduce a little more brown to the equation without darkenng them up much more? I fear a medium brown may darken them up too much and a tan color won't add any brown to the mix.

Beautiful shoes.
nod[1].gif

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I trust you guys and I love this forum.

I ran into some Gucci Horsebit loafers @ Nordstrom Rack last night.

They were $95 and normally $595.

What do you think? Should I pull the trigger?

This is what they look like --> http://www.gucci.com/us/styles/269653BLM001000#

FYI: I have the following shoes already:
AE Park Ave's in Black
AE Finch in Brown/Blue
AE Elgin in Tan
AE Townley in Brown Shell Corodvan
AE Montecito in Saddle Tan
RL Sanderson in Brown
RL Ansewn Beefrolls in Black
+
Assorted Quoddy & Rancourt boat shoes & camp mocs

As you can see my stuff tends to be on the more traditional time

I know this isn't an AE question, but I respect the opinions on here!

Thanks in advance fellas.

I would say it is your personal preference. I, personally, do not like horsebit loafers - just a personal thing. But if you like them and these fit like a glove, I would say that is a screaming bargain.

You will be wearing them so if you like them and $95 doesn't put you in financial distress, I would say go for it.

Chris

tampatravel

Reaction score
I would say it is your personal preference. I, personally, do not like horsebit loafers - just a personal thing. But if you like them and these fit like a glove, I would say that is a screaming bargain.

You will be wearing them so if you like them and $95 doesn't put you in financial distress, I would say go for it.

Chris

one question...what in the WORLD would I wear with those? Selvage Denim? Dress Pants...?

jguyette

Reaction score
As an FYI...
The shoe bank is getting rid of a number of the baseball-themed boat shoes for $19.00 a pair. The selection isn't great, so you might end up with a logo you don't care for. For less than $20, I'm just happy to have a pair for chasing the kids.
The model I purchased is the Sandlot. They are beat up looking to begin with, but I think they are neat.

guasc1

Reaction score
one question...what in the WORLD would I wear with those? Selvage Denim? Dress Pants...?
Those Gucci loafers call for dark (black/grey) denims or dress pants and white shirt. Black blazer optional.
Not my favorite style, but a lot of my Italian friends (I am Italian myself) swear by it.
It is definitely not a casual shoe, but not a dressy one.
Difficult to match or showcase (again, based on my preferences).
It's an Italian thing..

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF group think would be in serious conflict on this one. On the one hand, the bargain-hunting obsessed would be all about kopping these for $95, while the good taste purists would say pass because they are black horsebit loafers and that only formal shoes should be black.

My advice is to think about what you will wear them with, how often you will wear them, judge how well they fit and then determine if they are worth $95 to you.
However, if they were horse "leather" shoes, all this purist talk goes out the window. I'd be like this:

tampatravel

Reaction score
Those Gucci loafers call for dark (black/grey) denims or dress pants and white shirt. Black blazer optional.
Not my favorite style, but a lot of my Italian friends (I am Italian myself) swear by it.
It is definitely not a casual shoe, but not a dressy one.
Difficult to match or showcase (again, based on my preferences).
It's an Italian thing..

As a guy who's wearing Facconable Khakis, saddle oxfords, a white shirt, and a seersucker jacket to work today (with a bow tie of course!)...these probably aren't for me. I might just pick them up and flip them on the bay.

microbrew

Reaction score
Is the "Brooks Brothers Fifth Ave" the "Perforated Captoes" on the Brooks Brothers website? On the Brooks Brothers site it doesn't say in the description that it's made by Allen Edmunds... but they certainly look the same.

Anyways, for this sale, why is it that the BB models are so much cheaper than the others? Like the BB strand and BB fifth ave, both of which i'm looking to buy, are $159 for BB model instead of $229 for AE.

Thanks!

ddgdl

Reaction score
Is the "Brooks Brothers Fifth Ave" the "Perforated Captoes" on the Brooks Brothers website? On the Brooks Brothers site it doesn't say in the description that it's made by Allen Edmunds... but they certainly look the same.

Anyways, for this sale, why is it that the BB models are so much cheaper than the others? Like the BB strand and BB fifth ave, both of which i'm looking to buy, are $159 for BB model instead of $229 for AE.

Thanks!

The BB models have the combination sole instead of straight leather, and cannot be recrafted by AE. Probably does not matter that much to many people- indeed, I just picked up a pair of the BB walnut strands to go with my AE bourbon strands :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads