• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know the nam of this now discontinued Allen Edmonds model?

Fabian43

Reaction score
if you wanna call them ask for Kelsey, she is very prompt and helpful. Otherwise ask for Kristle as she is the manager and can give you an additional discount, at least she did for me this morning.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received my BB Walnut Loafers (Presido's) and inspected them.  They look fine, a few cosmetic issues which is why they are seconds but nothing really noticeable.  What is noticeable is the heel slippage on both feet.  I am normally a 10D in the 5 last so I tried the same with these but I'm reluctant to try and size down as I think that might be to small.  I'm wondering if I need to try a loafer in a different last?  Visually I like the BB loafer because it seemed sleeker than the Patriot.  Plus I really liked the walnut.  

Any feedback?  I'm going to call the store and see what they say but I was wondering if this could also be a width issue.  The ball of my foot feels snug so that is why I didn't think that was it but who knows.

I go down in width for all my loafers to get a fit that is more snug (including in the heel).

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
I've recently lost quite a bit of weight (60 lbs) have wondered if my foot has gotten smaller.

I've noticed that in certain shoes I have to draw the laces extra tight or that the two sides of the shoe too easily come together. Not exactly sure it warrants going down 1/2 size or going to a C from a D since the shoes do feel fine, but would appreciate some opinions.

In my Park Aves, Strands, McAllisters, I have never been anything but an 11.5D.

Take a look at this picture and please tell me if It looks poor fitting:

I am contemplating purchasing a pair of Park Aves in Merlot. Anyone have pictures comparing calf in merlot versus shell cordovan in burgundy? Especially in Park Aves?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was able to get to a different AE store today and had a much more pleasant experience. I found my correct size and width in the Leeds and then tried on the Dalton. The D width fit perfectly on the Leeds; however, it was more snug in the Dalton. It was not uncomfortable but it was snug. I then tried the E width Dalton and it was of course roomier but not sloppy. I would say the D overall fit better but the touch of extra width was also nice. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am also thinking that due to the stiffer nature of cordovan as opposed to the calf I tried on that it may not be pulled quite as tight on the last and therefor be a bit roomer as well...
My shell shoes and boots fit just slightly larger than calf in the same models for the reason you stated. Not enough to change width or size in my experience, just a little bit. My walnut shell Dalton's actually have a little more room in them than my calf and shell Leeds however that could just be my particular boot.
Are mustang shell cordovan the same as regular?

Given the prevalence of mustangs suggested in the linked article, one might reasonably expect downward pressure on shell prices

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/05/09/4839933/government-cant-find-room-for.html
I wish, but the problem is that like the article said there are no slaughter houses in the US for horses, the last one closed 6 years ago. That was when the Federal Government made slaughter of horses illegal in the US from pressure of groups that have a tendency to humanize horses and other animals such as PETA. And that doesn't stand for People Eating Tasty Animals unfortunately. They overturned that about a year or two ago however no slaughter houses have opened since then. Horses in the US are taken to Mexico and Canada to be slaughter ever since the ban and still are.
dude, are you serious? my kenilworth's are AE seconds...has anyone else had direct AE outlet experience with exchanging slightly worn shoes for a better size?
I just packed a pair of CXL and black calf Bayfield's up to send back for exchange of a gift card for what I paid for them. One is a second. With the poron insole I really needed to size up a half size but wore them for 2 years pushing through the tightness anyhow. It is AE CS that is buying them back, not the outlet and I told her they have been worn hard and are not resalable. She didn't care how worn they were, she was the one that told me she was buying them back, I didn't even consider asking and wouldn't even dream of it given their condition and length of time worn. The CXL is a past slightly worn, this is between the Boundary Water Canoe Area and North Shore of Lake Superior last year:

You need to call and ask, it is the only way you will know.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
I've recently lost quite a bit of weight (60 lbs) have wondered if my foot has gotten smaller.

I've noticed that in certain shoes I have to draw the laces extra tight or that the two sides of the shoe too easily come together. Not exactly sure it warrants going down 1/2 size or going to a C from a D since the shoes do feel fine, but would appreciate some opinions.

In my Park Aves, Strands, McAllisters, I have never been anything but an 11.5D.

Take a look at this picture and please tell me if It looks poor fitting:

I am contemplating purchasing a pair of Park Aves in Merlot. Anyone have pictures comparing calf in merlot versus shell cordovan in burgundy? Especially in Park Aves?

Thank you.
No one is going to be able to look at this and tell if it is poor fitting.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is going to be able to look at this and tell if it is poor fitting.

Agreed, but it's pretty much a given his foot is smaller if he lost 60 pounds. He should go get fitted by AE to see what is current size is.

Veridis

Reaction score
Hmm.. I already have the Black Park avenues, Walnut Strand, Merlot Mcallister and grey long branch.

Should I add a brown Fifth avenue to the collection?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads