• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pair of brown patriots and a burgundy belt enroute.. the money goes so quick lol

Pastor

Reaction score

Received my shell Patriot seconds this afternoon. Have to echo what everyone else has said regarding the shoe fitting like a slipper - wow!! My only hesitation is that the finish of the shoes is marred on both toes. It's slight enough that it is only visible in sunlight and pictures do not really show it. It looks like someone spilled something on the toes that ate through some of the finish. I'm thinking of keeping them and that a little Saphir brown cordovan polish might cover up the issue. Thoughts?
I liked them so much that I after I received the brown shell ones I ordered the burgundy shell as well. You need to hurry though as today is the last day of the sale you may never again be able to buy shell for $359. What with the shell shortage and all you may never have an opportunity to buy shell again at any price. I'm really joking around but $359 is a great price for shell. My brown ones had a little color variance on the upper as well and I used Saphir renovateur and some Alden brown wax and they now look like liquid chocolate. Could not be happier with the purchase. I wore them without socks yesterday and they were extremely comfortable.

Pastor

Reaction score

Trying to fill a hole in my shoe collection. I currently have: AE Parkway - Brown burnished calf AE Fifth Ave - Walnut calf AE Cortland - Black calf AE Neumok - Snuff suede Florsheim - Royal Imperial brown pebble grain calf (these are my Macneils I guess until I can afford the burgundy shell - then they go on Ebay) I was leaning toward the McAllister's in merlot/burgundy. I think that would be a pretty versatile shoe, but then again if I want Macneil's in the same color it might be unneeded. What about bourbon? Color wise it may not vary much from my Florsheim's, no? Sorry, lots of questions but I just want to consider as many angles as possible.
What about some chukka boots? Dundees are nice (especially in cordovan). Maybe a slip-on loafer style? What do you want them for? Casual or dress?

sungmineyo

Reaction score

Received my shell Patriot seconds this afternoon. Have to echo what everyone else has said regarding the shoe fitting like a slipper - wow!! My only hesitation is that the finish of the shoes is marred on both toes. It's slight enough that it is only visible in sunlight and pictures do not really show it. It looks like someone spilled something on the toes that ate through some of the finish. I'm thinking of keeping them and that a little Saphir brown cordovan polish might cover up the issue. Thoughts?
Try with saphir renovateur to remove imperfection at upper. Probably its factory polish.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those who think Saphir Renovateur is so good see (from the shoe care thread):

I don't apply reno to the vamp of my shoes anymore. All of my older shoes that got Lexol treatments for years are still around. After I fed my newer shoes all Saphir and reno diets they are all cracking and in bad shape. I think reno should only be used on non-flex areas has a light cleaner and polish. Essentially it is good for traveling and such. It isn't a good conditioner, I actually think it is a better solvent and probably contributed heavily to my cracked shoes. Now, I Lexol the vamp, reno everywhere else and wax polish the toe and heel. Essentially bad experiences with long term reno use has got me off the cool-aid.

Quote:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...ad-tutorials-photos-etc/4700_100#post_6316606

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

for those who think Saphir Renovateur is so good see (from the shoe care thread):

I like Reno, and have had only positive experiences with it.

Nick at BNelson Shoes uses various Saphir products, Reno included. He knows a thing or two about shoes. :D

Bzack

Reaction score
What about some chukka boots? Dundees are nice (especially in cordovan). Maybe a slip-on loafer style? What do you want them for? Casual or dress?
Good questions and thank you for the feedback. I do like the Dundees but have some Desert boots that I am waiting to wear out a bit more before I move into a nicer pair.

These would be mostly for casual use in the SF definition business casual environment to be more specific. I rarely wear a tie but do wear dress shirts, OCBD on Friday's. Wool, linen, flannel pants. I think McAllister's and Macneil's are more on that sort of casual side?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good questions and thank you for the feedback.  I do like the Dundees but have some Desert boots that I am waiting to wear out a bit more before I move into a nicer pair.  

These would be mostly for casual use in the SF definition business casual environment to be more specific.  I rarely wear a tie but do wear dress shirts, OCBD on Friday's.  Wool, linen, flannel pants.  I think McAllister's and Macneil's are more on that sort of casual side?

A shell cordovan Dundee would work just fine for your intended uses. As would a shell cordovan Leeds. I would suggest going with one of those models in burgundy shell. :nodding:

Pastor

Reaction score

I haven't read the entire thread but both post you quoted were by one member. I know for a fact that B. Nelson (arguably the best shoe guy in the U.S.) uses Saphir. So does Stephen at Leffot as well as Ron Rider. I'd be interested in knowing "which" ingredients are questionable. Sounds like gibberish to me. I use Saphir Reno on all my shell shoes and I use Saphir wax polish on all my calfskin shoes. I've never had any issues and that is with 25+ pair of shoes.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread but both post you quoted were by one member. I know for a fact that B. Nelson (arguably the best shoe guy in the U.S.) uses Saphir. So does Stephen at Leffot as well as Ron Rider. I'd be interested in knowing "which" ingredients are questionable. Sounds like gibberish to me. I use Saphir Reno on all my shell shoes and I use Saphir wax polish on all my calfskin shoes. I've never had any issues and that is with 25+ pair of shoes.
i guess the question is do they use or sell Saphir because it really performs the best, or just because people request it so much?

i also don't really get the impression that Stephen at Leffot knows a whole bunch about caring for shoes as exemplified by his video here where he is using way too much polish and stuff on shell cordovan and does it every 2 weeks?:

Last edited:

Bzack

Reaction score
A shell cordovan Dundee would work just fine for your intended uses. As would a shell cordovan Leeds. I would suggest going with one of those models in burgundy shell.
nod[1].gif
I guess the question would be, if I were to get Leeds what size? I'm a 10D in the 5 last but a 10.5C in the 4. I suppose a trip to the store would truly answer the question but off the top do you know how the 1 last fits?

Thanks!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess the question is do they use or sell Saphir because it really performs the best, or just because people request it so much?

i also don't really get the impression that Stephen at Leffot knows a whole bunch about caring for shoes as exemplified by his video here where he is using way too much polish and stuff on shell cordovan and does it every 2 weeks?:

So, let me get this straight, your argument is based on one poster's anecdotal experience. Yet, you are questioning whether we should listen to recognized experts due to your speculation that they just give the public what they want as opposed to doing what they believe is right?
tinfoil.gif

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. The whole thing with Patrick and DFW (I haven't bothered reading the links) started awhile back when Patrick was asking what is in VSC. The solvent thing came up then and damage, etc. There is no doubt that turpentine is in Venetian Shoe Cream you can certainly smell it. And I believe the ingredients that the turp come from is actually Venice turpentine which comes from the Western Larch tree. No one knows what is in VSC you can't even find it on a MSD. Yet Nick Horween recommends it for shell. Only a fool would say he doesn't know what he is talking about. And Reno is very similar to VSC in many regards.

And those 2 are talking about calf, not shell. DFW said that he is starting to use Bickmore Bick 4 more now and still experimenting with it. I have used it for years on my AE Wilbert's where I don't want to darken the stitching. And AE leather lotion is basically the same as Bickmore Bick 4 if not identical. But I still use Reno on shell and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Too much of ANY product isn't a good thing IMO.

Pastor

Reaction score

Agreed. The whole thing with Patrick and DFW (I haven't bothered reading the links) started awhile back when Patrick was asking what is in VSC. The solvent thing came up then and damage, etc. There is no doubt that turpentine is in Venetian Shoe Cream you can certainly smell it. And I believe the ingredients that the turp come from is actually Venice turpentine which comes from the Western Larch tree. No one knows what is in VSC you can't even find it on a MSD. Yet Nick Horween recommends it for shell. Only a fool would say he doesn't know what he is talking about. And Reno is very similar to VSC in many regards. And those 2 are talking about calf, not shell. DFW said that he is starting to use Bickmore Bick 4 more now and still experimenting with it. I have used it for years on my AE Wilbert's where I don't want to darken the stitching. And AE leather lotion is basically the same as Bickmore Bick 4 if not identical. But I still use Reno on shell and don't plan on changing anytime soon. Too much of ANY product isn't a good thing IMO.
I have some VSC as well and use it at times. I don't get as good a shine with it as I do with the reno. I bought the VSC on Nick Horween's recommendation and use it before I store my shoes for the season (like I just did with my boots). I'll also admit that most of the time I do't use anything on my shell shoes except a brush. Only when they are dirty or start getting scuffs will I break out the various products. For calf I mostly brush and then apply Saphir wax polish as needed.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided not to buy the chili Daltons, today I received an email from AE swat. The only question is walnut or cappacino? Thoughts gentlemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads