• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score

I got my new brown shell patriots yesterday. Used Renomat to remove excess creme, the lotioned and brushed the you know what out of them. They looked great. I put them on this a.m. And totally concurred with the comment that the felt like a slipper. I have the calf patriots and these are way more comfortable. After having them on or about 15 minutes I noticed very defined ripples already on the top of the shoe ( as seen in the pic). Not quite sure what to think about that, but I do love the feel. Great value for the price of $359.

Last edited:

Al in Philly

Reaction score

I got my new brown shell patriots yesterday. Used Renomat to remove excess creme, the lotioned and brushed the you know what out of them. They looked great. I put them on this a.m. And totally concurred with the comment that the felt like a slipper. I have the calf patriots and these are way more comfortable. After having them on or about 15 minutes I noticed very defined ripples already on the top of the shoe ( as seen in the pic). Not quite sure what to think about that, but I do love the feel. Great value for the price of $359.
I think they look great, and I think the ripples are great. Shoe character my man!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine rippled at the top of the shoe as well. I think it has something to do with how easily the shoe flexes to make it feel like a slipper.

Pastor

Reaction score

Our care for shell and shoes is pretty much identical. I purchase VSC from the AE outlets for $5 a bottle. In the thread I mentioned earlier I posted that I will give up my Reno when they pry it from my cold dead hands. That is a bit of an extreme statement but if it was the last jar on earth I wouldn't give it up without a fight LOL. 75 degrees yesterday but cold and up to half a foot of snow today and a few more inches tomorrow. I will be thankful when I can put away my winter wear for the year! Well both of course...
devil.gif
I just purchased another container of Saphir Reno. Someone was complaining about price. I know it is a little more expensive than some other products but we are talking about shoes that retail at almost $600. I have several pair of Alden shells that cost over $700 and some of my Carmina shoes were in the $850 range so 20 bucks for some quality shoe lotion/cream is acceptable to me.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in my conversation with the SWAT team today, I found out that the part number for the shell leather used in brown shell and dark brown shell is exactly the same. The difference between my Dundees and Strands is due to the natural variation in shells. Even though mine are the same part number, I still think there is a great variation between the two pairs.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cappuccino shell McAllisters are coming today! Also just placed an order for walnut/cappuccino shell Sheltons and Walnut shell MacNeils. Feeling poor but happy. This was an excellent opportunity!

Pastor

Reaction score

Our care for shell and shoes is pretty much identical. I purchase VSC from the AE outlets for $5 a bottle. In the thread I mentioned earlier I posted that I will give up my Reno when they pry it from my cold dead hands. That is a bit of an extreme statement but if it was the last jar on earth I wouldn't give it up without a fight LOL. 75 degrees yesterday but cold and up to half a foot of snow today and a few more inches tomorrow. I will be thankful when I can put away my winter wear for the year! Well both of course...
devil.gif
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that is was 73 here yesterday. For the next 10 days the forecast is in the mid-70's as the high. What's snow???

bucksfan

Reaction score

They look great! Mine are rippling in the same place - nothing to worry about, in fact it's just part of the character of such an unstructured shoe.

Our care for shell and shoes is pretty much identical. I purchase VSC from the AE outlets for $5 a bottle. In the thread I mentioned earlier I posted that I will give up my Reno when they pry it from my cold dead hands. That is a bit of an extreme statement but if it was the last jar on earth I wouldn't give it up without a fight LOL.

75 degrees yesterday but cold and up to half a foot of snow today and a few more inches tomorrow. I will be thankful when I can put away my winter wear for the year!
Well both of course...
devil.gif

I still use T-shirts for applying wax and polishing. After years of doing so I know the feel I am looking for when polishing and only use a very little bit of wax at a time, I have a hard time getting use to the feel of anything else. For applying Alden Waterproofer I use an old synthetic sock that doesn't absorb much of it but transfers it to the shoe rather well. Originally I used the MF cloths for just final buffing. Previously I used nylon stockings for final polish however they always did leave swirl marks, had to look close but they were there. MF cloths do not. I use the MF cloths around the house for cleaning and also for cleaning the vehicle inside and out as they really pick up dirt and are something like 8X more absorbent than cotton. When I was cleaning a new pair of shell PA in the garage I did the first pass with Reno and a T-shirt and glanced at the MF cloths I used for cleaning the vehicle and thought I'd try one on a second pass.

The blue MF cloth is after I had already cleaned with the T-shirt and Reno. So I now use them for the Mac method, Reno and cleaning, and final buffing.

I agree on the Renovateur - and I'll echo a comment someone else made: Just like most things in life, It is all about moderation. I know it's tempting to use lots of product on the shoes we just paid lots of money for, but the truth is too much product can hurt them.

I use Renovateur on my shell cordovan shoes. Mostly VSC and polish on the few calfskin shoes I have. I use the "Mac" method on all of them: I.E. a damp rag and brushing is the primary care, and I do this every 1-2 wears (basically 1x every 45 days). For my shell cordovan shoes, they probably get 1 treatment of Renovateur per year, and a very light application at that. They just don't need much product.

yesterday: burgundy shell Macneil, walking over to my lunch spot.

Pastor

Reaction score

My cappuccino shell McAllisters are coming today!  Also just placed an order for walnut/cappuccino shell Sheltons and Walnut shell MacNeils.  Feeling poor but happy.  This was an excellent opportunity!

This is awesome. I love the cappuccino and walnut colors. I've had two boots in Walnut shell (the first pair came unstitched so AE replaced them). My first pair was light in color (almost Alden Whiskey light) and the second pair was a light brown that is closer to a pair of Alden Ravello that I use to own - (pics can still be seen in my signature).

I love the cappuccino color more and more every time I wear my Dundees. They are becoming my favorite pair of shell shoes.

I understand the "poor" feeling. Post pics when everything arrives. We want to live vicariously through your purchases.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My cappuccino shell McAllisters are coming today!  Also just placed an order for walnut/cappuccino shell Sheltons and Walnut shell MacNeils.  Feeling
poor but happy.  This was an excellent opportunity!

Did you order both, I can't decide.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they send you a sample I've seen varying degrees of walnut.

ckprax

Reaction score
I have been wanting a conservative brown captoe to wear with suits for a while now. I have a pair of black PA which I like but I find them a little round and stubby. This morning I received a pair of Rutledge seconds in dark brown.

Overall I think it is a beautiful shoe, the toes are a little square but they look very nice.

The leather on the independence collection is indeed softer than their normal offerings. The finishing on this pair is very good, the only construction defects seem to be an off-center back seem on the left shoe. This particular pair appears to have been worn quite a bit, there is a lot of creasing on the upper including the toecaps. Below is with shoe trees, it is worse when worn. Creases are inevitable but I like to be the one to make them. I may exchange or return these, I haven't decided yet.

For those who are curious how the 333 last compares to the 5. The PAs are 10E and the Rutledges are 10.5D.

I posted earlier that I got these for $223.20, however there was a miscommunication. When I requested a list of seconds in my size I received out of date excel sheets which listed the independence collection shoes for $279. With the Jeffersonville 20% off sale that would put them at $223.20+tax. I confirmed when I placed my order over the phone but I was charged $303.20+tax, which is 20% off $379.

Now, I received the list of shoes from a different outlet so this is not really an issue with the Jeffersonville store, other than the verbal confirmation and they may have misheard me.

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score
If the bowing is large enough that they consider the shoe defective they likely would still exchange it for you. Only way to know for sure is to call CS and they would have you send them in to check them. If it doesn't bother you as is then I wouldn't worry about it, some people are fine with bowing but for others it is distracting enough that it is difficult to live with.

Hard to beat AE edge dressing, most of us will tell you there is nothing better. I've never had it flake before. After you apply it make sure you take a rag and wipe off any excess. You may have gotten a bad bottle although I have never heard of that I'm sure it could happen, I would try another bottle.
I would skip the neutral wax polish personally. You shouldn't need it if your using burgundy polish already.
"amazonbasics microfiber cleaning cloth" and change the quality to the 48 pack for $28 and you get free shipping. And yes they are great for shoe care.

Well, the bowing is significant. The shoes are in immaculate condition still, but not sure if this is considered a defect or just poor fit. In any case, 99% of the people I encounter wouldn't notice the bowing anyways so I'll just keep them.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1

Is this the product you're talking about? I have it in black and a light brown color.. I find that when the edge dressing dries, it flakes off in little latex-y pieces.

Anyhow, on a different note, does anyone know if the AE Outlets ever sell shell Dundees? I don't mind picking up a pair of seconds as I plan on beating them to death anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads