Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    I got my new brown shell patriots yesterday. Used Renomat to remove excess creme, the lotioned and brushed the you know what out of them. They looked great. I put them on this a.m. And totally concurred with the comment that the felt like a slipper. I have the calf patriots and these are way more comfortable. After having them on or about 15 minutes I noticed very defined ripples already on the top of the shoe ( as seen in the pic). Not quite sure what to think about that, but I do love the feel. Great value for the price of $359.

Last edited: May 1, 2013

2. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I think they look great, and I think the ripples are great. Shoe character my man!

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Mine rippled at the top of the shoe as well. I think it has something to do with how easily the shoe flexes to make it feel like a slipper.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I just purchased another container of Saphir Reno. Someone was complaining about price. I know it is a little more expensive than some other products but we are talking about shoes that retail at almost $600. I have several pair of Alden shells that cost over $700 and some of my Carmina shoes were in the $850 range so 20 bucks for some quality shoe lotion/cream is acceptable to me.

5. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So in my conversation with the SWAT team today, I found out that the part number for the shell leather used in brown shell and dark brown shell is exactly the same. The difference between my Dundees and Strands is due to the natural variation in shells. Even though mine are the same part number, I still think there is a great variation between the two pairs.

6. polojock615

My cappuccino shell McAllisters are coming today! Also just placed an order for walnut/cappuccino shell Sheltons and Walnut shell MacNeils. Feeling poor but happy. This was an excellent opportunity!

7. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that is was 73 here yesterday. For the next 10 days the forecast is in the mid-70's as the high. What's snow???

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

They look great! Mine are rippling in the same place - nothing to worry about, in fact it's just part of the character of such an unstructured shoe.

I agree on the Renovateur - and I'll echo a comment someone else made: Just like most things in life, It is all about moderation. I know it's tempting to use lots of product on the shoes we just paid lots of money for, but the truth is too much product can hurt them.

I use Renovateur on my shell cordovan shoes. Mostly VSC and polish on the few calfskin shoes I have. I use the "Mac" method on all of them: I.E. a damp rag and brushing is the primary care, and I do this every 1-2 wears (basically 1x every 45 days). For my shell cordovan shoes, they probably get 1 treatment of Renovateur per year, and a very light application at that. They just don't need much product.

yesterday: burgundy shell Macneil, walking over to my lunch spot.

[​IMG]

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

This is awesome. I love the cappuccino and walnut colors. I've had two boots in Walnut shell (the first pair came unstitched so AE replaced them). My first pair was light in color (almost Alden Whiskey light) and the second pair was a light brown that is closer to a pair of Alden Ravello that I use to own - (pics can still be seen in my signature).

I love the cappuccino color more and more every time I wear my Dundees. They are becoming my favorite pair of shell shoes.

I understand the "poor" feeling. Post pics when everything arrives. We want to live vicariously through your purchases.

10. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

These look great! Mine have the same creasing.

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Did you order both, I can't decide.

12. polojock615

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Did they send you a sample I've seen varying degrees of walnut.

14. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I have been wanting a conservative brown captoe to wear with suits for a while now. I have a pair of black PA which I like but I find them a little round and stubby. This morning I received a pair of Rutledge seconds in dark brown.

[​IMG]

Overall I think it is a beautiful shoe, the toes are a little square but they look very nice.

The leather on the independence collection is indeed softer than their normal offerings. The finishing on this pair is very good, the only construction defects seem to be an off-center back seem on the left shoe. This particular pair appears to have been worn quite a bit, there is a lot of creasing on the upper including the toecaps. Below is with shoe trees, it is worse when worn. Creases are inevitable but I like to be the one to make them. I may exchange or return these, I haven't decided yet.

[​IMG]

For those who are curious how the 333 last compares to the 5. The PAs are 10E and the Rutledges are 10.5D.

[​IMG]

I posted earlier that I got these for $223.20, however there was a miscommunication. When I requested a list of seconds in my size I received out of date excel sheets which listed the independence collection shoes for $279. With the Jeffersonville 20% off sale that would put them at $223.20+tax. I confirmed when I placed my order over the phone but I was charged $303.20+tax, which is 20% off $379.

Now, I received the list of shoes from a different outlet so this is not really an issue with the Jeffersonville store, other than the verbal confirmation and they may have misheard me.

Last edited: May 1, 2013

15. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Well, the bowing is significant. The shoes are in immaculate condition still, but not sure if this is considered a defect or just poor fit. In any case, 99% of the people I encounter wouldn't notice the bowing anyways so I'll just keep them.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1

Is this the product you're talking about? I have it in black and a light brown color.. I find that when the edge dressing dries, it flakes off in little latex-y pieces.

Anyhow, on a different note, does anyone know if the AE Outlets ever sell shell Dundees? I don't mind picking up a pair of seconds as I plan on beating them to death anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.