1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

I hear that. My first foray into shell was with a pair of black Leeds. "Black bluchers? What'll I do with those?" said a voice in the back of my head, before I beat it to death with a shoehorn. Now I wear 'em easily once a week.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I find that my 5 and 8 lasted shoes fit similarly. I wear thin dress socks with them and I actually size down by 1/2 in each of said lasts. The 8 last is one of AE's best, and it is underutilized IMO.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I love AE's 8 last, but I agree with Quadcammer that it is narrower than the 5 last. My 8 last Delrays get worn less and less due to how tight they are in the toe box.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

A black shell PTB = good choice. I own 2 pairs.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

I could never wear those with shorts. Just not for me.

6. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The 8 last is pretty tight across the toes. I'm not sure if it is tighter than the 5, but I would go up a width in the 8-last from your normal Brannock size.

7. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

I wear an 8.5D in the Vernon (8) and 8E in the Strand & McAllister (5) and all three are perfect fits. The best fit in the Kenilworth (5) was 7.5E, though it isn't optimal (I tried 8 different sizes, shame because I love this style). My Cliftons (8) are 8.5D, but they are a bit looser than the Vernon. I'm not sure if this is because they run a bit longer or because they have open lacing. I would like to get the Delray (8, open lacing) in the future and will probably order 8.5D and 8D to see which fits better. I also have the Hale (8) in 8.5E, but that was the only size available during a closeout sale. It fits fine with a superfeet insert.

The 8 last is a bit tight on the pinky toe for about the first 5-7 wearings, but eventually they break in to a perfect fit for me.

Last edited: May 17, 2013

8. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

Thanks! Though i'm still not sure why BB doesn't say they're made by AE on their website for this specific shoe while it does for some others. Maybe AE doesn't make them anymore, but they used to, so thats why they are selling them from the AE outlets? Who knows. These are the ones i'm referring to.

One more question - Do these types of sales happen often? When could I expect to see these prices again? I really shouldn't buy more than one pair at the moment but if I cant get this deal again until February I'd probably pull the trigger on two pairs.

Thanks again.

9. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior Member

I not sure about bit as ic not a fan of the shoe in general but I do wear a Rancourt in caramel shell penny loafer with shorts and one in espresso shell

10. sevenfoldtieguy

Interesting ....

If anything, I would put the 5 slightly more narrow than the 8, and the Kenilworth - a 5 lasted shoe - is the only 5 lasted shoe I have ever purchased that was actually too small/tight in both length and width in my normal 5 last size. I'm not a huge fan of the Kenilworth anyhow - so I sold them to a friend whose feet are a 1/2 size smaller than mine.

The Delray is one of the best fitting shoes AE makes (for my foot anyway).

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Fear not, those are definitely AE's. I noticed way back when they first introduced them, they didn't mention AE initially. Later, they began marketing them as "Allen Edmonds expressly for Brooks Brothers" or something of that nature. The ones you are looking at are probably just remnants of the initial offerings.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

No problem. I too find some Penny Loafers go well with shorts - e.g., brown calf/shell Patriot, whiskey or ravello LHS, etc.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I've logged many miles over the past 1.5 years in my Delrays, so they're not going to break in anymore. The perils of getting older as my foot has grown wider since I originally purchased the Delrays. Sizing up to an E width is also not an option for me as my heel swims in the shoe. I've come to accept that I should not buy any more 8 last shoes and the 1 and 5 last are as narrow as I go.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

Yes, it should be standard service at any good shoe store.

You'll hear people reference a "Brannock" device. This is a metal shoe measuring thinagmajig. This is what you want them to measure you with. Every shoe store has one, as do shoe departments in good department stores. if you don't have an AE near you, you can even go to a Johnston and Murphy.

Totally standard procedure. Don't feel like you're putting anyone out by asking for this.

15. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior Member

Literally all I have right now is a pair of black kenilworths, so these would be a nice way to round out the collection. They both cost the same as seconds from AE, and I have no idea how either one will fit (if the brooks strand is on the 5 last like my kenilworths, that can be expected to be similar).

I must say the brooks pictures are absolutely awful, they make the leather look like polished/corrected grain...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.