• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSchott

Reaction score
Also just noticed that the leather is a different color around the stitching near the laces. Am I being picky here, or is this really unacceptable for a pair of shoes that are supposed to be 1st quality replacements for a pair that was defective?

Bourbon is a color with various shades on purpose. It will age to a nice patina. As far as different widths, I have not experienced this with any AE shoes I've owned. Are you sure about this? it's also possible that your feet are different widths.

jjr4884

Reaction score
I thought the navy suede Strands looked pretty normal. The other three Web Gems are kind of out there, mainly due to the pink stitching on the brown and purple ones, and the shade of green used on the green one. Since I love the color purple, I am kind of intrigued by the purple suede Strand, but I have no idea how I'd wear purple shoes.

Since I have blue Neumoks, I would get the purple before the blue. Honestly, you would be surprised how awesome they would look at night. Jeans with a button down/sports coat, I feel would be the best way to pull those off. Other than that, I would wear them on a casual day in the office with the appropriate outfit, but I would also wear them with a few different pairs of casual pants that I have... gray/slate colored pants.

I almost purchased a pair of Cole Haans in that color just because the color is so bad ass and they looks awesome with raw denim.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=681097&productGroup=426291

The strands are a much better choice IMO

Also just noticed that the leather is a different color around the stitching near the laces. Am I being picky here, or is this really unacceptable for a pair of shoes that are supposed to be 1st quality replacements for a pair that was defective?

Thats nothing a little brown polish can't fix, I wouldn't worry about it.

wilbromarshall

Reaction score

It seems to me that you are unhappy with the shoes so why not just return them be done with it. You have already said "I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather enjoy the far superior product you can get for the additional $250 or so."

Simply put if you are not happy with the shoes return them to Allen Edmonds and find a company that you do like. Life is too short to worry about a company or product you don't like. :twocents"

BCer

Reaction score
Dalton corduroy kind of day
7yjunamy.jpg

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too narrow?? Where...which pic? They felt great on. I was referring to the stiching on the toe of thw shoe.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

There's no stitching on the toe. That's kind of the point of wholecuts.

If you're talking about the brogueing, I like it. But then again, I own the Fairfax in Chili and love them. Wouldn't ever wear them with jeans, though.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's no stitching on the toe.  That's kind of the point of wholecuts.

If you're talking about the brogueing, I like it.  But then again, I own the Fairfax in Chili and love them.  Wouldn't ever wear them with jeans, though.

broguing looks like genitalia if you ask me.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Saw the new Franciscan today in the flesh at the Philadelphia store. Definitely NOT my bag.

On a different note, I was there to pick up my walnut Players which I had sent in to get re-soled. I continue to be nothing but impressed with AE's re-crafting process, and it's a large part of why I buy AE shoes.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Today, I decided to very subtly give a little burnish to my walnut Sheltons. I think it came out pretty well, without looking like I stood too close to the fire.

Before:

After:

kentyman

Reaction score
Today, I decided to very subtly give a little burnish to my walnut Sheltons. I think it came out pretty well, without looking like I stood too close to the fire.

Before:

After:

Looks great. How'd you do it?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not recall seeing this already so here goes. A pic from that same Reddit thread that was mentioned earlier:

The OP said it from a friend that was taken at a "MRket expo in NYC"

Ya that pic was from a while ago. Honestly, I know they are "Cole Haan" like but there are a few I would wear all day long. The blue/purple suede strands are a great casual shoe. I don't understand what everyone has an issue with, last year someone posted a pic of (almost) the same shoe, a blue Alden suede wingtip with a very light natural sole. Perfect casual shoe for spring/summer and I think they could be dressed up a little more than you would expect as well.

In the back, I see what it looks like (from left to right) a cappucinno chukka, a few to the right is a rust colored one, and then the off white ones that I will definitely get for summer. Are those the Amoks or the Dundees? Whichever they are, I've tried them both on, super light, super comfortable.

Good eye and I think you are correct. The Dundee is a 3 eye chukka and the Amok has only 2 eyes so looks like several Dundee's in suede. And the cappucinno shell Dundee.

where are you all finding the shell daltons? I thought it was a one time thing?
It was. But I do know where a pair of walnut shell Dalton's are at an AE store (or were a few weeks ago) that never sold in 10D if your interested and they fit. Pretty sure they want full list price for them.

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw the new Franciscan today in the flesh at the Philadelphia store. Definitely NOT my bag.

On a different note, I was there to pick up my walnut Players which I had sent in to get re-soled. I continue to be nothing but impressed with AE's re-crafting process, and it's a large part of why I buy AE shoes.

This might be a silly question, but is there still a way to buy a pair of new walnut Players? I love the look of the walnut wingtip blucher. I actually really really wanted a pair of the RL Sandersons but missed the boat on that sale and even at the seconds price of $260, they don't have any in my size. The Players shoe would definitely fill that void for me, but I guess it's discontinued?

Last edited:

DJTraveler

Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but is there still a way to buy a pair of new walnut Players? I love the look of the walnut wingtip blucher. I actually really really wanted a pair of the RL Sandersons but missed the boat on that sale and even at the seconds price of $260, they don't have any in my size. The Players shoe would definitely fill that void for me, but I guess it's discontinued?

I'd call the Shoebank first. They may have some 2nds still available. The next option would be Nordstrom Rack or eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads